Honda CBR XX Forum banner

Help needed with shipping a bike (in parts) overseas

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  ravi 
#1 ·
I need some help. One of the bikes i own here in India is a 1975 Yamaha RD350B (sold in India in 1985 through a local tie-up).

Original parts for these are extremely difficult to come by, here in India, and I am therefore looking to do the following:
(a) buy a good condition specimen in the US / UK
(b) strip it down to parts
(c) ship the parts in lots to India

Rationale for doing (b) and (c) is that Indian import laws do not allow import of a used / old bike and I will therefore be bringing this down and using as parts for replacement on my current RD. This is what i really need help with.

I can arrange for payment to the seller but need to know if any of you know a workshop which will hold the bike for me for say 2-3 months while also stripping it down to parts and packaging the respective lots. I will arrange for a shipper to pick up the packages, if needed.

Still trying to figure out whether the economics will work at all; so any help in this direction will be much appreciated.

Ravi

See less See more
#2 ·
Wouldn't it be better to just buy a diff bike. It all seems like a frustrating time consuming and expensive ordeal. But hey! Go for it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Why dont you contact GrahamcUK on here or Velocity shack on facebook. He has always been of great help to forum members.

#5 ·
If you find one and can get it to me I'd be happy to store it and even tear it down for you and bag the parts for shipping.

Reactions: bladebird
#7 ·
Also good luck finding one that anyone would want to part. Those things are like gold over here. Those that know what they have either ride it and will part with it when you come over and dig it up out of the grave they had it buried in with them. Or it's so far gone it isn't worth the scrap metal it has become but still carries a hell of a price just because it's an RD350.

#9 ·
After much deliberation and after a long chat with Shewie, decided that logistically getting too difficult and prohibitively expensive to manage. The idea stands dropped. Even wrote to the seller whether he himself was willing to part out and ship stuff but understandable sentimentality since he is first owner since 1974 :)

Shewie, many thanks again. Was great catching up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.