Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Play, it makes life fun
Check your Fuel Pressure Regulator. It is probably bad. Pull oil dip stick or oil fill plug and see if it smells like gas. Sure sign FPR is bad.
Take plugs out and turn engine by hand. Put a rag over the spark plug holes when you do it.
Search fuel Pressure regulator. Plenty of threads on that.

Welcome!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: akentak

Registered
97 would be a carby. No FPR. Check the carb floats and the fuel supply mechanism at the tank.

Play, it makes life fun
97 would be a carby. No FPR. Check the carb floats and the fuel supply mechanism at the tank.
Duh, I knew that! That's what comes of being up at 0300 in the morning!

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Wow you guys are fast! Thank you for the quick response.
so yes it鈥檚 a carby, they were stuck, it did hydro lock my cylinders. I removed plugs, cleaned them Up. Blew out the cylinders with air. And it then cranked over fine and started. I then shut it off and checked the oil, it was full, drained out engine, blew it out for a bit, then fresh oil in. Started running great again.
Here鈥檚 the heartbreaker. After putting some miles on it and it was warmed up I noticed some sounds like pre-ign knock. Especially at higher RPM鈥檚. Then driving home it started missing.

So now I鈥檓 sick about it, pretty sure when it initially hydrolocked, (happened when trying to start it, hit hard) I must鈥檝e bent a rod. 馃が

she only has 10k miles on her, and now I鈥檝e ruined it!
So after being depressed all night and kicking myself for killing her, I went out again, ran it, it is smooth and quiet until it warms up, then the upper end knocking, then sputters out.

So, I guess rebuild the upper end? Has anyone been into these?
My expertise is cars, diesels, etc..

only split case I鈥檝e played with is rebuilding a 1967 911 Porsche back in the day.

anyway, you guys are awesome and I appreciate your helpfulness!

Play, it makes life fun
I would drain the oil again and refill. Not all the oil drains and it might be still contaminated and thinned out. You may need to flush it with a few more changes. Beestoy has really torn into these, TheDuck also.

Super Moderator
Ok so sounds like your still hanging needle seats open and your flooding out.

So after being depressed all night and kicking myself for killing her, I went out again, ran it, it is smooth and quiet until it warms up, then the upper end knocking, then sputters out.

When you changed oil did you change the filter also. (You didnt mention it). If not rinse and repeat the oil change with a new filter. Then refill and new filter again. You could do a compression check. If they all are close you may be lucky.

Reactions: ptxyz

Registered
I would pull the tank and carbs. Check the vacuum petcock on the tank for proper operation. Clean and rebuild the carbs. I would also rebuild the vacuum petcock while the tank is off.

I have a 鈥98 with 13000 miles and it was all gunked up bad from sitting too much over the years. Runs like as Swiss watch now. Before the carb rebuild it was so noisy I thought the engine was junk.

I got my bike for free because the previous owner hydro locked it and thought it was seized. The crankcase was full of fuel.

Here鈥榮 my 23 year old low mileage carbs.

Super Moderator
Second the above. If it starts to load up and misfire it can induce piston slap that'll sound like holy hell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts