Honda CBR XX Forum banner

Blackbird Tire Preference 2016

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
My 2015 PR4s came off the bike in May with 12,000 miles on them. They could have easily done another few thousand, but we were heading out on a 6,600 mile trip so they were replaced with a new set of PR4s.

I once killed a precious day and a half of vacation time hunting down new tires to make it home. Now I leave home with fresh tires if there's any doubt of my old ones lasting the whole trip.

The 2015 take-offs are tucked away as back-ups "just in case."

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
The last couple of years when we do this "tire preference" chart it seems that Michelin Pilot Road runs away with it!
Has it always been so or was there a time when another tire won out just as convincingly?

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,860 Posts
The last couple of years when we do this "tire preference" chart it seems that Michelin Pilot Road runs away with it!
Has it always been so or was there a time when another tire won out just as convincingly?
Well rollingon sure loves his T30

·
Registered
181 Posts
I ran a set of Angel GTs last season and just replaced the rear with a Road 4. It is a bit tricky comparing your old tires to new as it's comparing a worn out skin to a fresh one. But so far I like the profile of the Road 4 better than the Angel. Now, I am trying to compare how the bike handles last summer to now..... It seems to turn in with less effort. I haven't had the Michelin right t the edge of the carcass yet so can't comment on that, the Angel never did anything that caused concern when I was cornering that hard, even with liberal throttle application exiting corner.

I am going to guess both these tires will easily out perform me and both are excellent choices but I think the Road 4 will suit my style a bit better.

I got 6200 miles out of the Perilli when I got a flat and it prematurely ended its life. I was more than happy with how it wore.

Also.... I am blown away at how far bike tire tech has come in the past 10-15 years, The choices in tires we have now are nothing short of outstanding compared to the skins our bikes originally came on. A guy really can not go wrong with any choice...... except a Shinko, those are like wearing a used condom.

·
Registered
472 Posts
T30 Evo's fitted couple of days ago.

The old tyres were Roadsmart 2's (I think) and I don't know how many miles the previous owner rode with those, but I made around 12000 kms, the front was pretty squared.

As soon as the T30's were fitted...which were also my first pair of new tyres on the bike, it felt as if the bike's 30% lighter, much easier to turn and lean. I think the new tyres and the way they make the bike feel give me a bit more confidence when riding, but I developed this habit which might need a revision or adjustment - I downshift and brake at the same time before entering tighter corners. So the wheel skip occurred couple of times and these tyres make a funny squeal, Dunlops never made a sound, don't know if that's due to compound difference between brands or just the Dunlops being old.

There's also this slight wobble...although I think that's not a correct word to use because people might presume wrong...don't know how to explain properly...basically what happens in fast long turns the bike "moves" like a subtle loopy shake, don't know how to describe it with words...it occurs especially if I enter the curve with light trail braking (which I do constantly).

I definitely feel good on the bike with those tyres, when they get eaten up I'm not sure if I'll go experimenting with another brand, who knows.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts

The old tyres were Roadsmart 2's (I think) and I don't know how many miles the previous owner rode with those, but I made around 12000 kms, the front was pretty squared.

As soon as the T30's were fitted...which were also my first pair of new tyres on the bike, it felt as if the bike's 30% lighter, much easier to turn and lean. I think the new tyres and the way they make the bike feel give me a bit more confidence when riding, but I developed this habit which might need a revision or adjustment - I downshift and brake at the same time before entering tighter corners. So the wheel skip occurred couple of times and these tyres make a funny squeal, Dunlops never made a sound, don't know if that's due to compound difference between brands or just the Dunlops being old.

There's also this slight wobble...although I think that's not a correct word to use because people might presume wrong...don't know how to explain properly...basically what happens in fast long turns the bike "moves" like a subtle loopy shake, don't know how to describe it with words...it occurs especially if I enter the curve with light trail braking (which I do constantly).

I definitely feel good on the bike with those tyres, when they get eaten up I'm not sure if I'll go experimenting with another brand, who knows.
Your suspension needs looking in to. Possible steering head bearings, rear shock settings, front springs may need to be changed. Then you go on to swing arm tightness and alignment. I'd start with the rear shock, it may be shot and or set on a soft setting.

The only wobble I ever got was at 135mph in a big sweeper this past June. I needed to reset my suspension from comfy touring to more sport/race setting. I can tell you these don't hydro plane at 70mph when you hit 1" of water in heavy rain. They just plow thru. Scared my butt, but saved me.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
You're riding harder now because of the new tires and the confidence so....add the 6mm spacer on top of your shock absorber....that might take care of the issue you describe.

Reactions: -Tom-

·
Registered
472 Posts
Your suspension needs looking in to. Possible steering head bearings, rear shock settings, front springs may need to be changed. Then you go on to swing arm tightness and alignment. I'd start with the rear shock, it may be shot and or set on a soft setting.
I will look into these things. On a local racetrack that we have here there's a garage that sorts track days bikes and also deals Ohlins gear, so one day I scooted up there like I usually do when I have nothing better to do, and I asked the guy there if he could do me a favor and just check the bike's suspension, I told him I have no experience with those things whatsoever, first bike etc.

He did some wobbles, pushed the steering down, pushed the seat down, and he told me that he doesn't think suspension needs servicing at all, that it all seems to be in good shape. It could be my weight, I got completely lazy this year and my fat ass is now @ 250 lbs which is pathetic.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,860 Posts
I will look into these things. On a local racetrack that we have here there's a garage that sorts track days bikes and also deals Ohlins gear, so one day I scooted up there like I usually do when I have nothing better to do, and I asked the guy there if he could do me a favor and just check the bike's suspension, I told him I have no experience with those things whatsoever, first bike etc.

He did some wobbles, pushed the steering down, pushed the seat down, and he told me that he doesn't think suspension needs servicing at all, that it all seems to be in good shape. It could be my weight, I got completely lazy this year and my fat ass is now @ 250 lbs which is pathetic.
Not bragging but I don't think your weight has anything to do with it. I am 270 and no wobbles here.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Not bragging but I don't think your weight has anything to do with it. I am 270 and no wobbles here.
Yea that bike can't wobble with that fat ass on there. Just to much weight..............:rasp:

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,860 Posts
Thanks rolling

·
Registered
472 Posts
One thing I noticed from Bridgestones is the squeak. I had one hard brake yesterday, I didn't expect the traffic light to get red that fast so I had to get on the brake hard, and I'm almost sure I heard a tiny "eeek" from the front. Also, couple of times, at low speeds, nothing "spirited" or anything similar, going from 3rd to 2nd gear, I heard that same "eeek" from the rear tyre. Dunlops never produced those sounds in same situations on same roads.

Could be a tyre material difference?

·
Registered
723 Posts
With only two days the tyres still have some gum, be carefull.

My BT016Pro now have 6.000kms, still plenty of tyre left. Cool.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
I think its too wide to fit into the bike,

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
here are threads on the tyre width on here, You will have to search them out, 190 I think is max,

61 - 80 of 263 Posts