Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi Guys
on my nr 2 bb that i got in a dry stored condition i have pretty much solved every issue as per my earlier subs
i recently got into a snag with the following
the indicators are hesitant to blink
so i move the indicator lever full to the side and it wont light up
if i do it several times it may start to light up solid and you will hear the relay clicking fast but not flash
if i repeat several times then it may start to flash if i hold the lever to end of stroke
once its started falshinf several times it normally will continue enen if i let go of the lever
same on both sides
guess the contacts in the switch housing are oxidised??
look forward to your news
paul

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you got it from dry storage, I would agree the contacts need cleaning... Particularly if it kind of works after sliding the lever multiple times.

It's not difficult, just several small bits to keep in order when disassembling/assembling.

·
Super Moderator
8,343 Posts
Paul a word of wisdom here. Before you take it apart put a towel around it making a cradle. So that it will catch any stray ball bearings of launching springs. Besides making things dang near impossible to reach sometimes them japanese engineers booby trap the switch assemblies:D

Reactions: Roboman

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,921 Posts
I agree with cleaning the switch. I had the same problem last year with an old 1985 Honda Rebel 250. Even changed out a turn signal unit. Nothing worked until I took the flasher switch apart and totally cleaned it and put new dielectric grease in it. Blinkers work fine and the switch works smoothly now.
Beestoy is right, watch out. I hung a 1 gallon plastic ice cream bucket under mine. It caught everything. But then I had handle bars on that bike!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Try spraying wd40 into it, work it a few times and may be ok. Had the same thing and this worked for me. If not then the strip route is the only way to go. I did the wd 2 years ago and it's still working, suprisingly!

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,921 Posts
Why do people recommend Wd-40 instead of Contact Cleaner when switches aren’t functioning?
I don't know. WD40 dries out and leaves a sticky layer. It wasn't made to be a lubricant. Drives moisture out. I spray metal things that I am storing in the barn so they don't rust or I spray it on bike parts so they don't rust for a while. That's it anymore.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't know. WD40 dries out and leaves a sticky layer. It wasn't made to be a lubricant. Drives moisture out. I spray metal things that I am storing in the barn so they don't rust or I spray it on bike parts so they don't rust for a while. That's it anymore.

Exactly my point too.

If anyone has a problem with a switch, get the aerosol contact cleaner. Disconnect power from the switch and flush the internals and flip the switch repeatedly. If the area is tight and not easy to get into, used compressed air to blow it dry or just wait a good while so it can evaporate on its own. Do this a few times until it either works or you give up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the same problem with my Bird. Took the switch apart, the grease inside dried out and nasty. Cleaned everything up, re greased with dielectric grease, works good now. Like what everybody else was saying, watch out for the small parts. And maybe use your phone to take a picture of how everything is setting before you pull all the parts out. With a picture it make it easier to put back together. I wish I had taken a picture of mine before I pulled all the parts out, would had made putting it all back together a whole lot easier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts