Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone look at the new 2022 Busa? I was reading my Road Runner magazine and they had a review on it.
I have always thought the Busa was butt ugly. This year I was struck by the body changes. It sure is similar looking to a Bird in many ways from a side profile. Something you wouldn't be surprised that the Bird might easily have evolved to in 13 years if they would have continued to produce it.
That brings up another philosophical question... Suzuki still makes the BUSA. KAWASAKI still makes the ZX as a 1400. BMW makes a 1600. Why didn't Honda continue the BIRD?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I think sensible Honda made the blackbird by accident, then came to their senses and sent all future plans for development into the shredder.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think sensible Honda made the blackbird by accident, then came to their senses and sent all future plans for development into the shredder.
Did you tap on the link and see the side shot of the Busa? What do you think? I think it looks a lot like a Bird with some edges.
Glad they got crazy for a bit and I am lucky enough to have the result!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Initially I disliked the new Hayabusa, but its been growing on me. I finally saw one in person yesterday. I like it more now, but the FJR is better for what you pay. Cheaper buy with shaft-drive, luggage and centerstand. I'm just waiting for my BB to die and that will be a while.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Fuel tank
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
54 Posts
Initially I disliked the new Hayabusa, but its been growing on me. I finally saw one in person yesterday. I like it more now, but the FJR is better for what you pay. Cheaper buy with shaft-drive, luggage and centerstand. I'm just waiting for my BB to die and that will be a while.
God that looks erotic. I like my black bird, but if I had $32,000 AUD to burn, I'd buy one in the drop of a hat.
There is no replacement for modernity. I want something that doesnt have flat spots all over the rev range or nearly 20 year old brakes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Anyone look at the new 2022 Busa? I was reading my Road Runner magazine and they had a review on it.
I have always thought the Busa was butt ugly. This year I was struck by the body changes. It sure is similar looking to a Bird in many ways from a side profile. Something you wouldn't be surprised that the Bird might easily have evolved to in 13 years if they would have continued to produce it.
That brings up another philosophical question... Suzuki still makes the BUSA. KAWASAKI still makes the ZX as a 1400. BMW makes a 1600. Why didn't Honda continue the BIRD?

It does resemble our bb's, but still a bit ugly for my liking.

I wish they make a new BB, I'd be all over it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
God that looks erotic. I like my black bird, but if I had $32,000 AUD to burn, I'd buy one in the drop of a hat.
There is no replacement for modernity. I want something that doesnt have flat spots all over the rev range or nearly 20 year old brakes.
Flat spots?? what is the matter with your engine. mine got no probs pulls hard out

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
About 5 years ago I was looking to for a Busa like this www.2040-motos.com/_content/cars/images/94/248994/001.jpg but they all were $5K and up. A decent blackbird came up for sale for 1/2 that. After a little research I realized that the Honda was worth a look, and then I discovered this site which was an added bonus.
I was looking at bikes for something to do on the computer and was surprised at how much used Busa 's were going for.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have any flat spots either. New stainless steel reinforced lines, new rotors and good pads and the brakes are pretty good. In the twisty roads I just keep the revs around 7K and the brakes are fine. I was on a newer BMW with modern brakes and every time I touched them I was almost thrown over the fairing for the first 25 miles. I started using just the back brakes as we weren't in any corners. I never thought I would ever say... those brakes are to good. I like a little forgiveness!

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,614 Posts
I noted this resemblance about 7 months ago in a thread when i saw the 2021 release busa. I can agree with you xxguy.

·
Registered
450 Posts
:ROFLMAO:....... A few years ago, I was in my cousin's workshop servicing my BB with his expertise on tap. He was modifying an "engine" for a good customer of his....... it was a 1500cc Blackbird if I recall correctly...... if I don't, it was still a lot bigger capacity than the mere 1100cc I have in mine.

The project was completed and he later told me that the owner was stoked with the outcome. A few months later I found out the owner had unfortunately crashed his 'Big Bird'...... maybe the extra power was just too much without all the modern era traction control and electrickery to keep it in check........ maybe he was simply unlucky.

Anyway, just imagine if Honda had taken up the challenge with Suzuki and Cow-a-saki, and matched them cc-cc with a 1400 Big Bird...... :devilish: ........ CBR1400XXX Super Bird........ :D .

Reactions: XXGUY

·
Registered
139 Posts
:ROFLMAO:....... A few years ago, I was in my cousin's workshop servicing my BB with his expertise on tap. He was modifying an "engine" for a good customer of his....... it was a 1500cc Blackbird if I recall correctly...... if I don't, it was still a lot bigger capacity than the mere 1100cc I have in mine.

The project was completed and he later told me that the owner was stoked with the outcome. A few months later I found out the owner had unfortunately crashed his 'Big Bird'...... maybe the extra power was just too much without all the modern era traction control and electrickery to keep it in check........ maybe he was simply unlucky.

Anyway, just imagine if Honda had taken up the challenge with Suzuki and Cow-a-saki, and matched them cc-cc with a 1400 Big Bird...... :devilish: ........ CBR1400XXX Super Bird........ :D .

They just need to re-issue a new bird, and improve the handling (and add ABS), as that's the weakest point on this awesome machine.

😎

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
....... A few years ago, I was in my cousin's workshop servicing my BB with his expertise on tap. He was modifying an "engine" for a good customer of his....... it was a 1500cc Blackbird if I recall correctly...... if I don't, it was still a lot bigger capacity than the mere 1100cc I have in mine.

That would be awesome and along with it... better suspension and brakes. 1400 CC at 7,000 rpm would be a handful. Whatever happened to that engine... that's what I would be asking my cousin right now!

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
They just need to re-issue a new bird, and improve the handling (and add ABS), as that's the weakest point on this awesome machine.

But the price tag would be high. Who amongst us would pay for it? That is the 18,000 to 22,000 US dollar question.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I tried three times to express my view as to why Honda never developed the Blackbird, but every time I started writing I’d burst into tears! 😢

Try explaining that one to your Mrs when she enters the room unexpectedly… It ain’t easy, I’m tellin’ ya…🤓

I still can't bring myself to admire the 'Busa, either. It doesn't look fast and, to me, it looks uncomfortable and brings back very clear memories of how I felt, years ago, when I last sat on one. Maybe I'll go back and try again...

...but it won't be any day soon. 😉

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't think anyone can dispute the power and performance of the 'Busa, but it's one of the ugliest bikes ever made. The styling is something that I simply couldn't cope with tbh, and I still remember a comment a mate made when they first hit the market..."it looks like a squeezed turd"!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't think anyone can dispute the power and performance of the 'Busa, but it's one of the ugliest bikes ever made. The styling is something that I simply couldn't cope with tbh, and I still remember a comment a mate made when they first hit the market..."it looks like a squeezed turd"!

yes i agree very much with your opinion, I never liked bikes that didnt appeal to the general tyre kickers, to my surprize i was swayed by looks alot of bikes out there are butt like ugly yamaha R1 2009 bug eye they looked hideous and it rode like crap, felt like crap, my 08 model stunning to look at sweet to ride, i owned a cbr1000rr 2008 ugly from the front and side i never liked it. i never liked the first gen busa either my m8 owned one so i kind of got used to it and as i had the bird and i thought why not give a gen 2 shot so i picked up a nice gen 2 only a few grand more than the bird. , these beasts will go 250klm in third gear soak up road bumps super plush riding and really agile despite the size. also one fact i didnt know was the ecu is factory detuned the engine timing is retarded in the first to forth gear and secondary injectors dont start untill 6500rpm and speed limited to 300 all this can be ecu flashed to make more gains but Suzuki did a great job in restricting the power to make it ultra smooth in any gear it will cruise around town in 6th. the blackbird owners own a peice of history even kind of regard the busa as an arch rival, a long time ago, my number one observation of my gen2 busa is just super plush riding with enormous reputation i always get to ride other guys bikes as theyre always keen to swap and its hard to get them off the busa, i cant get any one to ride the bird

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just wish Honda would start a performance parts division that offered upgrades to various components on older bikes. For the bird they could offer an upgraded suspension and brake package. Maybe a better seat. Lighter wheels. Maybe a 4-1 exhaust system. Possibly an LED light kit. That's about it on my wish list. I think they'd make money doing that.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I just wish Honda would start a performance parts division that offered upgrades to various components on older bikes. For the bird they could offer an upgraded suspension and brake package. Maybe a better seat. Lighter wheels. Maybe a 4-1 exhaust system. Possibly an LED light kit. That's about it on my wish list. I think they'd make money doing that.
You can do all that aftermarket and for a lot less... I have done it. I even started a thread "Interesting Farkles" for people to post their mods up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts