Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi for some time I have to make sure the key sits at just the correct spot to have all lights on and able to start.
Once started generally it's good

I suspect dirty connections and I know pulling it apart or replacing is the best option but will spraying contact cleaner do the job at least in the short term. Will it make things worse??

Lazy Paul

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,600 Posts
Could well do the trick until a pull apart. I use it inside indicator block when they get intermittent, and will pull them apart some time and do a proper number. It evaporates quickly, so work it a few times as soon as you spray. Its not the fix, but could well be a bandaid. Always keep a can at home.

·
Super Moderator
12,854 Posts
The contacts are in a separate unit on the base of the barrel so it depends where you spray the contact cleaner!
Spray it in the keyhole and you run the risk of drying out the tumblers so the key may get stiffer to turn.
Spray some in at the base and it might get through to the contacts.

IMG_1253.JPG IMG_1318.JPG

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - I'll look at pulling it apart soon - I think there was a post by TheDuck a while back on that cheers

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
The contacts are in a separate unit on the base of the barrel so it depends where you spray the contact cleaner!
Spray it in the keyhole and you run the risk of drying out the tumblers so the key may get stiffer to turn.
Spray some in at the base and it might get through to the contacts.
This is definitely what will happen.They are coated in a light grease, contact cleaner just washes it off. You have to get the bottom off.

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,600 Posts
Graphite is the classic lock and key tumbler lubricant. Ive used it kn the bird, and works great. Any concern about water rain getting in as well has never eventuated. But as mentioned the contacts are in seperate area at base. Different place, definitely not for graphite.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
we had some very heavy rain here - did the usual turn and fiddle to get all lights on (not as bad as it sounds) and start. I'll look at pulling it apart -presuming I have the right tools this weekend I prefer to do it right - :thumb: cheers

·
Super Moderator
12,854 Posts
You need 'security' bits to get into the contacts normal bits won't fit due to the pin in the centre.

Reactions: PJM
1 - 12 of 12 Posts