Honda CBR XX Forum banner

Blackbird Tire Preference 2016

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
Have a question in the sport tech's. Fellow rider had a set in the rain and said they were like riding on sheet ice and it wasn't coming down that hard. Anyone else had this same result? It pushed him down to 10 mph in the turns and the bike felt like it was loose all the time. It's not his riding skill either that caused it. I have seen him chase down a skilled track rider on a cbr1000rr.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Do Y'all no how many miles one has to put on a single brand tire in all conditions and have an opinion?
Ha!.... and as the years go buy....... I average 3 to 4 backs per year. Sep I always go back to Avon as its my choice.
The other brands are over $ $ on what I want to spend. Yep I tried Contie's
Avon Calling :)

It's all about the rider and what he or she feels between there legs while gripping onto the tank navigating there machine.
Had 4 Avon Extreams and now trying the Storm.
Front tire Avon Extream 10K
Rear Avon, and no mater what other brand always 2K.
Yep STex is a throttle junkie...no cameras in theses parts here were I live :)
STex Out.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Sticking with the tried and true Pilot Road 4s. There is a new set of the regulars (mine) and the GTs (hubby's) sitting in my living room right now.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think I am going to give the Roadtec 01's a try. No reason other than I use PR4's on the ST and it is a chance to evaluate something else. Not truly apples to apples I know but what the hey. How bad can they be?! All I have to do now is wait until they are off back order up here in the frozen north.

Rod

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sweet with new and updated poll! :thumb:

Haven't tried all the tyres in the poll (obviously :rolleyes:), but very satisfied with the PR4's I had mounted last year! Still got som clicks left in them! :cool:

·
I are the grammar police
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have a question in the sport tech's. Fellow rider had a set in the rain and said they were like riding on sheet ice and it wasn't coming down that hard. Anyone else had this same result? It pushed him down to 10 mph in the turns and the bike felt like it was loose all the time. It's not his riding skill either that caused it. I have seen him chase down a skilled track rider on a cbr100rr.
Hey Bees, assuming you're referring to the M7RRs, that's a pretty unexpected experience for that tire. One of the blokes I ride with about a thousand miles a year has had them on his VFR800 for over a year now and he likes them a lot. As it's the UK here :D, inevitably a few hundred of those miles were in the wet. The old poll says there are a couple of members on them, maybe someone who actually has them will pipe up.

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
Hey Bees, assuming you're referring to the M7RRs, that's a pretty unexpected experience for that tire. One of the blokes I ride with about a thousand miles a year has had them on his VFR800 for over a year now and he likes them a lot. As it's the UK here :D, inevitably a few hundred of those miles were in the wet. The old poll says there are a couple of members on them, maybe someone who actually has them will pipe up.
Curious yes I am wondering if it was a pressure issue. I am a firm believer in running 42 at both ends. I actually suspect low pressure may have been the culprit. Causing the tire to possibly flat foot enough to trap the water under it. That's why I am asking others to find out the results of thier riding with them and the pressure and bike it's on

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Don't see the Bridgestone T30 EVO on the list. Just bought a set and will review later this summer. There's also the T30 and T30 GT for bigger bikes. Wouldn't consider the T16 or 23 anymore because of the 30's. I know I should make my own poll.............................

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm running the M7RR tires for the year. After this summer I'll need a replacement set. On the ride with beestoys last fall in the wet and temps just above freezing (I'm pretty sure 38psi front and at that time) the font was slippery and just didn't feel stable cornering. Lost some rear traction also along the way. I'm sure it spooked me for the rest of the ride on that mountain especially when the guy behind me lowsided on a hair pin turn that i even slid a bit.
Posted some pic of the tire and my pr4 back up tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I think I am going to give the Roadtec 01's a try. No reason other than I use PR4's on the ST and it is a chance to evaluate something else. Not truly apples to apples I know but what the hey. How bad can they be?! All I have to do now is wait until they are off back order up here in the frozen north.

Rod
Just mounted a set this afternoon. Will be riding her next week. Seems a much sharper profile front compared to my Angel GTs on the VFR.

·
I are the grammar police
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Added more choices per comments and a bit more of a search through brands' websites for their recommendations for the Bird.

The list could potentially go on for pages, if anyone is actually using one of the more "offbeat" types, please let me know, so they can add their vote. Note that the poll allows multiple choices, but once you enter choice(s), you can't vote again. Can't get around that, it's the way the site works.

Changed the title so that non-members out in Googleland can search for - and find - what we really use on our bikes.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I prefer dual compound, so that I get good mileage in a straight line but I still get to chase Epoc through the twisties, my preferences are either PR4 or Angel GT and after that it's whichever one is cheaper on the day.

last time on Birdie the GTs won.

·
just do it
5,669 Posts
Has anybody tried the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
** Who owns which tyre brands?

The tyre industry is a confusing business. Historically there were the big 3 brands that people nearly always purchased but recently there have been a number of mergers and new budget brands sprouting.
We thought it would be useful to post a consolidated list of who owns who in the tyre industry (for our reference as much as yours!) so here is our handy list of the market.
Michelin - France

Worlds number one tyre manufacturer. Own the brands Michelin, BF Goodrich, Kleber, Uniroyal* and Riken.
Bridgestone - Japan

One of the original big three. Own the brands Bridgestone, Firestone, Daytona and Europa.
Goodyear Dunlop - USA

Goodyear recently merged with Dunlop to form one of the largest tyre manufacturers in the world. Own the brands Dunlop, Goodyear, Fulda, Falken and Kelly.
Yokohama - Japanese

A brand in themselves, Yokohama claim to be the 7th biggest manufacturer in the world.
Pirelli - Italy

Pirelli claim to be the 5th largest tyre manufacturer in the world. Most of it's retail is through the Pirelli brand but have more recently released the Ceat and Courier brands.
Cooper Tyre - USA

Cooper recently bought the Avon brand. They now own Cooper, Avon and Mastercraft.
Continental - Germany

Owns Continental, Uniroyal*, General Tyre, Gislaved and Semperit.
Toyo - Japan

Toyo are one of the newer budget performance tyres to market. Formed many partnerships around the globe.
Kumho - Korea

Kumho is also a budget road tyre with a strong sporting range.
Apollo - India

Apollo now own Vredestein.
* To add to confusion Uniroyal is Continental owned in Europe and Michelin owned in USA
This article will be continuously updated as we find more information
end of article!!

**Metzler is owned by Pirelli since 1979
** Shinko is hard to figure out....they started off with some Yokahama tire molds but seem like they may be a company to themselves

1 - 20 of 263 Posts