Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,316 Posts
Nothing wrong with it as long as you change it at the specified time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
In Aus one of the better options (and most cost effective) is PENRITE MC-4 SEMI SYNTHETIC 10W-50. Often on special at Supercheap or Autobarn. Been using it for 40K kms and it works really well with the bird ... smooth great changes and quiet engine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In Aus one of the better options (and most cosy effective) is PENRITE MC-4 SEMI SYNTHETIC 10W-50. Often on special at Supercheap or Autobarn. Been using it for 40K kms and it works really well with the bird ... smooth great changes and quiet engine.

I've been using Penrite oils in many of my cars in the last 30yrs ..

Because I bought a BB just recently, and have some GN4 10/30W sitting in my garage (from my previous Honda's) I wanted to make sure that the BlackBird is fine with it ..!?

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,316 Posts
10/30? I think it calls for 10/40. In a cooler climate 10/30 might be ok but go with 10/40. The owners manual will tell you the oil weights that can be used in it.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,316 Posts
There you go!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thanks, the one I have is mineral 10/30W, I hope this is ok for my Bird ..?!

G'day Kavallero,

I'm up in Brisbane...... the lockdown town :rolleyes:...... oh well, tis the season for covid so what the heck......:ROFLMAO:.

Geez, we stopped using mineral oil in bikes a loooong time ago.

I've put all 129k kms on my 05BB using Motul 5100 10w50 with 6k km changes. It's now in retirement (so am I o_O).

Your climate is a bit cooler than mine so 10w40 on a low km engine is probably the go for you. It is spec in my manual - but also in my manual is a temperature chart listing a range of oil viscosities for different climates......10w50 wasn't available back when the books were printed, but when it became available I suspect dealerships chose it over 10w40 for our warmer climate and the hot running high performance BB engine.

The manual also recommended using 42psi F & R tyre pressures for the BB....... ever ridden in the wet, in winter, with 42 psi in both tyres?...... I did it once and learned real fast...... :mad: Manuals..... they can be good, and they can be less good, and they can be out of date with advances in technology..........;).

Your manual is a mystery at 10w30 for Aus spec BB's. My 05 manual, which is now 16yrs behind the times, lists 10w40....... However, the Honda dealership's service manager told me in 2005 that they used Motul 5100 10w50 from the 1st service at 1000kms, and said ' don't worry you'll have no oil consumption problems with that oil'. They were authorised to use it in their official Honda workshop, and 129,000kms and 16 years later he has been proven absolutely correct.

If that Honda oil is still available now, surely it is a modern synthetic blended type meeting Jasco MA2 and API SN standards :unsure:...? If it's a "blast from the past" , use it, but change it before it degrades to 0w10, and swap to a more modern oil as the BB engine has to handle a lot of heat (which it is designed to do)....... (y). Honda makes a very good 1:1 coolant that has a service life of 3 yrs. They use it in all current models and I'd recommend changing your coolant if it hasn't been done in the last 2-3yrs.

A semi synthetic/mid strength full synthetic oil (ie; not racing strength, just a mid strength road sports riding type like Motul 5100 or Motorex Top Speed or Shell AX7 etc) is better at handling high temps and crushing gearbox workouts, and will last longer than old school mineral oils.

My BB still runs like clockwork, does not consume any oil, and the only valve adjustment was at 114k kms when my mechanic and I were installing a new cam chain & tensioner. We decided to change 1 exhaust shim because it was nearly at it's change point (all other shims were at new spec - It turns out the cylinder next to the cam chain can wear it's exhaust valves a little faster than the rest after 100,000kms ). But that's how robust a BB engine is!

I think 10w30 might suit riding in snow climates...... and if it's only mineral oil and not synthetically fortified, it might be a bit weak for a high performance engine (y)

Reactions: kavallero and XXGUY

·
Registered
448 Posts
:LOL:..... just googled GN4 for info and found Honda recommends their HP4 10w30 for big bikes like the CR1100XX and 1000 etc. I couldn't find where the API/Jasco specs were but I suspect the GN4 is a lower rating for less powerful engines. Very odd that Honda spec 10w30 for these oil change kits...... maybe they are for the US market where they have very cold conditions (a snow season) and need a fast flowing thin viscosity oil to help the motor perform :unsure:.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:LOL:..... just googled GN4 for info and found Honda recommends their HP4 10w30 for big bikes like the CR1100XX and 1000 etc. I couldn't find where the API/Jasco specs were but I suspect the GN4 is a lower rating for less powerful engines. Very odd that Honda spec 10w30 for these oil change kits...... maybe they are for the US market where they have very cold conditions (a snow season) and need a fast flowing thin viscosity oil to help the motor perform :unsure:.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the attached manual which I believe I downloaded from this site, that states 10/30.

The oil that I have sitting in my garage is a mineral GN4, about 8-9 years old ..

Even if I run it for 3-4000Kms I believe it should be fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well, strike me pink o_O....... I was all set to slap you around the gills with pics of my 2005 owners manual oil viscosity charts :)LOL:) , but at the last minute I opened up your 3.1Mb full copy of your 06 owners manual, and bugger me, it has been updated since 2005.......... o_Oo_O.

So 10w30 with additives is the go for your climate.

I can see where the confusion comes from. My MY05 viscosity chart has 10w30 suitable for -10c to 30c temps, and 10w40 suited to -5c to 40c temps, whereas your 06 OM has either viscosity suitable for -10c to approx 45c.

Rapid improvement in oil formulations must be the reason the factory changed the chart in the manual. My 05 probably was based on data from years earlier, so Honda must have updated their chart for the MY06.

So you are right, though most of us were only concerned with temperature range viscosity limits, especially the SoCal guys who live in very hot and dry climates.

(y)

Here's my 05 OM oilchart just for a laugh....... but keep in mind we get hot up here in Pineapple land..... approx temp range -5c to 45c, yet we ride South to Victoria/Tasmania or North to Cairns or West to Alice Springs so we need an oil viscosity that covers -10 to 50c. You Southerner's wouldn't need the high temp viscosities as much, because you have plenty of great bike roads closer to home ;).

HP4 was the recommended oil on the Google search, but your GN4 should be ok for a limited period like you mentioned. The difference is HP4 has synthetic additives and GN4 is mineral.

Thanks for the info....... and as added insurance, the " 99-02 Workshop manual" available for download in the resources section of the forum lists GN4 as the oil to use (ignoring the 10w40 spec from 1999 data)....... see last pic ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, strike me pink o_O....... I was all set to slap you around the gills with pics of my 2005 owners manual oil viscosity charts :)LOL:) , but at the last minute I opened up your 3.1Mb full copy of your 06 owners manual, and bugger me, it has been updated since 2005.......... o_Oo_O.

So 10w30 with additives is the go for your climate.

I can see where the confusion comes from. My MY05 viscosity chart has 10w30 suitable for -10c to 30c temps, and 10w40 suited to -5c to 40c temps, whereas your 06 OM has either viscosity suitable for -10c to approx 45c.

Rapid improvement in oil formulations must be the reason the factory changed the chart in the manual. My 05 probably was based on data from years earlier, so Honda must have updated their chart for the MY06.

So you are right, though most of us were only concerned with temperature range viscosity limits, especially the SoCal guys who live in very hot and dry climates.

(y)

Here's my 05 OM oilchart just for a laugh....... but keep in mind we get hot up here in Pineapple land..... approx temp range -5c to 45c, yet we ride South to Victoria/Tasmania or North to Cairns or West to Alice Springs so we need an oil viscosity that covers -10 to 50c. You Southerner's wouldn't need the high temp viscosities as much, because you have plenty of great bike roads closer to home ;).

HP4 was the recommended oil on the Google search, but your GN4 should be ok for a limited period like you mentioned. The difference is HP4 has synthetic additives and GN4 is mineral.

Thanks for the info....... and as added insurance, the " 99-02 Workshop manual" available for download in the resources section of the forum lists GN4 as the oil to use (ignoring the 10w40 spec from 1999 data)....... see last pic ;)

As I thought, there is no much difference between the 10/30 and 10/40, as both 2005 and 2006 are the same engines/bikes.

Sometimes I think we are all to picky ... things are simpler than what we believe. :oops:;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've only used GN4 10W-40 oil since I purchased my 02 BB in 2012. I changed the oil and oem filter every 8,000-10,000 miles. I have 166,503 miles and no issues. It works great as I have ridden in 114 degrees in Arizona and 18 degrees in Pennsylvania.

·
Administrator
12,898 Posts
Ohhh an oil thread. :LOL:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts