Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not exactly a spring chicken here. At 68 I have been riding sense I was about 10. I currently own 8 bikes, three of which I built myself. I picked up this 03 Bird in July of this year after looking for the right one for a couple of years. In Sept I took it on a 2000 mile ride with my usual riding buddies (all of us current or retired police officers) through Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado. Loved riding it but not quite as comfy as my BMW R1200RT (but much faster). I did the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb (Race To The Clouds) twice (2008 and 2010) and just had to take the other 7 riders of our group up the hill. We all had intercoms so it was great narrating the 12.4 mile course along the way. It's all paved now but back then it was half paved and half dirt. A light snow falling when we got to the 14,115 summit. What made it "interesting" was that I lost my rear brake pedal ( due to a leaking front secondary master cylinder) the second day out and did the rest of the trip with just the front brake lever, but that doesn't mean I didn't have (some) rear brake. Thanks linked braking system. To tell the truth I rarely use much rear brake so I didn't miss it. The bike didn't miss a beat either even at that altitude. I averaged 42 to 44 mpg the entire trip and we cruise @ 10 to 15 mph over posted limit. I did one speed run in N.M. where I hit 150 indicated (144 on GPS) and backed off because I was afraid my SW Moto bags would depart the bike but they held tight. I like those bags a lot. They worked out great. The bike is everything I'd hope it would be. Semi comfortable for this beat up old body, very fast, verrry smooth and well built. It will be part of the heard for a long time.
FYI: The Mecum motorcycle auction is this late January. One of the "Featured" bikes on Saturday is a nice Blackbird. It will be interesting to see what it goes for. I have noticed the prices of B-Birds still climbing. I have no doubt they will be very collectable in the future. I still have a small rear brake issue that I will post in a different thread. Maybe someone out there has experienced the same issue and can help me out.
Ride safe and watch out for the squirrels (man and animal).
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive lighting

Attachments

· Registered
49 Posts
Not exactly a spring chicken here. At 68 I have been riding sense I was about 10. I currently own 8 bikes, three of which I built myself. I picked up this 03 Bird in July of this year after looking for the right one for a couple of years. In Sept I took it on a 2000 mile ride with my usual riding buddies (all of us current or retired police officers) through Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado. Loved riding it but not quite as comfy as my BMW R1200RT (but much faster). I did the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb (Race To The Clouds) twice (2008 and 2010) and just had to take the other 7 riders of our group up the hill. We all had intercoms so it was great narrating the 12.4 mile course along the way. It's all paved now but back then it was half paved and half dirt. A light snow falling when we got to the 14,115 summit. What made it "interesting" was that I lost my rear brake pedal ( due to a leaking front secondary master cylinder) the second day out and did the rest of the trip with just the front brake lever, but that doesn't mean I didn't have (some) rear brake. Thanks linked braking system. To tell the truth I rarely use much rear brake so I didn't miss it. The bike didn't miss a beat either even at that altitude. I averaged 42 to 44 mpg the entire trip and we cruise @ 10 to 15 mph over posted limit. I did one speed run in N.M. where I hit 150 indicated (144 on GPS) and backed off because I was afraid my SW Moto bags would depart the bike but they held tight. I like those bags a lot. They worked out great. The bike is everything I'd hope it would be. Semi comfortable for this beat up old body, very fast, verrry smooth and well built. It will be part of the heard for a long time.
FYI: The Mecum motorcycle auction is this late January. One of the "Featured" bikes on Saturday is a nice Blackbird. It will be interesting to see what it goes for. I have noticed the prices of B-Birds still climbing. I have no doubt they will be very collectable in the future. I still have a small rear brake issue that I will post in a different thread. Maybe someone out there has experienced the same issue and can help me out.
Ride safe and watch out for the squirrels (man and animal). View attachment 135096 View attachment 135096
Lovely looking bike! Great to hear you took your Bird on a fantastic flight.
welcome!

· Play, it makes life fun
2,488 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois.
Most problems with the brakes co.es from not changing fluid out before gunk starts to accumulate. That gets stuck in the small orifices. If rear brake isn't releasing like it should then it is most likely that your return orifice in the secondary master cylinder on the left fork is clogged or clogging. Many a topic discussion here if you search. Nice bike.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: CBXMike
1 - 11 of 11 Posts