Honda CBR XX Forum banner

Blackbird Tire Preference 2016

• Total voters
81 - 100 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Your rims are not wide enough for a 200 tire to keep the proper tire profile. Whether the 200 fits inside the swing arm you'd have to measure for your self. Tire sites have dimensions of tire profiles to find what you're looking for. Google is your friend.

·
Registered
245 Posts
ok .. thanks for the info.... so instead of 190 should stick to the standard? In fact I want more contact on the street so as I keep reading I see that the 55 or 60 gives you more contact patch... is it advisable to go 180/60, or 190.60?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I was all set to order the Metzeler Z01 until I read a review on ADVrider that the great handling fell off after some miles. I did experience that with Dunlop Q3s' the only tire I ever pulled off before it was used up. So Mayfield, have you had enough miles to comment? Your insight would be appreciated.
TIA

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I think I'll be test driving the Pilot Power 3/2CTplus. I'm hoping it maintains the profile (cross section) shape of the Pilot Power 2CT which I like but will give up more mileage before "flat banding" from interstate drone mode riding. They advertise something like a 25% increase. We'll see. There's about a $30.00 bump in price over the Power 2CT's.

T.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
I was all set to order the Metzeler Z01 until I read a review on ADVrider that the great handling fell off after some miles. I did experience that with Dunlop Q3s' the only tire I ever pulled off before it was used up. So Mayfield, have you had enough miles to comment? Your insight would be appreciated.
TIA
30,000 Kays on Z6's, Then 70.000 Kays on Z8's, love them, Stick like shit to a blanket,Wet or Dry,

I weigh 75 Kgs, 40-40 solo, 42-42 Pillion, Gives me even wear across the tyre till it wears out,
10 to 15,000 Kays to a rear, Depending on how heavy handed I am, Fun Factor,

·
Registered
54 Posts
My 2 cents' worth.......(Yeah, I know - I haven't been here for a long time, but I still ride a Bird.) I've used most of the popular tires and some of the other ones. I long ago went with Shinko 009 Raven. For the money and general street riding, they're the best bang for the buck. Never had one slide out on me or skid under emergency braking of the front. My favorite riding is blasting thru corners and eliminating chicken strips. They're very good in the wet, too. What's not to like? Try 'em - you might like 'em.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Having Bought my bird about a month ago with a very tired (seriously, not intended - that'd be some pretty tiresome punning) set of michelins on that the previous owner had managed to wear almost to the limit with a good 20mm left unworn on the edges, I've just ordered a set of Avon Storm 2 Ultra's. A step into the dark for me, as I've been buying michelins (PR1's for a while, PR2's for the most recent three sets) for my VFR800 for a while now, and my only experience with Avon is on a scary pair that came with my first bike, a '91 VFR750 that were so old that in hindsight I ought to have replaced them before riding it...

Hoping for good things, as whilst I've had reasonably positive results with other manufacturers (a few sets of Pirelli Angel ST's performed pretty well), I'm always a little nervous on new boots that I don't know - no-one knows how much tires matter like motorcyclists do! Plus dual compounds, while sounding like an excellent idea in theory, can wear pretty oddly in my experience, leading to a wonky, stepped and uneven turn in. Maybe that's a result of the fact that I tend to wear out the shoulders faster than the centre - I spend my time looking for the twisty stuff, I can't stand straight, boring roads for mile after mile, it's just not what I ride for. MY experience on a few is that I go through the soft compound on the shoulders faster meaning that the bike rolls into a turn for 20-30 deg's, then does a sudden drop as the profile steps rather than progresses smoothly towards the tire edge...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks all for your input. I've been a Michelin guy for years Power 2CT are always a great cost to performance ratio. The PR4s I am running now have been without any issue and wear like iron. just looking for an alternate to try and the Z01s got great reviews, baring the odd comment I mentioned before that as they are worn they get weird. Dunlops Q3s did that and I swore not to go back. Perhaps it's best to stick with a known quantity : Michelin in my case

·
I are the grammar police
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
So Mayfield, have you had enough miles to comment? Your insight would be appreciated. TIA
Afraid not Steph, I've barely been on that bike since I put them on.

The front on the BM picked up a screw on the M1 one recent friday night (first flat since I can remember) and I needed an emergency replacement. The only place I could find on a rainy Saturday in Kettering only had a Conti Motion.

BM tyre repair.jpg

Apologies for the sacrilegious picture. :rolleyes:

Yeah, not my preferred choice, but works fine, although I've really been only on motorways since then.. So a Metz M3 on the back and a Conti Motion on the front. :hmm: Which feels fine, but I don't like the idea of the mixed set at all. The back's about to go off (M3s go off suddenly). So both will get replaced with Metz 01s any weekend now. Should be able to report back soon.

I'm biased towards Metzelers. Didn't like the PR4s. Never lost grip, but felt too vague. Preferred them in the wet to the dry.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks Mayfield. The picture of your K13S brings back memories of my K12S, never gelled with that bike, but I digress. Your mention of the Metzlers going off suddenly is going to keep me in the Michelin camp. I think I'll try the Power 3, I agree the PR4 are vague but they did not go off suddenly.

Or not...grr this is driving me around the bend

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
I dont know about this going off thing with the metzlers, I have the used Z8's and never had this cupping or uneven wear or losing grip ever on mine,
The road in my avatar is one of the roads I ride on constantly, and most others are the same, Tite Mountain twistys, In all conditions,

Attachments

·
I are the grammar police
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
I dont know about this going off thing with the metzlers, I have the used Z8's and never had this cupping or uneven wear or losing grip ever on mine
I don't know either and I haven't experienced it on any other Metz's. I've had two sets of M3s go off "suddenly", but by that I mean that before a 400 mile trip they were fine and after they weren't - they seem to wear quickly at the end. But these trips are pretty much "get to where I'm going as quickly as possible" miles, mostly motorways, so the centre gets worn down. That doesn't help at all.

I think the first sets went off around 4,000 miles and these ones are at about 2,500 now. The first were so thin they made a ringing noise when tapped. Not going there this time!

Only reason for having M3s was that they are OEM on these BMs, so that's what you get! They are really good tyres - very good in the wet too, but they're also at least a generation old and probably trade off mileage for grip deliberately. No reason now to choose them anyway. They're a ten year old design now! Blimey.

Once I get the 01s on the daily bike, I'll see how they go. I had a look for comments on other forums and the limited info available was the usual stuff. Couldn't draw any real conclusion at all. Somebody thinks they are too hard, somebody thinks the opposite. Yadda, yadda. Kinda like the PR4s, some people swear by them, some people are "meh".

If anything, I'm concerned they'll have the same vagueness that I felt with the PR4s, because of the relatively large void ratio. That would be a pain in the arse as that's the bit that bugged me about the Michelins.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi folks,

I guess Continental is not very popular in US but if you ever have the chance to try a "Conti SportAttack3" (CSA3) - take it. Especially the sensivity of the front will impress you. This tire is sold since spring 2016, so it should be on this list. BT016 and BT023 are still on this list? I guess for the guys who have this on their bikes since ages:hmm:

With the CSA3 I feel comfortably in any situation since they increased the abilities under wet conditions compared to CSA2. Only on racetrack it wouldn't be my first choice.

Greez from germany

BAXRic

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Just over 5000 miles on my Metzler 01s so far.Back has nearly gone front ok so far. I'll post more detailed results and pics when I get back to the UK.
For a comparison my previous Angel GTs on my VFR lasted about 6500 on the rear. My mate in Ireland has just fitted 01s to his 650 V Strom, I've asked him to also take measurements at different stages. 65bhp against 140, should be interesting the difference.

·
I are the grammar police
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
This tire is sold since spring 2016, so it should be on this list. BT016 and BT023 are still on this list? I guess for the guys who have this on their bikes since ages:hmm:
Well, they got votes, so yes, guys must have them on. They're still widely available. Could have bought them yesterday.

As for the SportAttack3, there'll be a new poll starting in the new year.

I can hardly bear the anticipation. :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
I chickened out and stuck with Michelins......I received the Pilot Power 3s I ordered earlier this week
I hope to mount them tonight or tomorrow evening and will break them in on Sunday - let's see what the mileage / feel ratio will be to the PR4s.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Two months on, ALREADY ?!?!!
i am happy with my choice of tires, the vagueness that was aluded to with the PR4 disappeared, though frankly I was not aware that it had been there. The tire makes the BB feel better to me. That is all that matters to me, oh yeah and the holy grail of lasting a long time, that would validate my choice even more so.

81 - 100 of 263 Posts