Honda CBR XX Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
Have to agree rollin given the situation it works very well if your slabbing a whole lot. Not to mention a wing has more than enough displacement to hall a trailer as well. If someone was going to iron butt a BB this may very well be the perfect ticket.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Prob would work great on the drag strip as well.
A nice fat contact patch.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
The longer I ride on this rear tire ...... the more I like it. I have adjusted to the slightly slower roll rate into a corner and it is feeling natural. Here are a few more pics. Notice the tire has a gentle curvature to the cross-section and large radius corners. I am gradually pushing this tire with more aggressive riding. I want to sneak up on the limits and so far rock solid in the corners. Took a rider with me today and the tire felt great ..... very quiet too. 175-8.JPG 175-7.JPG

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
This kind of thread is bound to generate strong opinions. All good so far. :thumb:

Despite thinking it's a bit nuts and I wouldn't do it for the liability reason I posted, I'd definitely like to know what happens. Did a half-hearted search for such threads on other forums and didn't find any, so it's obviously pretty unusual for the kind of bikes we ride.

Dennco, do you have a GoPro or something similar? I've seen YouTube videos of dark side installations where the camera points back to the wheel. Aside from making an interesting vid, it would help to see how the tyre's behaving when cornering.
No GoPro's but I have a fellow rider who will ride behind me on the twisties and give me a report. He is a very experienced rider/former racer ....... and I can trust his observations. I told him I would riding cautiously and if and when I am ready to give it a real test ...... give him a call and he will ride with me.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Have to agree rollin given the situation it works very well if your slabbing a whole lot. Not to mention a wing has more than enough displacement to hall a trailer as well. If someone was going to iron butt a BB this may very well be the perfect ticket.
Apparently quite a few Iron Butt Rally riders run them. When you're doing 11,000-ish miles in 11 days on a heavy bike like a Goldwing or FJR, not having to worry about your rear tire is probably a benefit.

·
Super Moderator
672 Posts
Did someone mention Iron Butt???

As far as I'm aware, there are no Iron Butt, or FarRiders in Australia that use car tyres on the rear. Doing Iron Butt rides on a Blackbird is a lot of fun. I know of at least 4 others that have done so, I've done 2, doing another in September..There are a couple of nutters here in Oz that have done coast to coast in less than 50hrs(50CC) & even 100CC on 150cc bikes.:hmm:

Now, as for fitting motorcar tyres to a motorcycle, firstly the bead of a car tyre will not seat correctly on a motorcycle wheel. A car wheel has a smooth transition from the outer edge to the centre of the wheel. A motorcycle wheel has a second lip on the rim, which captures the inside of the bead & which holds it in place & prevents any possibility of the tyre slipping off the rim at high lean angles/low pressure situations .
Also a car tyre has a wider bead that sits on top of the inside lip. Secondly, I personally don't think you'll be covered by insurance????

Cheers.......:huh:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Could have at least gotten a directional tyre.Cant say I would put one one my bike and we have lots of straight roads around here. I need to travel 1200 ks either north or south to get to a capital city,not that it happens much. If your doing hundreds of ks each week just to get to work then drive a car,if you like to go lean around corners then use bike tyres. Simple.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
I just got back from a fantastic 5 day 1,759 mile ride with my sport touring group ......... using my ATR-K rear tire. Average miles per day was about 350 ...... running on the twistiest motorcycle routes in Washington, Idaho and Oregon. After day one riding hard through the Diablo Dam switchbacks, my co-riders were shocked and amazed I could stay up with the lead pack. Our main topic of discussion every night at dinner was about my sports car rear tire. I could list all the roads we were on for local riders who want a challenge.

Not once did the rear tire slip even a millimeter in a turn. Riders behind me said the tire carcass was flexing slightly to provide a large contact patch equal to a standard motorcycle tire ...... which is about the square area of a credit card. I did a brief speed run of 125 mph coming into Enterprise, OR ........ and NO the tire beads did not blow off. The grueling pace of 5 days wore down the rear tires on the other riders and one had to stop in Baker City, OR to buy a new PR4 ( $290) ....... or he wouldn't make it back home. My ATR-K tire looked almost new at the end ...... and used up about .030".

I average about 5,000 miles per year and IF I can get 30,000 miles out of my rear tire ..... it will take me 6 years. :) Yes, I decided to test this tire as an economical alternative to buying overpriced MC tires that last only 3,000 the way I ride. The ATR-K cost me $62 delivered and I'm extremely happy with it. The other riders noted that I was not cornering quite as fast as usual ........ and that is true, but I was having a great time challenging myself on thousands of turns and the tire ALWAYS gave me reliable grip. Anyone in this group ever done Spiral Hwy in Idaho? I even did that road aggressively and the leader said ......... "seeing is believing". A sticky motorcycle tire is still better ........ but the ATR-K tire wasn't very far behind.

That's my report ....... I'm keeping it. I also have a new Metzeler Z8 on my other rim if I want go back to standard.

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
I just got back from a fantastic 5 day 1,759 mile ride with my sport touring group ......... using my ATR-K rear tire. Average miles per day was about 350 ...... running on the twistiest motorcycle routes in Washington, Idaho and Oregon. After day one riding hard through the Diablo Dam switchbacks, my co-riders were shocked and amazed I could stay up with the lead pack. Our main topic of discussion every night at dinner was about my sports car rear tire. I could list all the roads we were on for local riders who want a challenge.

Not once did the rear tire slip even a millimeter in a turn. Riders behind me said the tire carcass was flexing slightly to provide a large contact patch equal to a standard motorcycle tire ...... which is about the square area of a credit card. I did a brief speed run of 125 mph coming into Enterprise, OR ........ and NO the tire beads did not blow off. The grueling pace of 5 days wore out the rear tires on the other riders and one had to stop in Baker City, OR ....... or he wouldn't make it back home. My ATR-K tire looked almost new at the end ...... and used up about .030".

I average about 5,000 miles per year and IF I can get 30,000 miles out of my rear tire ..... it will take me 6 years. :) Yes, I decided to test this tire as an economical alternative to buying overpriced MC tires that last only 3,000 the way I ride. The ATR-K cost me $62 delivered and I'm extremely happy with it. The other riders noted that I was not cornering quite as fast as usual ........ and that is true, but I was having a great time challenging myself on thousands of turns and the tire ALWAYS gave me reliable grip. Anyone in this group ever done Spiral Hwy in Idaho? I even did that road aggressively and the leader said ......... "seeing is believing". A sticky motorcycle tire is still better ........ but the ATR-K tire wasn't very far behind.

That's my report ....... I'm keeping it. I also have a new Metzeler Z8 on my other rim if I want go back to standard.
Great news something to consider for long distance riders for sure thanks a bunch

·
phastasphuck
1,248 Posts
why the hell would you put a car tyre on a 180mph missile ? its a Sports tourer.................clue in the sports bit lol

I know quite a few over the pond fit them on FJRs, GTRs, Wings etc but they are more Tourer orientated

I'm sure the insurance companies in UK would love it if you put one on over hear...................they lose their friggin mind at double bubbles, n end cans

·
Registered
878 Posts
If I were only getting 5,000 out of a rear MC tire, I could see wanting something that lasts longer.

Personally, I consider myself a sportier sport tourer, not a sport rider, I keep a close eye on my tire pressures, and keep the rear at 42 psi, so I see healthier mileage from my tires. My current PR4 is showing minimal wear after 8,000 miles, and I should easily get another 6,000+ out of it. For me, that's more than enough.

·
The Gimp
124 Posts

Not once did the rear tire slip even a millimeter in a turn. Riders behind me said the tire carcass was flexing slightly to provide a large contact patch equal to a standard motorcycle tire ...... which is about the square area of a credit card. I did a brief speed run of 125 mph coming into Enterprise, OR ........ and NO the tire beads did not blow off. The grueling pace of 5 days wore down the rear tires on the other riders and one had to stop in Baker City, OR to buy a new PR4 ( $290) ....... or he wouldn't make it back home. My ATR-K tire looked almost new at the end ...... and used up about .030".

Impressive.

I've read dissenting opinions that stated Car tires have weaker sidewalls than MC tires due to being designed for different turning physics, and are therefore more likely (and some people claim very likely) to fail catastrophically whilst leaned over. That had me second guessing going "Dark Side" on a sport bike.

Seeing as my local roads are quite straight, I may give this a try once the PR4 wears out. The only problem is that speed rating...

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was intrigued about dennco2's testing of the Auto tire on the bird. As I don't ride as aggressively as I used to and my main riding is to and from work. 30,000 miles from a tire, pretty cool, considering I go thru 3 sets a year on my commute, getting anywhere between 7-10,000 miles per set. Remember, I'm not pushing the bike hard. So I started to read more and found this article which some of you might have already read from the "Darkside". The pics of the bead and rim difference stick in my mind so I'll do more research. Please check out the following link, lots of info here. www.goldwingfacts.com/.../400426-design-differences-between-car- motorcycle-rim-tire.html

clipped from Google - 8/2015

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Any update on the car tire usage with Blackbird?
I sold my XX last year and have changed my type of riding. I loved my XX but it was not a very good around town kind of bike. I am not doing any more multi-day rides for adrenaline fun and don't anticipate that will change. So I currently have 3 smaller bikes of lesser performance but good for putsing around at slower speeds on way shorter rides. My sports car tire experiment was a success and I could ride aggressively with it and stay with the lead group of a sport touring class of riders ... with the emphasis on sport. Shocked several nay-Sayers who didn't believe I would show up for a 5 day ride with such a tire. It performed beautifully and with minimal wear. I will say the roll rate to full left and right lean in the twisties was slower and therefore less enjoyable to ride with it. The tire was considerably heavier at 13 lbs if I remember correctly and you could feel a slight performance loss on the engine. The tire was the exact diameter of a 180 rear and with a bead width of 5.5" so there was no stretching the tire to fit. If you are not an aggressive rider in the corners and want a SUPER long lasting tire ... this tire might be for you. I will admit it looks kind of funny on a XX. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
For the last 3 years, I've put about 12k miles on my Burgman 650 with car tire mounted on the rear wheel.

It had worked out great, so great that I got myself a spare rear wheel for the XX and looking for a car tire to mount onto the XX.
Car tire seems to offer a better ride for two-up, with my wife on the back, more stable at highway speed and the durability over moto specific tire that cost 3x more than the car tire.
I even chose to use a snow/winter tire (more expensive) that have softer compound than regular touring car tire.

I could care less about looks, you can't see the tires while riding anyway.
Even with a 650 scoot, I could keep up with local riders no problem.
Looking forward to reduce the hassle of tire changes on the XX.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There, I put a car tire on the rear wheel of my XX:

Ridden about 150 miles, no ill effects, transition between upright and lean is different, other than that, bike feels solid as it did with moto specific rear tire.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts