Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the go ahead from my financial controller to splash out on a HID projector light kit from Retrofit Labs, ordered the kit immediately before she could change her mind...
I have found the bird lights to be a little underwhelming compared to my 1000F twin headlights and to be honest I much prefer to see where the hell I'm going at night!
Just inquiring if anyone else has fitted one of these kits before to an existing headlamp and if there are any pitfalls to watch out for?

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
Ade
How does the projector fair compared to a good HID or LED
I like the large spread pattern of both options I run. An both throw plenty of light down range as well. My current setup lights up an 1/8 of mile down road easily.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of the reasons I have gone with projectors is the very distinct cut off pattern, these lights will be bright so dont want to be blinding other people on the road.
Here in Western Australia we dont have annual inspections, you only get inspected if the police issue you with a yellow sticker so keeping it sensible is the way to go.
I would be thinking UK MOT testers should be concerned whether the beam adjustment complies, that being said there is alway individual interpretation of the rules. Putting HID or LED bulbs into a reflector will generally scatter light more and dazzle other people on the road as the beam focus will vary between bulbs, this is what will attract unwanted attention from law enforcement and would definately cause an MOT fail.
Still waiting for my kit to arrive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got around to fitting the the projectors, the kit is pretty good with only a few minor problems,. The metal plate that the projectors are mounted to was only painted one side and had surfae rust on the unpainted side, the supplier indicated this was not normal and had been missed..
The plugs supplied for connecting to the original dipped and main headlight sockets did not fit at all and if they had would have been a poor connection and definitly not weatherproof, I had to buy 2 weatherproof auto plugs and sockets and cut off the original ones and the supplied ones and solder on the new ones, not a big deal but annoying.
I also bought a delay timer as here the lights are always on with the ignition, I spent hours trying to bet this to work, eventualy got it going and it now works well.
The other difficult bit was finding a place for the ballasts in behind the light housing, I eventually settled on fixing to the supprt bracket for the clocks with cable ties.
I have only set up the beam adjustment outside the house and not had chance to get it out on the road at night yet but I am amazed at how much better the lights seem to be, well worth the investment.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Bees, missed your comment on the light spread. I'll be out on her tmw night. I'll get some pics up and pics against the garage door. If you are thinking of doing it don't bother with the Retrofit Lab kit. Damn expensive. When I bought mine 3 yrs ago it was all that was available. You can now source all the parts from you know where for about $50. It's identical. I can post up the links if needed. Or get hold of Geoff Hunt on Facey, he does conversions for people who are too lazy to do it themselves.

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
Thanks.
I know I really enjoy the spread of the factory lens. The LEDs I'm running are about 5 degrees narrower on the width but throw light down range as the HID's I was running before.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi All,
Just an update on these lights, if anyone is considering going down this path then do it, the difference is outstanding especially in the corners where the original headlight was wide and narrow these have a much better spread of light and much much brighter and whiter, I went with 5000k bulbs.
Also right hand lane hoggers seem a bit more apt to move over when coming up behind them on the freeway, especially with a flash, before they didn't even seem to notice I was there, they certainly do now.

·
Registered
293 Posts
G'day Toomanytoys,

New lights look nice (y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts