Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody.
Recently acquired an 04 bird in the best colour (blue).
Had a couple of problems, (RR, battery and alternator) but nothing out of the ordinary after a few searches on here.
Been riding it on and off for a couple of years now and can honestly say i love it. Sooooooo smooth and bags of power. With the exception of fuel consumption, its the best bike i've had. (bandit 6, thunderace, bandit 12, triumph sprint 1050)

Whilst i'm here, is there a specific service manual for the 04 ? I've had a look through the threads, and the only working links i can find are for up to the 02.

Cheers peeps

Ryan

·
Registered
590 Posts
Pretty sure the digital dash FI models (2001 on) are more or less the same. If you have issues not covered in 02 service manual, there no doubt will be someone around here who can help.
If you fill up the tank to the max while on the side stand, how far do you get until low fuel light? Should be around 180 miles with normal running.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi fizzy, i never fill it up on the side stand, so don't really know. From brimmed on the centre stand though, i get around 160miles until the last bar on the fuel guage starts to flash. That's a mixture of london town riding and "A" road.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Isn't there a "low fuel light" on the digital dash models?
Edit, just checked wiring diagrams, looks like that is a NO.
ryan, I averaged 39MPG (US) = 49mpg (UK).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely no "low fuel light".
By my calculations, (If the fuel tank is 5.3 uk gallons = 24litres) I'm getting about 34mpg (uk). That's if I add 20miles for the reserve on my 160mile round trip to work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only notice it so much as a return trip to work on the triumph only used around £12 in fuel. The bird needs £18ish for the same journey.

·
Super Moderator
8,128 Posts
If you run it low enough I believe the indicator bars start to flash at I want to say 1 or 2 on the display.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Definitely no "low fuel light".
By my calculations, (If the fuel tank is 5.3 uk gallons = 24litres) I'm getting about 34mpg (uk). That's if I add 20miles for the reserve on my 160mile round trip to work.
160 mile round trip, that's a good distance. Your stated fuel economy is very poor but it sounds like she runs OK. Might want to check the fuel pressure regulator (FPR), the diaphragm may be leaking fuel straight into the engine via the vacuum line. Pull the line off, it should be bone dry. Or, a heavy right wrist?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
160 mile round trip, that's a good distance. Your stated fuel economy is very poor but it sounds like she runs OK. Might want to check the fuel pressure regulator (FPR), the diaphragm may be leaking fuel straight into the engine via the vacuum line. Pull the line off, it should be bone dry. Or, a heavy right wrist?
I'll take a look on my next day off. Right wrist isn't too bad - speed limit + 10% lol

·
Registered
440 Posts
For us on carbies out there (I'm an 97 xx-v with 40k miles on clock):

In daily town traffic on softish tyres (pressure not compound) I hit reserve at 125 and get at least 145 miles per tank (side stand filled… though never ran until dry).

On UK motorways that goes up to 180-200 miles per tank (res to stop line re comfort zone into reserve) .

Obvs if I run better tyre pressures the consumption improves though not by much (e.g. max ever town stop start wad 150 miles for a tank).

Fyi I run super (99 octane) not the regular (97 octane). I tend to see 10% improvement in distance if running super so if on long tour I go super to minimise pit stops if daily run I see if super is less than 10% extra than regular then I go super else happy with regular.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Mallow, Carbies have a smaller tank remember by almost 1 gal from what I've read, so your numbers sound good to me. I tried all grades, ethanol, non ethanol etc. honestly, not much in it really. She (2000FI) always ran fine, mpg were down to me more than anything.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
For us on carbies out there (I'm an 97 xx-v with 40k miles on clock):

In daily town traffic on softish tyres (pressure not compound) I hit reserve at 125 and get at least 145 miles per tank (side stand filled… though never ran until dry).

On UK motorways that goes up to 180-200 miles per tank (res to stop line re comfort zone into reserve) .

Obvs if I run better tyre pressures the consumption improves though not by much (e.g. max ever town stop start wad 150 miles for a tank).

Fyi I run super (99 octane) not the regular (97 octane). I tend to see 10% improvement in distance if running super so if on long tour I go super to minimise pit stops if daily run I see if super is less than 10% extra than regular then I go super else happy with regular.
Yeah that's great to me, wished I got that on my 98, when I 1st got her I'd get ~300-315km (186-195ml) to the red light but these days the carbs have obviously worn as I rarely get more than 150km (93ml) and matters not whether I'm cruising on the Fwy/Hwy or giving it a hammering on the backroads in the hills :(

·
Registered
440 Posts
Mallow, Carbies have a smaller tank remember by almost 1 gal from what I've read, so your numbers sound good to me.
Thanks Fizzy,

Nice to have a reality check on my consumption.

Good point re EFI tank being bigger. Darn it… that's now just got me wondering if I can port/ mod/ fit am EFI tank on a Carbie to get the extra range. Anyone done that?

I'll start another thread if a search doesn't throw anything up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts