Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Blackbird
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, firstly thanks for having me on board.

My Bird history is relatively simple. Back in 1999, I took my CBR1000F into my local Honda dealer for a service and MOT.

As usual he lent me a bike, just so happened to be a 1998 Bird. Rode it home, got the wife loaded up and went for a ride, long story short the Blackbird didnt go back. Loved it, still love it and cant see me selling it.

I have been lucky enough to have ridden various makes and models of bikes in my past employment having attained a number of accredited riding qualifications along the way. The Blackbird just does it all for me with no fuss.

Just used these days for days out.

The plastics are just starting to show thier age so will be looking for help and advice on possible repairs or replacements.

Hopefully a few pictures attached.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

·
Administrator
9,296 Posts
Welcome aboard good sir. Love the red on the BB.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So, firstly thanks for having me on board.

My Bird history is relatively simple. Back in 1999, I took my CBR1000F into my local Honda dealer for a service and MOT.

As usual he lent me a bike, just so happened to be a 1998 Bird. Rode it home, got the wife loaded up and went for a ride, long story short the Blackbird didnt go back. Loved it, still love it and cant see me selling it.

I have been lucky enough to have ridden various makes and models of bikes in my past employment having attained a number of accredited riding qualifications along the way. The Blackbird just does it all for me with no fuss.

Just used these days for days out.

The plastics are just starting to show thier age so will be looking for help and advice on possible repairs or replacements.

Hopefully a few pictures attached.

View attachment 132626 View attachment 132627
Hello, cool colour bike mate in the sun.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hello, cool colour bike mate in the sun.
Agreed. Can't see how anyone looking at that picture wouldn't be wishing they had a bike like that. :love:

We were out and about around Hadrians wall a couple of weeks ago.

Didn't see ya - so ya probably need ter get out a bit more... ;) :geek: :LOL:

Welcome to the site! (y)

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,660 Posts
Welcome mate. Commiserations on the billboard number plate you guys are required to have.

·
Registered
1998 Blackbird
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We try to get out as much as we can but long days driving a HGV through harvest gets in the way of summer fun.
Full retirement planned for next year so hopefully will be able to rack some more miles up and fingers crossed, fuel prices come down.

As for the reg plate, better to be legal than getting pulled by the cops over hear. That could be embarrassing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi there, welcome :)

I used to have a 1000F as well, I think you can really feel the 1000F DNA in the Bird.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hello Fellow Fighter Pilot! Welcome aboard! Great bunch here. Tons of great usable info. And members ready and willing help. I actually came from a 1000F so know the feeling! Heavy as a cement truck BUT solid! Again welcome!
Oh! Well you have a few options... 1- Paint, 2-Wrap using red vinyl(both these methods would require new stickers/logo which are still purchasable) 3- Chinese copy which isn't all that bad. The whole kit can be had on Ebay in various colours with stickers and logos in place... you'll also find some "OEM" colours as well. If you go the Chinese route you'll need to fab/cut out insulation for the side lower panels... Not really necessary BUT better to protect the inside plastics from potentially warping from engine heat...
I presume that most people would do what I did. Took original panels and traced out each insulation panel on tracing paper. Then cut those shapes out on new thinner silver insulation. Good luck! And as always once done, let's see some pics! Cheers!

·
Registered
1998 Blackbird
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions.

I have today managed to source and buy from a breakers a solid seat cowl and front mudguard and in the exact same colour so that's the two problem areas sorted. Side fairings are still solid which is good.

As for the old 1000F, owned a number of them and like you all say, solid, dependable and reliable but heavy old girls.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts