Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Hope I can get your opinions on this one:idunno:. My situation is as follows;

About 12 months ago I replaced my battery with a "maintenance-free" battery. I had only had the BB for a few weeks and the old battery died while I was out and about, so I just bought a battery that was supposed to be the right one.

In recent weeks I was riding and noticed my headlight was not illuminated. I left the bike overnight and checked it in the morning; the headlight now worked. I charged the battery just in case and all was well for a fortnight before the same thing happened. I charged the battery once again and it seemed okay. I parked the bike for a few hours and when I fired up the BB again the headlight was not working.

After searching the forums, I have tried maintaining my revs above 1500rpm (to a point) to encourage the charging, and had a look at the R/R. The R/R was hot after a ride, but I tend to think that's normal, it certainly didn't look like it was melted or anything and I wouldn't expect it to reach any temp if it was just no longer working. It seems that the BB doesn't have any trouble starting or operating gauges and such; it's just the headlight as far as I can tell.:huh:

One more thing: I note that the problem coincides more or less with Sydney's big rains; I was working all through it and was still riding to and from work 4-5 days a week. The bike has been outside for the last couple of months as well due to our not having a garage at the moment, but I reckon the BB is tougher than that. My old man's been working with bikes all his life and he insists that the testing for these bikes include simulated conditions similar to a hailstorm so a bit of rain shouldn't bother the 'Bird too much.

Sorry for this long-winded post...:D

·
Registered
759 Posts
Does it ever go out during the same ride as when it was working, or once it starts with it on or off does it stay on or off until you shut off the bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've had a problem with the headlight once and found that the power for the headlight runs thru the kill switch, replaced and all is well. But mine had NO power so you might check for loose connections.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Get a voltmeter and check your charging systems output. Should be 13.8 to 14.5 VDC @ 2500+ RPM's. Does both bulbs not light up??.
If only one works, I'd guess a burned out bulb. Pull the plug to the bulb and check the voltage across the 2 poles. If you have voltage there, it's the bulb.
If not, you'll have to trace back untill you find the fault.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I rode my '98 rain, hail and shine. (The hail was painfull...:p) Yes, the BB is tougher than what you are witnessing.

Mine ran with no problems like that for years and I kept it out in the driveway as I don't have a carport, let alone a garage.:crying: I suspect a bad connection somewhere, does the light go off after a period of riding? From what you said it could be a thermal fault where the connection is ok until it heats up a bit, then it goes open circuit. Let us know what you find. BTW, I work in Parramatta, what suburb are you in? Maybe I can help?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your feedback so far:D

Taetor - on one occasion I started with a fully operational headlight, went for about 1km until I got stuck in traffic, then went off while I was waiting at the lights.:mad:

John - I thought it unlikely too considering the age of it, and it seems to be in good condition from what I can tell (bear in mind I am no mechanic or autolecky):idunno:

Scott - Generally if my low beam won't go on, the high beam follows suit. if I charge the battery again or leave the bike for a certain length of time (at least a few hours), the headlight usually works again.:hmm:

XXX - I'll have a bit more of a look around, I had a quick look and didn't find anything, but I haven't pulled everything off yet.:hmm:

Banshee - I live in Burwood and work in Cabramatta so I might just end up taking you up on that.:D

Madcow - I didn't know that, I'll have a look at that too.:huh:

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Hah! I grew up in Drummoyne and lived in Burwood for a couple of years after I got married. I know exactly where to go! :D

·
Craig
316 Posts
Don't forget the Hi/Lo relay and switch. I have had them go out on other bikes. Do you have the european Hi/lo/off switch or the type we have in the States? There is a interupter relay for starting that could be going bad too.
I don't have my manual out, but I think both relays are under the seat.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've been having the same problem. Intermittent headlight operation after engine start. Bumping the start button a few times will bring the headlight on. I opened up my switch today and sprayed some contact cleaner on the switch and it worked fine for a couple test starts. I'll see if it works tomorrow.

Service tech told me to replace the entire assembly (only option) if it still acts up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have tried a few different things now, and I think tripledigits is on the mark. I accidentally bumped the right switchblock and the light flicked straight on. After experimenting with it a bit, it seems like it is something to do with the phillips-head screw which fastens the switchblock to the bar, I could just touch it and the light would go back on.

It sounds a lot like what tripledigits has described. Seeing as there is no real urgency right now, I will probably just keep an eye on ebay and maybe grab a switchblock off it next pay to replace the switchblock assembly on there now.

Thanks everyone for all your help:clap:

·
Registered
102 Posts
My headlight has been working normally for a couple days now since I opened up the switch, sprayed the starter switch with electrical contact cleaner, followed that with contact lube, and reassembled.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello

I just had a similar problem with my '99 bird.

The headlight suddently stopped working. The headlight fuse was fine. Voltage to the headlight connector was 11.8V (engine not running), but no light whatsoever.

I then discovered the starter switch was the culprit. It didn't come back to its original place whenever I started the bike (it was kinda stucked in a third state).

Anyway, it seems the electrical current was fine as voltage go, but no amperage, although I didn't measure it.

To make a long story short, all I had to do was to lubricate the starter switch with a silicon-based lubricant and everything went back to normal.

Great bike, back to life.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks guys. Went on. 2000 mile tour and light has been playing up but I noticed if I pressed the starter button when the bike was running the light came back on. This thread has confirmed my guess that here was something to do with the switch. A quick clean and a spray of good old WD40 and it seems alright now. Thanks

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just started the bike up this morning and no Headlights. It's a "99". I came in from work last nite and parked it. Came out this AM no headlights. Bulbs are new H7 Ralleye from Osram. I did notice the low beam had a very feint orange glow as the element was barely lit. No HI-LO beam. Flicked the switch a few times and also the kill switch. No lights, so checked the fuse and that was OK. Took 4 wheels to work and read these posts. Didn't think about the starter switch so I'll check that tonite when I get off work. This site has tons of info. Thanks in advance. Will post results.

·
Registered
820 Posts
g'day bentleyss, it will be the starter button that is your gremlin mate, start the bike and pull the start button back towards you and as sure as bob's your uncle the h/light will come on, as long as it is switched on of course, the same problem with mine a while back, lights one minute, next start zero emission from light, pulled the RH switch block apart dismantled the start button,cleaned it out and small amount of grease,(very fiddly job can it can be done no worries) all good since.

The start button switch when pressed a operates a micro switch which kills the head light, on oz bikes anyway as the h/l is on at all times, so the starter motor gets full power, it gets a crud build up over time, give it a shot, costs nothing but your time and even if it doesn't fix your problem you can cross 'it' of your list.

muzz.

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
Yep, odds are very good it's the starter button. Either bad/corroded/burnt contacts or a wire has broken off.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Will check that out as soon as I get home tonite. It's been 2 1/2 yrs since I took a car to work and it's lousy. Much more enjoyable on the bike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts