Honda CBR XX Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I understand your feelings but it would scare me to death in any sort of bend and it may even throw you off, just my feelings, take care.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Car tire usage is not for everyone, but neither is putting your knee down at every corner.
Majority of my riding on the XX is upright, highway travels at highway speed; mixed with canyon carving & tight twisties in between; car tire can perform and well beyond my ability. It has not thrown me off since 2013, my first time using car tire on a 2-wheel vehicle.

I ride my XX to family reunion 450+ miles away every year, except this year.
Family relative who has zero experience riding bicycle or motorcycle tells me every time I see them:
Motorcycles are dangerous, you're going to kill yourself on that thing.

I appreciate the acceptance of car tire usage without prejudice.

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
There was a member a few years back that ran a similar setup and stated that it was a feeling you had to adjust too. But as you have discovered handled pretty well. And the advantages when stabbing it for long miles us very much worth it.
That wall flex is not that bad. Wanna scare yourself do the same video with a bike tire. On second thought if your thinking it gets close to the rim above you better not.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hmmmm, I knew side car riders convert to square tyres for their 3 wheelers (rounded m/c tyres make no sense on an 'outfit'), but I have never seen one on a sporty 2 wheeler.

That side wall flex is just what you'd see happening on a car rim anyway, and it lets the car tyre follow the road surface but it might feel a bit floaty, like when we get a puncture on a Blackbird.

I dunno if I'd ever consider it for bike usage but then again, it obviously works fine for certain riding duties..... maybe in a post apocalyptic doomsday prepper type of world, where everything would be in short supply....... including food, fuel, electricity and smooth well maintained bitumen roads ( :ROFLMAO: hang on, that's what we have now!)....... but I get 20,000kms (12,000mls) from a set of Michelin PR4 bike tyres anyway, and I quite like leaning through tight corners..... though I don't quite drag a knee on public pot holed roads.......

(y) Thanks for posting something a bit out of the usual......

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
Won't fit forks are too close

·
Registered
293 Posts
Errrrr, construct leading link front end, remove oem mud guard, fit side car....... square tyres = good.

:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Car tire manufacturers invest in research & fabrication of car tires likely million times more than motorcycle tires.
Technology that go into car tire are likely far more advanced than motorcycle tires.
If you want to revert back to tire technology from the 1920's, go right ahead.
As I said before, car tire usage on motorcycle is not for everyone, neither is putting your knee down at every corner.
If you don't like it, or have no interest in doing it; you don't have to comment about something you have zero experience and just speculate without basis.
You don't have to insult those who are doing it and have more experience with it than you ever will on the topic.

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
None
I don't think anyone was meaning to offend. There is some gentle ribbing that happens on occasion.

Reactions: fizzy

·
Registered
739 Posts
none, you say I have zero experience on the subject, but the subject is humour and I have plenty experience. It doesn't have to be all part numbers and voltages. Certainly didn't mean to offend.

·
Registered
24 Posts
none, you say I have zero experience on the subject, but the subject is humour and I have plenty experience. It doesn't have to be all part numbers and voltages. Certainly didn't mean to offend.
Start your own thread on humor instead of posting baseless comments for car tire usage on motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
WOW! Taking things a bit seriously here none! This has to be the most chilled out forum I know where so many folks just all bounce along together (y)

·
Registered
24 Posts
WOW! Taking things a bit seriously here none! This has to be the most chilled out forum I know where so many folks just all bounce along together (y)
When folks posts with zero contribution to topic of thread, it gets annoying.

I've said this before: car tire usage on motorcycle is not for everyone, but neither is putting your knee down on every corner.
I have been riding car tire mounted on different 2-wheel vehicles since 2013, I find that I can do it safely and still ride as aggressive as I like.
I ride to family reunion 475 mile away every year, except this year.
Relative of mine who has never ridden a bicycle or motorcycle keep telling me each time I see him: Motorcycles are dangerous, you shouldn't be riding it, you're going to kill yourself on that thing.
Do you think that assumption is valid and trying to "get along"?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I find the whole car tyre thing fascinating. Never even crossed my mind that you could fit one to a BB. If it works for you that's all there is to it.
Have a good weekend (y)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I didn't think it was possible on a XX neither, but as I said, I've been riding with car tire mounted on other motorcycles since 2013. I've ridden over 60k miles on one car tire and now 12K mi. on my second car tire. No accidents, no spills, not an issue; even caught a nail with car tire on the highway traveling at speed over 70 mph, I still rode it 10-12 miles before pulling over to a station to plug the car tire & fill up with air. Still rode another 15-16k miles before replacing the plugged tire. No, it's not recommended to anyone to do, it works for me and I keep riding.

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
The only thing I could see would be getting used to the transition as you rolled the tire over in a turn. It would also depend on the type of tire you mounted. Not all car tires are flat I've seen some that have I profile similar to a bike. Once you got used to how it felt then I'd be willing to bet you could still scoot it through a turn pretty darn good.
I'd think plugging a car tire even on a bike would be just fine. People plug them all the time and run them till the tire's done. I personally patch mine(bike tire) and then ride on it till it's done (even a front). I'd expect it to be even safer on the car tire because the load is spread across a lager area. On a bike because of the curve your foot print is more concentrated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here's a video comparing contact patch:

Some very valid points about disadvantages in the real world.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts