Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started this thread to avoid going off topic on another thread.

I did a simple mod to my helmet to allow the Bluetooth comms to recharge wirelessly and automatically when I put it on it's helmet rack at the end of a day's commuting.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Boy you are a techy aren't you. That charging for the helmet is ingenious.
Thanks. Easy to do. Y shaped USB splitter ( 1x male micro usb to 2x female micro USBs) and an aftermarket Qi universal receiver for a smartphone (with micro USB). The splitter is so I can still charge via USB cable if I'm away from home.

Automotive lighting Cable Rectangle Font Data transfer cable
Font Musical instrument accessory Cable Electronics accessory Fashion accessory

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My Bluetooth set up is a prior project. I ported the innerds from a Schuberth SCR C3 Pro BT collar into the collar of my Arai helmet.

The Schuberth is actually a Cardo system rebranded for Schuberth and the collar zips open making it relatively easy to extract the parts (buttons/ PCB in left side, battery & mic on the right, ribbon connector between the two sides).
Peripheral Input device Font Musical instrument accessory Gadget

In my case rather than dismantle a rather pricey BT set up I bought a used one for <£50 off FleaBay.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Then its a simple case of plugging the splitter into the usb on the Schuberth. Then the Qi receiver into one end of the Y and leaving the other free to take a cable charger if needed.

I then unpicked the stitching in my Arai collar and inserted the working parts (NB this does involve cutting some holes for the button assembly but they are a plastic box screwed shut so very easy to open and insert into the Arai and screw shut again sandwiching the fabric between internal and external sides of the button housing).

The Qi I placed in the inside rear of the collar (nape of neck) so it faces downwards when my lid is put on a shelf.

The end result is a streamlined helmet with BT comms built in (I don't like bolt on blobs stuck to one side or another) with convenience re charging.
Peripheral Camera accessory Automotive tire Rim Plastic

Fyi I did mod the Schuberth more (upgraded antenna for better range and the boom mic was stripped down and boom removed. Wires inlaid and mic embedded in the lining (ear phones too) so my lid is still free of snags when pulling on and off).

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then yes, I've also overly complicated the charger. Qi charging pad (added a micro switch to it's underside to act as a pressure switch to turn it on when i put my lid down on it though I may replace it with a magnetic switch as it's not overly robust).

Final tweak is using a IoT wifi power socket/ plug to be a belt and braces back up to ensure the charger turns off (timer set to supply power overnight only)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Final set up… arrive home, pop my bone dome on it's rack (auto charging activated), leathers on their hangers. Job done.
Helmet Comfort Headgear Automotive design Personal protective equipment

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,398 Posts
Final set up… arrive home, pop my bone dome on it's rack (auto charging activated), leathers on their hangers. Job done.
I like it! Easy? One man's easy is another's quagmire!
Now I run a Nuclear Reactor at a power plant... I can talk about that easily... or mechanical things too. Tech stuff for modern comms is different. I'd have to start really studying it for a bit and I might get it.
I'm with you though on the helmet blob. It causes more wind noise.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks XXG,

I have to say my Arai isn't the quietest lid I've ever had so not adding noisy blobs is big for me.

For example I use to use an eTint LCD visor insert. It serves a dual function… firstly double glazing so anti fogging effect. Secondly (and I guess it's primary commercial sell point) it auto dims and auto clears electronically depending upon intensity of daylight. Summers day… it's heavy tint/dark LCD, ride into a tunnel it instantly goes clear. Way faster than photochromatic inserts.

The old version (model AX10) had the manual overide button as a low profile central visor stick on. The newer version (AX12) ruined those sleek lines by going for a lhs blob. Grrrr… so I stopped using it. I am however I'm tryimg to splice the new upgraded LCD screen to my old controller as it would be great to have it back on my lid (albeit another thing to keep charged).

No idea if it'll work or be compatible but fingers crossed that blind luck is on my side as I have to say I've no idea of the micro pin connector settings nor voltage/ ampage etc. If it doesn't work I may go for their LCD sunglasses instead to achieve the same effect.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AX10 (Arai version) with central controls
Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Newer AX12 with blobby side controller
Head White Sports gear Personal protective equipment Helmet

99% of time you don't need to use the manual controller. Automatic mode is pretty slick and reliable. I just hate the blob!

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,398 Posts
That's interesting but I'll stick with me old fashioned ways... such as my glasses changing and my old school mechanical Shoei GT Air with its inner dark tinted shield deployed with a flick of my finger and not prone to failure for unknown Electrical reasons.
You need to change or amend your name to "Mallow the Gadget Guy"!
Half the things you show I don't even know they exist.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
… I'll stick with me old fashioned ways... …and not prone to failure for unknown Electrical reasons.
I hear you… if it ain't broken… don't fix it! KISS rocks!

You need to change or amend your name to "Mallow the Gadget Guy"!
😂 😂 😂 I once used to be referred to as "Professor Gadget" in a former sphere and oddly enough "Q" in another!

Half the things you show I don't even know they exist.
I just can't help myself… that's the geeky nerdy side of me that has to have a tweak or two out of idle curiosity. Tomorrow Qi wireless heated gloves then on on to the Holly Grail of HUD here I come!

Wishing you and yours a very Happy New Year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts