Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The XX is sitting down in the barn for the winter. She has no bags or trunk on and I need to have some sort of touring machine to replace the totaled 2012 Wing before summer when my wife wants to go out west. Last night I took my full grown in body 15 yr old daughter out and looked at a pretty Dark Cherry 2007 FJR with bags and trunk. 18,000 miles on it for $6,200. I would offer 5 or less. I could ride it for a year and decide to jilt the BB or the FJR. Wife doesn't ride the BB. Her attitude..."Why when I can ride in total comfort on the wing." So the BB is mine to go solo touring on.
Well the FJR wasn't as comfortable as I thought for giving up some of the joys of the BB so I got off the FJR and took the daughter out for dinner. I haven't had a chance to go down to the barn and apologize to my beautiful Candy Glory Red BB.:crap:

The whole evening started when #3 daughter told me she had to start thinking about what kind of bike she wanted to have when she was older! I told her to put on her shoes and jacket as soon as the dishes were done and I would show her a nice bike to think about...as I had been looking for a replacement and knew of some. She is 15 1/2 and will be in Drivers ED soon. While walking to the car I said "Hey" and threw her the keys. She had some back road experience but last night we went on the 70 MPH 4 lane.:eyebrows:

I'll be putting bags on the BB and I still want the Convertibars and Beestoy's mod for cruise control.:D

Reactions: Maplexx

·
Administrator
9,148 Posts
Be wary of the FJR's heating the legs issue. 06 was really bad it's not to much of an issue in temperate states but if your coming out west in the summer it could be a problem. There have been a couple of second degree burn issues.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Going to look at a 2010 ST1300 tomorrow. Have read about a high speed wobble problem with them when loaded. I wouldn't be going 110 when loaded but out west you can go 90 in some of the western States and not be bothered. She might (my superior half) go for a temporary stint on a 1300. I have to sit on one though. It's always been wings and the XX nothing else.

·
Keith Tidrick
221 Posts
Do some snooping on the ST sites - there is discussion there about the fix for the HS wobble.

Reactions: XXGUY

·
Registered
878 Posts
While I hope you find something to fit both your needs, keep in mind that just about any other sport tourer will most likely be a step down in passenger comfort compared to a Wing.

I've ridden with a lot of 2-up couples over the years. Many are still riding together, but for some the wives have opted to give up their pillion position. In just about every instance it's because hubby got a different bike with a less comfortable passenger seat/seating position.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks. Going to look at a 2010 ST1300 tomorrow. Have read about a high speed wobble problem with them when loaded. I wouldn't be going 110 when loaded but out west you can go 90 in some of the western States and not be bothered. She might (my superior half) go for a temporary stint on a 1300. I have to sit on one though. It's always been wings and the XX nothing else.
The ST1300 "wobble" thing is highly variable from bike to bike and person to person. For instance I have not experienced it at all. Single, 2 up, loaded, unloaded well into triple digits. I think it is a lot to do with making sure tires are good, running correct pressures, the rear preload is cranked up, and the windshield is not set too high but YMMV. I ride with several FJR's and, from my point of view, the position is a bit more cramped than the ST but again, personal preference will win out. I don't think you will find anything in the sport-touring class that will be as comfortable for the pillion as the Wing though.

Rod

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well left the dealer in Milwaukee late. He had me on a K1600GT and LT. Nice bikes but after going home and reading reviews I think I will stick with a Honda.
Loraine said she wouldn't mind going west this year on the old 84 wing if it had some hard bags on it. "Hey, I could do that." She was surprised that I could. I figure GIVI would have some set up for it. (and I could use those same bags on the BB!!!).
Keep saving up for a new wing in the meantime.

Gina, I do know that comfort will go down. I brought Loraine along to see if the comfort level was acceptable.
I usually bring a kid along on trips instead of her for the last 12 years. She wants the kids to be old enough to take care of themselves if we both died in a bike accident. This year she wants to go. I guess she has seen to many GoPro videos and stories from the kids over the last three years and she wants to go again.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Just have to jump in here as I'm so pleased with my ST1300.....I have heard about issues with a wobble but I don't have one at all....and neither does my friend with his ST
I have owned and ridden Gold Wings and they are a gorgeous travelling machine obviously but I have to say I like my ST even better (I think because it's a little lighter to throw around)
.....the only change I made was having the stock seat cut out so I sat a little lower and she's golden.
The electric windshield on the ST is absolutely remarkable....at its highest position it's like sitting in your living room....the removable bags carry lots of cargo plus the
Givi top bag carries more than you need.
ST1300 is a sport touring bike like the BB
ST....80% touring 20% sport
CBR1100xx....20% touring and 80% sport...just my opinion.
Whichever way you go you'll have a great time....just had to throw in my vote as I'm so happy with my 2 bikes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Funny that the OP mentioned those three bikes. = )
They share our garage together.

We had the Wing first. My darling bride will not ride one anything else. (And she doesn't ride that much anyway, though that may change soon.) For 1000+ mile days, it would be my first choice.

Then, after 10 years of wanting a bit more 'fun', I got the FJR. Whee!
The Wing spent a lot of time on the Battery Tender - the FJR was (and is) so much more fun. Lighter, quicker, more agile. Great for everything - errands, weekend trips to NorCal, 700+ RTEs.
I quickly decided that if I could only have one bike, it would be the Wing... Leaving!

And then a guy in my town put his XX up for sale. $&!T! I'm not getting any younger and I WILL NOT go gentle into that good night without having a Blackbird.
I do not need to explain to this group, right?

Three bikes? Yeah, for now. All wonderful machines, but...
If my bride announced that she no longer wanted to ride, the Wing would be the first to go. Then the FJR.

RoXXane, you make me feel young!
(I don't know how Rose & Lucille put up with me.)
------

Back to the OP's search: so many great bikes, so little time. (And none better than the XX) Happy Hunting!

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She said she was ok on the ST maybe for a day ride or a weekend ride but not for a long trip. I don't have much more room so a fourth bike isn't an option now. I wouldn't mind going with a BB, ST, Wing mix like Bgross. I would have to sell my first ever bike the 84 wing to make room for an ST. Told myself I would never do that. Could give it to one of the kids.
On the wobble I thought the same thing. Good suspension and good tires properly inflated would take care of that. With the wings I always put on after market suspension for my style of riding. Usually keep up with most kids on sport bikes (Cause most don't know how to ride) and have been asked "Why do you ride an old man's bike?" (when I was 37)on the parking pad at work. I have four 90 degree sweepers going home. I ran up that kids tail pipe and the next day he called me a crazy $%@#&*^! I just laughed.
I think for now I'll work on outfitting the BB for longer touring. I found out that I tour totally different on the BB. On the wing I keep going and enjoy the roads and scenery. On the BB I go and still hunt down twisty roads but I stop and look at things that I would have passed on the wing just to stretch the legs but I have found out that I enjoy that type of thing more than I thought I would. Also I found out that after about a day my body must get used to the position on the BB and I can stay in the saddle much longer. A year ago I tried to go to Duluth MN in September. I Know I Know! But the weatherman said it was going to be in the 70's all week!! He lied and I was up by Wabasha fishing with a buddy and a cold front came through. I went home that evening bundled up. Stopped after an hour to warm up and then stayed in the saddle for 4 hours at 51 degrees and I was fine. So I think I can stick with the BB.
OldGeyser has some beetle bags for sale. I'm just trying to decide whether to get those or go for the Givi's. I like their look but I think Givi's are more practical (as in capacity).

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the hunt may be about over. Started really looking at the ST market. Found a silver 2007 ST1300A with the Pan European trunk with 28,000 miles on it. Not a scratch or blemish that I can tell. Said he had to have $6000. From what I can tell after hours of internet searching that is a good price for that year and miles and kick in the ABS to boot. Leaving to go look at it 9 hours away in 3 hours. Means I have to start saving for a wing all over again but I think having a BB and ST in the stable with the old 84 wing will be just fine for a few years!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Good for you....I'm betting you will be happy with the ST/BB combo plus your '84 in the background. It's funny....I have found that it's never a tough decision knowing which one to ride on a particular day.....you know when you get up in the morning!!
I didn't "love" my ST the first couple days....it's so different than my BB but she sure grows on you
ps: watch the ST speeding tickets....she's a tough one to rein in:popcorn:

Well the hunt may be about over. Started really looking at the ST market. Found a silver 2007 ST1300A with the Pan European trunk with 28,000 miles on it. Not a scratch or blemish that I can tell. Said he had to have $6000. From what I can tell after hours of internet searching that is a good price for that year and miles and kick in the ABS to boot. Leaving to go look at it 9 hours away in 3 hours. Means I have to start saving for a wing all over again but I think having a BB and ST in the stable with the old 84 wing will be just fine for a few years!

·
Administrator
9,148 Posts
Got an 88 wing in the garage that's gonna need a complete go through then it's going to be sold. Father inlaws but he's too old to ride it now.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well here it is I bought it and the first ride was for 350 miles started an hour south of Memphis then across Arkansas on I-40 in 51 degree weather at night. I have to get used to it and I definitely will get bar setbacks. She goes! Did 85 almost the whole way easy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bgross

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some more pictures

·
Registered
393 Posts
Nice bike. I am sure you will enjoy it. Lots of options for risers.
Where are you living? Surely you didn't ride it back to Byron. Can't imagine the roads being OK around there.

Rod

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice bike. I am sure you will enjoy it. Lots of options for risers.
Where are you living? Surely you didn't ride it back to Byron. Can't imagine the roads being OK around there.

Rod
No. I rode it from northern Mississippi to near Fort Smith, Arkansas. Weatherman was calling for showers. Got it at my Brother in laws place under a cover. Will come back down April or May when it's warmer.

·
Administrator
9,148 Posts
Have to say if I were going to step off the BB this would be my choice. I haveV4's for most of my street riding. V45 and V65 Sabre's the ST is the same power plant upped to 1300 and twisted 90 degrees.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts