Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Shakennotstirred
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My street fighted bird has a very heavy throttle, have no reference as to how it should be, I just feel its to much of a strong pull.
It had a custom cable made so going to start there and get one with the Teflon coating.
What are the stock pull like, is it the same as most bikes or is it heavy.

·
Registered
255 Posts
did this happen all of a sudden after some incident or adjustment?

both my birds (and all of my bike for that matter) were pretty consistent in effort. i'd inspect the cables and carbs and then lubricate.

·
Shakennotstirred
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been like it since I bought it 4 weeks ago. It had a custom cable made about 6 months ago,.
Im going to take this tank n air box off and check the run of the cable and see if for some reason they have added a stronger return spring thinking it was needed

·
Super Moderator
12,518 Posts
I notice you have non OE bar ends fitted, try loosening the RH bar end off first. You might be seeing the problem (often seen when heated grips are fitted) where the bar end interferes with the grip and you end up with a stiff/sticky throttle.
Does the throttle snap closed when released?

I note you refer to 'cable', you do have two don't you?

·
Shakennotstirred
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The grip is open-ended so it's not that.
yes, the throttle snaps closed, it's just heavy opening it. like a stronger spring has been used.

yes, only 1 cable. the other isn't needed to open the throttle, it just there as a safety measure to help you close the throttle if the other is frayed.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
"yes, only 1 cable. the other isn't needed to open the throttle, it just there as a safety measure to help you close the throttle if the other is frayed"

And allow a lighter return spring as it helps overcome resistance in the mechanism I'd suspect, probably answers your question?

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
I've read that the "cable B" (pull to close) was put in place because it was found that during some situations of extreme intake vacuum, the carb slides might hang in the open position, thus not letting the throttle return to the off position. Flat slide carb designs might be said to be prone to this issue I believe the item stated. It could be said that it is a "liability/safety" item. Something that might help you handle the extra spring tension is a "cramp buster". It simply slides on over your throttle grip and allows you to use palm pressure to open and hold the throttle position you desire. It is not a perfect system fix, mind you. I find that with mine I need to have it correctly placed for my normal "cruise speed" throttle position output. This "position" sometimes makes me touch the throttle open when in fact I'm trying to throttle down for down shifts and such at lower speeds. You must be careful in it's use. They are very easy to reposition when needed. Another option would be a throttle lock type cruise control or some sort. I use a Vista Cruise unit. Couple pictures attached try to show both these items.

T.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts