Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have mounted an ATR-K Economist rear tire on my XX ...... so I can test the overall performance. It is a CAR tire rated at 149 mph and has beveled and rounded off corners. Having a spare rear wheel helps to facilitate this experiment. Yesterday I took it out and tested how the XX handles in the corners. Youtube videos show that the tires "flex" while leaned over so that a surprising amount of tire is contacting the road surface at all times. When I saw on the internet that a BMW touring rider had tried this tire and was still enthusiastic and almost no wear factor after 3,000 miles ...... I decided to get one.

I will test more today and incrementally increase the lean angles. I'm sure there is a limit (just like with a round tire) but I usually ride pretty aggressively and expect a lot from my tires. I'm tired of wearing out dual compound rear tires in 3,000 miles and problem solved IF this tire meets my handling expectations.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I know some GoldWing people do this, it's called going "dark side" never heard of it on a blackbird.

Deviant? Maybe but not dangerous.

·
I are the grammar police
3,362 Posts
Cruiser and sidecar guys too. Sportbikes/hypertourers? Hmmm.

But go on, post some pictures Dennco! Let's have a look at this darkside weirdness...

·
Throttle MODulator
2,735 Posts
What is this strange witchcraft you talk of? 30,000mi and you ride aggressively? We need to see pics of this mysteriousness.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know some GoldWing people do this, it's called going "dark side" never heard of it on a blackbird.

Deviant? Maybe but not dangerous.
Don't know who came up with that "dark side" quote but that has nothing to do with nothing pertaining to what I am doing. There are literally thousands of cruiser types who have tested this type of tire for years. I'm testing it for the XX .... and gaining confidence in it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
175-5.JPG Size is 175/55 Z17 ........ bead width is 5.5 inches and slides right on the XX rims. Tire diameter is 24.5 inches. The beveled and rounded corner helps when leaning into a corner and flattens out for good contact patch. Am I a true believer in this tire? Not yet. But I can't even wear off the small rubber tits across the tire surface.

·
I are the grammar police
3,362 Posts
Don't know who came up with that "dark side" quote but that has nothing to do with nothing pertaining to what I am doing. There are literally thousands of cruiser types who have tested this type of tire for years. I'm testing it for the XX .... and gaining confidence in it.
:huh: That's what the biking community that puts car tyres on bikes calls it... "dark side".

Tales From the Dark Side: Putting Car Tires on Motorcycles | Rider Magazine

[url]http://forums.delphiforums.com/DarkSiding/

[/URL]

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Michelin PR2 ....... Metzler Z8 ......... Pirelli Diablos ....... all about 3,000 miles
4 Avon 3d Ultra's,,,4000 miles for me.

Recon my Bro here and I are throttle happy.
Here in the states we can rip it a bit more often than were some of y'all live.
No puttering around here.
Just saying:D:cycle:
STex, out

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I have spent a lot of time reading up on the written articles, Youtube, etc. etc. Those that have actually tested for thousands of miles and posted up positive reports carry more weight than the "speculators". There are only 2 tires that fit the XX that I have found. My other rim has a nice round Metzeler on it and will probably be the tire I choose for my August 5 day ride ......... but who knows? Much more testing is needed ..... incrementally.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
4 Avon 3d Ultra's,,,4000 miles for me.

Recon my Bro here and I are throttle happy.
Here in the states we can rip it a bit more often than were some of y'all live.
No puttering around here.
Just saying:D:cycle:
STex, out
My multi-day rides are many times in the State of Oregon. The roads there are abrasive but with great traction. Almost always, someone in our group runs out of rear tire but started with good tread. Great open roads and twisties with little speed enforcement for hundreds of miles. The so-called 2 compound treaded tires are UNimpressive for longevity.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I knew of one person who used them on his vtx 1800 and it's because he put in a lot of miles. I also remember how heated this type of discussion got on the old Delphi magna forums.

I'd never do it but I don't rack up the miles. I'll be curious to hear what you think dennco2.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I could see the value if riding across the Nullabor Plain or from Adelaide to Darwin - places where the road was fairly straight.
Plus I must not be twisting mythrottle enough, the Bridgestone I have on the board right now has more than 5,000 miles (8,000kms) on it and I reckon I can squeeze out at least 1000 more ...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm very interested in this. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on how it performs in the corners. A long life tire that does decent in the turns would be very appealing to me.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts