Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Christmas has brought me some spending cash and I'm considering heated gloves for the first time. I have heated bars but that still means my fingertips get cold on long m'way rides if coverimg my levers in heavy traffic.

A quick google on reviews (e.g. MCN etc) threw up wired v battery options and indeed combo ones even with/ without Bluetooth apps too!

One set caught my eye as being different. Ixon say they use Clim8 tech so it's various thermostats inside the gloves in different regions. Heat only comes on to those areas independently and only to maintain the desired temp set by the app.

Hmmm… that sounds sensible.

So, has anyone tried the Ixon IT- Aso Evo gloves?

Or can steer me to something similar from another brand.

My pref is comfort and safety, battery operated, up to 6hrs bat life, and thermostatically controlled not blindly one of several settings (e.g. lo/ medium/ hi) irrespective of changing external weather/ temp conditions.

At £250-300 I don't want to invest blindly.

Rgds Mallow1

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,398 Posts
I have the California Heat leather with Gore-tex glove. I have a heat troller with infinite heat settings on a reostat. They are comfortable but you need a plug in to the bike and a heated jacket liner to plug into then plug the gloves into the liner. They are excellent but they are a pain to plug in and get on once plugged. Nobody ever seems to talk about that when discussing heated gloves. I would think if you don't need them for all day or into the night riding then the battery option would be a good way to go.
When you make your decision and then test whatever you purchase let us know how they are!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
For the DIYers out there, could make your own heated glove liners.
Found this site. They use "carbon heater tape" which I had never heard of. Site is a little hokey but still interesting.
Carbon tape

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
… When you make your decision and then test whatever you purchase let us know how they are!
Yer XX, will do.

I figured I'd get frustrated with wired in versions for regular use.

A lot of the battery ones have poor bat life though some have "wired in" as a backup option. Rare that I go over 6+ hrs these days so I figure 6hr bat is good.

Sounds sensible to carry a spare set of bats as safeguard but also can be on recharge while other set is in use. Hmmm… bumps the cost up though.

Will possibly go with wire as backup or for know extra long journeys.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the DIYers out there, could make your own heated glove liners.
Found this site. They use "carbon heater tape" which I had never heard of. Site is a little hokey but still interesting.
Carbon tape
Oooh… yet another project to attempt! Fizzy you’re killing me. Great find! They even have an instructable for diy heated gloves…

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,398 Posts
Key would be to me... how long do batteries last in terms of life cycles before they need replacement. Something to think about.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Key would be to me... how long do batteries last in terms of life cycles before they need replacement. Something to think about.

According to their site, it works ok with 12V, so can use bike power.

Batteries shown Panasonic 3400mAh = 3.4Ah or 3.4Amps for 1 hour.
I won't bore you with the calcs, but if you can build 2 gloves with 100cm of this tape, 2 batteries will last about 2+ hours, if their claims are to be believed.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm… wonder if you could put a wireless Qi charging pad in your bike grips and receiver in the palms of the gloves big enough to power the tapes?

Come to that, a massive one in your pants and bike seat to power jacket and pants wirelessly (else extend operating time)?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to just mount a microwave oven on the handlebars and leave the door open? :unsure:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or just move to a warmer climate unless global warming happens faster than progress on most of my projects! 😉 🤣

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,398 Posts
Hey mallow,
I have a link for a hitch made in Australia. Mount that on your bike and tow a Tesla tower behind you!
Or heated grips and good gloves.
I just found some $20 (US) BILT gloves that I was fine in while running around in 45°F or a bit less that I was fine in. Wind and waterproof. I was surprised. Add heated grips and I would have been fine to the upper 30's. I was surprised.
That's way cheaper then buying heated.

Someone above stated they didn't want to be plugged into the bike? Why? I forget at least a 3rd of the time and it automatically unplugs as I get off!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi XXG,

Ooh a towed Tesla tower… very old school! I love keeping things simple and slick chic by being complicated behind the scenes.

Like when I add my hazard light function, I could have just bolted on an extra switch. Nope, full left switchgear replacement from donor Bandit, so Suzuki to BB loom splicing etc all so it looks OEM seemless.

So, yep I've got heated grips and good winter gloves already. My intent is to avail myself of new tech without adding extra steps to my daily biker routine. That's the OCD side of me. If I can have heated gloves without doing anything different… ooh that's appealing.

Indeed if the tech is automatic re thermostat then even better. I'd just put gloves on like always. If they turn themselves on to maintain a set temp as the weather changes to colder, bingo. So all I need is then to add Qi charging so when I put them down at home they auto recharge.

FYI I've done that with my lid's BT comms already… a Qi receiver in my lid collar receives charge from a Qi transmitter on my helmet rack. The pressure of my lid being returned to the rack turns on the juice via a pressure switch. My lid bluetooth is therefore always charged and ready without me having to remember to plug it in to charge up or remember to turn the charger off when my lud isn't there. Lazy aren't I!

I'm kinda aiming for the same with heated gloves. Of course totally unnecessary but totally nerdy and totally me.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,398 Posts
Hi XXG,

Ooh a towed Tesla tower… very old school! I love keeping things simple and slick chic by being complicated behind the scenes.

Like when I add my hazard light function, I could have just bolted on an extra switch. Nope, full left switchgear replacement from donor Bandit, so Suzuki to BB loom splicing etc all so it looks OEM seemless.

So, yep I've got heated grips and good winter gloves already. My intent is to avail myself of new tech without adding extra steps to my daily biker routine. That's the OCD side of me. If I can have heated gloves without doing anything different… ooh that's appealing.

Indeed if the tech is automatic re thermostat then even better. I'd just put gloves on like always. If they turn themselves on to maintain a set temp as the weather changes to colder, bingo. So all I need is then to add Qi charging so when I put them down at home they auto recharge.

FYI I've done that with my lid's BT comms already… a Qi receiver in my lid collar receives charge from a Qi transmitter on my helmet rack. The pressure of my lid being returned to the rack turns on the juice via a pressure switch. My lid bluetooth is therefore always charged and ready without me having to remember to plug it in to charge up or remember to turn the charger off when my lud isn't there. Lazy aren't I!

I'm kinda aiming for the same with heated gloves. Of course totally unnecessary but totally nerdy and totally me.
Boy you are a techy aren't you. That charging for the helmet is ingenious. I had to hook up my helmet to my power source on a ride the other day because wasn't fully charged. I plugged into a power source on my clutch reservoir while riding but wireless would be cool.

·
Registered
Cbr1100xx Super Blackbird
1 Posts
Hi folks,

Christmas has brought me some spending cash and I'm considering heated gloves for the first time. I have heated bars but that still means my fingertips get cold on long m'way rides if coverimg my levers in heavy traffic.

A quick google on reviews (e.g. MCN etc) threw up wired v battery options and indeed combo ones even with/ without Bluetooth apps too!

One set caught my eye as being different. Ixon say they use Clim8 tech so it's various thermostats inside the gloves in different regions. Heat only comes on to those areas independently and only to maintain the desired temp set by the app.

Hmmm… that sounds sensible.

So, has anyone tried the Ixon IT- Aso Evo gloves?

Or can steer me to something similar from another brand.

My pref is comfort and safety, battery operated, up to 6hrs bat life, and thermostatically controlled not blindly one of several settings (e.g. lo/ medium/ hi) irrespective of changing external weather/ temp conditions.

At £250-300 I don't want to invest blindly.

Rgds Mallow1
Hi there … I can recommend these from RST priced really well through SportsBikeShop right now at around £151 (link below).

I’ve had mine now throughout the winter now and are super toasty. They’re wireless and fully charged batteries will last you around 3 ish hours. I’ve only ever had mine on the lowest setting which for me was adequate. They breath well yet retain the heat well too. We’ll come stricter using quality materials. Up to usual RST quality which is very good. Recommended you have a look 👍🏼

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks UKBirdy,

Much better price than the Ixon and also get good review in MCN article re best wireless heated gloves 2021. Defo a contender as as you ride in UK weather too so more of a directly helpful recommendation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts