Honda CBR XX Forum banner

Blackbird Tire Preference 2016

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 263 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
I don't know about favorite but my least favorite tire is the shinko 016 verge. less than 3000 miles till threads were showing front and rear. they had tread when I left, 80 miles later, threads showing. The shinko 011s on my FI Bird however have over 5k miles, still more tread (per my tread depth gauge) than the 016s came with new and are wearing much more evenly. Granted I probably ride differently than most of you. The 016 front still has 2.6mm tread in the center and threads showing out near the edge (where I spend most of my time).

I have the same problem with the Pilot Road series that the shinko 016 has for me. I can only assume the softer sidewalls of the dual compound tires just aren't up to the weight of the Bird at stupid corner speeds.

I can't say enough good things about the shinko 011s though other than . They seem to refuse to wear or over heat (I can over heat the 016s in about 3-4 miles, PRs in about 4-6 miles, to the point of going down because they are so greasy).

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
30,000 Kays on Metzler Z6's, Then the changed the tyres, so then I did 45,000 Kays on Metzler Z8's, In all weathers including torrential rain for hours on end,
Slimy mountain roads with green moss on them, Thats more the rider than the tyres, Clacker Clenching Moments, Black Ice, very slow and more the rider and Pure Luck,
-8 C in a snow Blizzard and riding on snow for 20 Kays, But 100 metre long snow fall on the roads now and then,
Wet roads, flooded roads,

Bugga that, Im not writing that all again, Refresh the page and it all dissapeared, Some auto save,

·
Registered
114 Posts
the michi pilot power 3 gives the best combo of performance and longevity of any tire out there. nobody here is going to outride that tire on the street and you're going to get great mileage out of a higher performance tire. if all you do is put around your local roads then get a cheaper tire. but of you ride, really ride, and want a tire that lasts more than 3500km's of aggressive riding then he pilot power is the tire you want.

·
just do it
5,669 Posts
the michi pilot power 3 gives the best combo of performance and longevity of any tire out there. nobody here is going to outride that tire on the street and you're going to get great mileage out of a higher performance tire. if all you do is put around your local roads then get a cheaper tire. but of you ride, really ride, and want a tire that lasts more than 3500km's of aggressive riding then he pilot power is the tire you want.
I agree, I had great milage on mine and wore them right down past the wear bars.
Awesome grip never squared off and kept it's shape.

Reactions: DAngel

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's front and rear.

My riding time is rather limited each season so I want something sticky-ish for the kilometers I do manage to put on. I tour on these tires which amounts to about 3500 to 4000km' in a week/ten days in June each year.

I have never felt any ill effects from there use, although some have mentioned "soft side wall type issue/feel" in other tire threads.

Wet traction is very good, dry is even better (of course).

The tire profile also speeds up the steering to a nice degree (I do not run a 6mm shim..don't want to). I found the Pilot Road profile (used them some years ago so dated info here) to be less sharp as compared to the Powers "Triangular" cross section profile. The Roads gave a much slower rate of turn in my mind.

Flat lining in Southwestern Ontario (there are few curves locally to contend with) makes for flat spotting down the center at around 8000km's..so I change them out each year or every other year. Those first few thousand K's in the mountains down South are heaven on these tires..at least for me.

T.

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
I agree, I had great milage on mine and wore them right down past the wear bars.
Awesome grip never squared off and kept it's shape.
My MMP3's are worn way down on the left. You think I can turn the tire around to get my moneys worth :huh: I only make left turns, so the right side is in good shape.......

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Second on any of the powers I may go back to a regular PR4 and see if it wears longer then the GT. I'll have to check my records and see what I got off the GT and non GT.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Rode up through The Snowdonia National Park at 6am yesterday morning, did ten laps of the Tandragee 100 course today and I aint fell off yet on my brand new Roadtec 01s. Unbelievably tight, narrow and technical course, 5 miles long. Just like a rollercoaster.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Been a Michelin fan for years - especially 2CT's and PR3's.
Tried PR4's and wasn't too impressed as they didn't have the same feel, offered slower-turning and squared-off quickly compared to the others.
Now trialling Pirelli Angel GT's (offered at a discount, so why not?) :eyebrows:

·
ze German
12 Posts
ok so the weather has been a bit spotty these last few days, which gave me the 'opportunity' to ride my new roadsmart 2s in the wet. they are absolutely phenomenal and confidence-inspiring in the wet. in fact, they have better grip in the wet than the age-old tires i had mounted before (which gave me lots of grief) had on dry pavement. excellent rubbers all around :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
I was all set to put a set of Metzler Roadtec 01's on the bird. However, I find out that they will not be available here in Canada. until the fall. So....may have to snag a set out of the US somehow.

Rod

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm looking to replace my rear tyre at the moment with a PR4. What reasons if any would there be to get the GT over the standard one? I do a lot of long distance riding, sometimes loaded up with luggage, but rarely with a pillion. A GT is only a few quid more. At the moment I have a standard PR3 on the front.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My google-fu doesn't seem to be doing so well this time.

All I can find is it's for "large tourers likely to take luggage or pillions". Not sure if the blackbird comes under the same catergory as the FJR1300 or ST1300. Maybe not quite.

If the only difference is it lasts longer then why have the standard? Is there a cost of it lasting longer? I saw one youtube comment saying it was less grippy than the standard, but anecdotal Youtube comments aren't a great source.

Either way I'm leaning towards the standard, if only because it's more popular in this poll.

21 - 40 of 263 Posts