Honda CBR XX Forum banner

How to tell if you reg/rec is about to die

78K views 110 replies 44 participants last post by  fizzy 
I wish I would have known this about 2 years ago.:thumbd:
First sign I had was the bike was difficult to start after a break for a drink while on a ride, :eek:tacho and speedo were playing up, followed by the inevitible engine stopping and long walk. :mad:Those who are in Queensland (Australia) will understand, and it was bloody hot as well. February in Queensland in all the gear is not a pleasant walk.
Anyway, I ended up buying a yamaha unit at the recommendation of the bike shop.
She is all good now.:)

I had this problem. I did not recognise the symptoms until my battery went flat a very long way from anywhere. Your first warning sign will be a symptom like a flat battery when starting. You will be able to jump start or push start. Then you will notice your tacho will stop working. If that happens you are about to be in trouble. I replaced mine with a Yamaha unit which is far more robust than the Honda item. It pays to check all the wiring around the RR as it can get very hot, as mentioned in other responses to the thread. You would want to replace the RR at about 80,000Km as a precaution. That is about when most of them go (according to others who had the same issue) Happy riding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.