Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a quick tutorial of how I added switchback indicators to a UK bird reasonably low cost. Excuse the messy garage.

You will need:

2 x 1157 sockets https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-1157-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
2 x 1157 switchback bulbs https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-20W-A...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 - there are plenty of options out there so ensure you read the description and know what you are getting.
Clear lenses https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Tu...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 - obviously if you already have clear or smoked lenses these will not be required, you could keep amber lenses but obviously your DRL will glow amber instead of white.
Some connectors (I got mine from: Honda - Kawasaki Motorcycle Turn Signal Connectors to keep it stock)
Cable
Tools
Kettle, mug, tea/coffee

Step one

Remove windscreen, mirrors and nose cone.

Step two

Take a feed from the sidelight bulb supply and split it. I decided to add an extra loom that plugs in between the bike and sidelight so that it is easy to remove and put back to stock if required. Terminate the ends as required, I used 1 way connectors from the same product family as the stock indicator connectors.

Loom in to bike:

Step three

Remove the mirror glass by undoing the 2 8mm bolts circled:

Remove amber lens unit (if fitted) by undoing the 2 screws circled:

Fit new clear (or smoked) lens units.

Step four

The 1157 sockets I purchased came with woefully short cables attached, so I had to splice in some new cables terminated with Honda OEM indicator connectors, should look something like this:

TIP - ensure you make these long enough and check which cable is which before terminating!

You could use a single 3 way connector here instead of two separate, just ensure that it will fit through the hole in the fairing.

Step five

Test everything before assembly, if your bird is completely stock then you will have hyperflashing indicators, this can be resolved in one of two ways:
1) Splice in the resistors supplied with the bulbs listed
2) Fit an LED flasher relay (as shown)

Step six

Put everything back together and test again.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Nice one Greg, my kit has been on order for a few weeks now so should be here soon, nice write up which I'll relate to if I get stuck :thumb:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Cheers Greg, i just happen to have ten resprayed mirror pods and associated hardware sat on my bench to rebuild:) and was thinking of doing the same thing to sell on as complete units.
For some reason your photos are in photobucket and wont load? :idunno:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll sort the photos when I get home tonight - damn photobucket!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Nice one Greg, my kit has been on order for a few weeks now so should be here soon, nice write up which I'll relate to when I get stuck :thumb:
Fixed that for you Zip!

They are nice and bright, I wonder how dazzling they are at night to on-coming traffic, if at all.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Fixed that for you Zip!

They are nice and bright, I wonder how dazzling they are at night to on-coming traffic, if at all.
Yeah I am a little concerned that they may be too bright at night, however I rarely ever ride in the dark so it isn't a major problem.

Having said that, if I'm not happy with the bulbs they are easily changed. I want super bright amber, super bright white during the day and dimmer at night - not too much to ask is it?

I am officially done with photobucket, it used to be so convenient and easy to use, now it appears to be a load of cr*p

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you need them at night? May be easier just to have them switch off
The way I see it, any extra illumination at night is a good thing.

But if they are to bright and I find myself needing to ride at night, then i will wire in a switch.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes headlights do make you visible, more lights make you more visible!

It also makes it easier for other road users to judge your speed and distance with more than one light.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've just been out in the dark to have a look, I don't think they are anymore dazzling than many of the newer cars out there.

The pictures make it look more glarey than it actually is, and they are not as bright as full beam:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Rode back from a local country pub the other night with mine on and a friend in front of me. Not too dazzling in his mirrors. Until i switched the projectors on full beam :evilaugh:. Good job he was riding an Africa Twin or else he would never have gotten out of that field. :rotfl:

Auto part Vehicle Engine

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Right, mine turned up today......took feed that's in situ from tail light to voltmeter and plugged everything together, fitted bulbs in holders, fitted bulb bases. Turned side lights on and they work great, only when I turn on indicators the white led dims/flashes?! the orange led fails to light. With side lights off indicators flash bright white.

Any ideas Woody?? or anyone else inclined to be less sarcastic/more sympathetic? (there's always hope to be clung onto)! :D

Auto part Technology Electronic component Engine pic' of kit, self explanatory or so I thought.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts