Honda CBR XX Forum banner

hid help

5K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  lightguypro 
#1 ·
Been a while since i have been on here. So i installed a hid kit for low beam, and works great other then when u give it throttle the light dims. So deciede to add a larger fuse thinking this was the issue,and still same thing. Could it be i might need a new battery soon since it is drawing alot more power,

#3 ·
ummm unless you installed the 55w HID its actually drawing less power since most HID's are 35w. If you did install the 55w then its still should be only drawing the same amount of power..

Did you notice any dimming on the std headlight?

#5 ·
Have you checked the system voltage while running? You may find that you have a charging issue. The hid ballast has a minimum required input voltage to maintain the arc and if you're system is weak it could be dropping close to that minimum.

#7 ·
this is a bit of a weird one because HIDS work a little like flouresent tubes - they ignite with a large voltage then once the arc is lit it stays at the same brightness, if the HID bulb loses voltage/current it will tend to flicker trying reignite, I am slightly puzzled at your problem

#11 ·
so here is the latest, flick the high beam on. light cuts out for a milli second.... flickering happens more. turn on the blinker and the hid dims when blinker is on. every light dims. but heres the kicker, when you have the break light on ( not running light, brake engage), flickering stops and hid light acts normal. only lights that dim are on the instrument panel.

so im going to get a battery this weekend see if that helps. but just wanted to post this update.

#12 ·
you have a bad earth somewhere, not hard to check as one side of the headlights goes straight to earth, run a wire direct from the battery earth and connect it to the headlight earth while the fault is happening - you should see a change immediately oh and btw when I lost one stator winding the fault would make the HIDS hard to start they would flicker at low revs, if you have 12v on the battery and the bike starts on the button - it is not the battery.

#16 ·
I believe the earth from the front end goes to the earth point just to the left of the battery below where the left back end of the tank is, check that these are all clean, undo and redo, you could in theory run 2x short wires to the headlight earths then join them and run a heavy wire from that to the earth point I described above under the back left lip of the fuel tank, everything in the front end would be earthed through this wire, personally I'd rather find out why there is no proper earth to the front end, I'm sure someone here can help a little more in identifying this earth and where it goes to and from - I have never looked at it

PS it could be a poorly performed loomfix where some of the joined wires have come lose

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.