Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
www.blackbirdownersclub.e u
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Birdies,

Here my workshop: changing the coolant-fluid.

Here we go...

-Unmount the fairings.

View attachment 16029

View attachment 16030

-Lift the tank as shown to get a better view at the level of the coolant reservoir.

View attachment 16022

-Here you see the cap of the radiator.

View attachment 16021

-Unmount the cap and unmount the tube (arrow)

View attachment 16023

-Empty the coolantreservoir.

View attachment 16025

-Unmount the bolt. (arrow)

View attachment 16024

-Empty.

View attachment 16026

-Unmount the bolt and empty

View attachment 16028

MOUNT THE TWO BOLTS AND THE TUBE!!!!!

-Fill the radiator up to the radiator filler neck.

View attachment 16027

-Fill up the coolant reservoir...

View attachment 16032

-To the UPPER level mark.(written on the side of the CR)

View attachment 16031

After the job:

Start the engine and let it idle for a while without the radiatorcap to release airbubbles and add fluid if necessary.

Then close the radiator and coolant reservoir and start the engine again and let it run until it reaches normal operating temperature.

Stop the engine and let it cool down completely!!!

Check the levels again. It is wise to check again after a First ride.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

·
Ascar
571 Posts
good write up
now im not highjacking the thread but where would you get braided hoses or braid covers for the coolant hose from

·
Registered
574 Posts
Good write up.
To be thorough, I would strongly suggest you fill the system with distilled water,or another charge of fresh coolant and repeat the drain cycle once or twice. This will allow remaining sediment and contaminants to mix and drain with the traces of coolant that do not always drain completely in the first coolant flush. There is also a thin copper sealing washer on the drain bolt which may need to be replaced on occasion, so do yourself a favor and pick up a few extra next time you buy some oil drain sealing washers.
I believe this is the part: Ron Ayers Motorsports - Motorcycle, ATV, Jet Ski and Generators Parts and Accessories

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
When is it necessary to replace coolant hoses even if you do not have a leak? Is there a regular maintenance of coolant hoses? I have 149,000 kms and still on the oem hoses since '02. Is there after market hoses, braided, that are superior to the oems? Cheers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice write-up and that's what I've done twice in the last two days.

I've changed the coolant on my 05 FI bird. Manual states 3.2 litres for radiator and engine plus 1.1 litres for the reservoir. I only managed to drain ~ 2 litres from the engine + radiator? Puzzled?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is great! I'm new to this forum because I've recently purchased a 87 Hurricane 1000 and I've noticed that it is running pretty hot. HOT to the touch on the sides (inner thighs get real hot) and the bike is HOT in traffic even after a short 30 minute ride. The temp-gauge needle goes up to 3/4 to 7/8, right under RED line when I go slow or stay at idle for very long. I do not know if the coolant had been changed or if it is very low or here is nothing in the reservoir etc..... Should this be the first thing to check when the bike gets hot so fast?? Do these engines normally run this hot??? I've had 2 Honda V-65's in the past and they always ran hot, especially at idle in traffic etc. Any suggestions???

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I had not seen this (I don't remember seeing it anyway) from Yo before jbike87 dug it from the grave.

As always from Yo a great "How to" so I have made it a sticky.

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
so, in order to check my coolant level, i have to pull the tank off?
No you an actually view the level of the coolant in the reserve tank from the side of the bike...

·
Registered
390 Posts
oKAY, I felt my bird was running hot, and since i ws on the road, i had the coolant changed. Cost me 123.00.

Now i changed the coolant last year, but i did put 16K miles on the bike in Texas.

I have to get comfortable taking the fairings off.

I need an owner manual.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
You can also use a 50/50 mix of distilled white vinegar and distilled water to flush the system. its doesn't react with the aluminum in the cases but will take out any scaling or oil residue.
The second benefit is that it is environment Friend and you don't have to worry about neutralizing it. So stuff a hose in the intake side of the system light the bike and run it till the water is clear. This way you don't have to worry about the flush effecting anything of mother natures.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I didn't know there is another drain bolt above the one on the bottom. I have been just draining the one on the bottom.

·
Don Gato
294 Posts
Thank you very much. I have had my BB since last friday and have to read a bit more to know things like this. I aprreciate what you´ve done

1 - 20 of 48 Posts