Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was In San Francisco on my old '99 bird (back-up bike) which I leave in my parking garage at the apartment, and the dam thing quit on me

Battery died (would not hold charge) I had to bump start it after stopping n then it would barely start with massive push. It died again and no starting at all n then pushed the beast 12 city blocks (yeah yeah uphill in a snow storm) to Autozone

New charged battery an all but no go... messed with connection, topped off the battery again with 100% charge, connected the battery super tight and then she roared to life. After a few more errands I was on my way back to the house (at night of coarse) and the bike shut down... 100% off like I turned the key off.

Messed with the battery and for an instant she juiced up, (thought I saw a spark) then cut out again. She's dead now... (Battery has juice)

Bike is parked in SF on the street and has to be moved tomorrow.

Could it be a plug loose or the Computer? I remember something like this happening a long time ago with the brains in the tail section rattled n the plug got loose

Help!!!

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
Body / Paint / Electrical / Lights
Here is some reading for you that might get it sorted out. Of course, get your Bird home, as soon as possible off the street. Good luck.

·
I are the grammar police
3,362 Posts
Afraid there's no easy answer except to get it back to the parking garage and find the loose/broken wire or connector that you'll surely find somewhere - when you moved the battery, it started, right?

Didn't you post about this bike having a failed stator a few weeks ago? Maybe retrace the work that was done then to see if something wasn't put back together right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This seems like a plug or connection issue...

Was thinking of driving up and getting some electrical grease and going through each plug one by one... I think is was not charging fully as well as a connection but it had a new battery so even if the stator was bad, the battery should be able to run it to get it home (I think)

I have another new battery I can charge and top off so I go with it as well.... Just seems strange to have NO dash lights or anything... Almost like the key switch plug came apart.... So not looking forward to wrenching on he street in SF....

Any ideas on what plugs to concentrate on would be helpful Thought I saw a spark on left side of battery box down in there last night.

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
Almost like the key switch plug came apart....
I think you may have accidentally come very close. The ignition switch could be your problem. The switch itself is surprisingly delicate and prone to problems. Did you try turning it on-off-on a few times? It may be as simple as some corrosion or carbon buildup on the contacts. Also, try unplugging and reseating the relays under the seat to clean anything off those connections as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah... I may keep messing with the key switch as well as checking all the connections... Strange deal.... Bike has tons of miles and is kinda beat to hell but always runs so the thought of a loose connection seems plausible since it was super hard to bump start toward the end of the ordeal..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After an hour I got the power up n on (plug) but no fuel. Bike turns over but no noise when I turn the key/switch no sound. No fuel pump/injector noise. No fuel at all. Did my fuel pump go out ?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
daygoxx I must ask this:
is the kill switch on?
if the pump worked before U sorted out the other trouble and now it doesn't......I'd say what did I do, and were was I working....along with a bit of wtf.

Stex, out

Reactions: Shewie

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
daygoxx I must ask this:
is the kill switch on?
if the pump worked before U sorted out the other trouble and now it doesn't......I'd say what did I do, and were was I working....along with a bit of wtf.

Stex, out
This has happened to me a couple of times when I've come back to the bike and some numpty has been fiddling with things.
Bear in mind that the fuel pump relay is controlled by the ECM, as are the coils. Do you know if you have spark? What is the FI indicator doing when you power up?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So... the bike was running fine, then the battery goes noticeably dead so

I figure It was a weak battery since I was stopping and starting
the bike a lot that day. Then it bump starts a few times then I put a new battery in it. Main plug comes unplugged, I re-plug it together and check all connections. Has total power, but no fuel injection noise when I kick on the run/stop switch. Checked the connection at the fuel pump and looked good, but did not have a meter.

?- would a bad relay or pump short out my battery (or drain it) and then when the battery is replaced the relay just not work?

?- Bike did start once (without the fuel pump pre-start noise coming on) last night and continued to run until I turned it off last night (dumb move since it's on the street in SF again) How could that be? juice at a higher level while running and somehow the relay it kicking on?

·
I are the grammar police
3,362 Posts
Hi daygoxx, it's difficult to help over the internet, to do so we need the information requested, such as:

Do you know if you have spark? What is the FI indicator doing when you power up?
...you didn't post an answer... :idunno:

The FI indicator shows faults by a sequence of blinks and it's real obvious. It's also real important.

You most likely have an intermittent fault somewhere. That may sound bl**ding obvious, but if that's so, it requires a certain approach to solving the problem. They're notoriously difficult to find because they're intermittent. It's no good guessing. It could be just a dumb loose plug, corroded ground or something else obvious, but you have to find it and that can be difficult. As I posted, if you want to solve this properly, I recommend you get the bike off the road and start to pull it apart. What's the main plug? Is this the connector to the ECU (at the tail of the bike)? When you say you checked all connections, are you sure? There's a cluster of them behind the instrument panel, there's a main fuse, the reg/rec connections and other branches. The main loom - which could be damaged - runs from the nose to the tail. There are grounds here and there too. To check all of this, you pretty much have to strip all of the fairings off to get to everything. You may have done that, and apologies if you did, but you don't say so.

Download the service manual here - it will show you where everything is:

Honda CBR 1100XX Service Manual 1999+

If you're going to do this yourself (with some help from here), you'll need to buy/borrow a multimeter or at least have a continuity checker. Connectors, relays and other things can look fine but be u/s due to broken wires or corrosion or internal failure - which isn't always obvious and impossible to say over the internet.

Good luck and lots of help available here, but we need help too!

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
The reason I was asking about the FI lamp is: the lamp is controlled by the ECM. If it's doing nothing at all, that's as big a clue as a series of flashes.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
daygoxx,

Everything Dr. Mayfield said was spot on concerning your troubles.

It's going to take some serious anelizing now.:) and the curb is no place to sort this out specially in SF while bending over and all looking for troubles.

All them years riding her with no troubles then now this.

Recon this is your day daygoxx to learn about your XX.
A little bit of common sence and some critical thinking will lead U to a running machine ounce again......Well PLUS help from fellow form members.

U Can Do It!

Stex

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
The reason I was asking about the FI lamp is: the lamp is controlled by the ECM. If it's doing nothing at all, that's as big a clue as a series of flashes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts