Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont know why people keep saying that the BB is not a race bike.
as a lone range high speed bike it,s great.
not long ago i did the LA to Vegas run over 100 bikes
all going at it at 3am. the BB did great it was running
at red line for 48 mins and didn,t mis a beat.
most of the litter bikes had to stop for gas after baker
my BB just motored right on in to primm no problem.
This is a great bike..
few pic below will ..
hope you all are having this much fun.
Max sizemore

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Max,

It's almost always more about the rider than the bike. People who complain about the Bird are most likely the ones who want to add this that and the other to the bikes thinking that it will make them ride like Rossi or Marquez when they don't even know how to use what they have, to it's limits.

Not much different that the golfing world, and the marketers love it. :)

I do agree that the Bird has inadequate suspension for it's power and weight, but other than that it has no glaring flaws.

I've posted this a couple of times before, but here goes. See what people who are fearless outstanding riders can do on a buck standard Bird.

I haven't seen many people who are able to ride the Bird consistently on public roads to it's absolute limit. Top of the list for doing that were those nutters from Fast Bike magazine in 1999, when they did a comparison of the Bird, Busa, Kawasaki ZZR 1100 and R1 in 'Mach 2,Carnage From Calais to Cannes'. Amazingly, none of them got hurt during the filming nor did they write off the bikes. They are all still alive. Shane (Shakey) Byrne , Rob (Frosty) Frost, "Ollie" (Neil Pidduck?), and the biggest nutter of all, Jimarillo Miller. All went on to become successful racers. Amazing riders and lucky to have done it at a time when you could do it. Do that now and they chuck you in the slammer!

BTW, I recently read that a great deal of the speed cameras in France have been smashed by the public.
Vive la République !

I never get tired of watching these videos

Bird, Busa, Kawasaki ZZR 1100 and R1

Watch the Hayabusa battle it out against ZX-12R and Blackbird

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Let me put that in perspective,

Sports Bike, = Very Very Fast,
Sports Cruiser = Very Very Fast over great distances,

The Blackbird is in that class, Very Very Fast over huge distances,
But Because it has a long wheelbase, I have to slow down for 15 KPH hair pin bends, Other wise the exhaust scrapes,
The Peg Feelers disapeared years ago, Snapped off, hahahaha

In High Triple Digits, The Bird sits on the road like a Brick, No Float, No Weave, No Bounce, Nada, Just Missile Mode,
Its also very boring when the telegraph poles look like a picket fence over hundreds of miles,

Its when you hit the Twistys, All these super dooper straight line riders, Are suddenly reduced to very slow amatuers,

A fully Customised Suspension Upgrade on a Bike thats done 20,000 kays is not going to improve your riding if you cant ride the bike to start with,

·
Registered
276 Posts
A fully Customised Suspension Upgrade on a Bike thats done 20,000 kays is not going to improve your riding if you cant ride the bike to start with,
DARN! And here I thought that all I had to do was spend XXX $$$ on upgraded suspension, slipper clutch, quickshifter, racing tires (Did I miss anything?), paint the bike in either Rossi or Marquez's 'Go faster' colours, get identical clothing (very important!), and I could tell them to move over!

Now you are telling me it ain't going to happen? :eek::eek::eek::cry::cry::cry:

My Bird was already fully farkled by the previous owner who kept her for 18 years, so I have no way of comparing the OEM supension to the Penske and Traxxion that is on there, but I can say that I was blown away by how rock steady the Bird is when I rode her home from 300km away. Pretty sure it would have been exactly the same when the Bird was new with OEM.

I learnt to ride on a used '69 Honda CB350 with seriously wonky rear shocks that bottomed out with hard cornering and the crappy bias ply tires did not help either. I still scraped the footpegs at every opportunity once my skill was adequate and had a big grin on my face. Moving up to a '73 CB750 was like being given a racing bike, and that CB750 is a joke compared to bikes of the last 30 years. Yet we learned how to ride hard and fast on those bikes without any mods and with crap tires compared to today. Did we whine about suspension and tires? NEVER! We were just happy to be on two wheels with the wind in our face and a nice motor underneath us.
When I see people whining about the inadequacies of their modern bikes I just shake my head. They need to take a few rides on the bikes that us "oldies' grew up with. We made do with what we had.
There are no bad bikes since the late nineties. Just 'whiney' attitudes.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
DARN! And here I thought that all I had to do was spend XXX $$$ on upgraded suspension, slipper clutch, quickshifter, racing tires (Did I miss anything?), paint the bike in either Rossi or Marquez's 'Go faster' colours, get identical clothing (very important!), and I could tell them to move over!

Now you are telling me it ain't going to happen? :eek::eek::eek::cry::cry::cry:

My Bird was already fully farkled by the previous owner who kept her for 18 years, so I have no way of comparing the OEM supension to the Penske and Traxxion that is on there, but I can say that I was blown away by how rock steady the Bird is when I rode her home from 300km away. Pretty sure it would have been exactly the same when the Bird was new with OEM.

I learnt to ride on a used '69 Honda CB350 with seriously wonky rear shocks that bottomed out with hard cornering and the crappy bias ply tires did not help either. I still scraped the footpegs at every opportunity once my skill was adequate and had a big grin on my face. Moving up to a '73 CB750 was like being given a racing bike, and that CB750 is a joke compared to bikes of the last 30 years. Yet we learned how to ride hard and fast on those bikes without any mods and with crap tires compared to today. Did we whine about suspension and tires? NEVER! We were just happy to be on two wheels with the wind in our face and a nice motor underneath us.
When I see people whining about the inadequacies of their modern bikes I just shake my head. They need to take a few rides on the bikes that us "oldies' grew up with. We made do with what we had.
There are no bad bikes since the late nineties. Just 'whiney' attitudes.
I feal upset now, The Farkles wont improve your riding, Only lots of miles under you will do that,
The Tyres back then, Hahahahaha Round Black Thingys, Avons was about the best,
But they didnt stick to the roads like my Z8's do now.
I dont think any one mentioned suspension back then, Keeping the motors going was more important,
My mates rode some incredible machines, Bits and pieces chucked together, Norvins, Tritons, Tribsa, Etc Etc,
One mate had a 3/4 race 64 Bonnie held together with fencing wire, He lost the whole Primary case and couldnt see what was missing untill another mate rode up with it in his hand,
He said he knew something fell off it, But didnt know what, hahahaha It was a piece of shit, But it went like hell, But no one cared, We were having fun,
Another mate had a BMW R100 I think it was, Every bearing in that bike was shot, Head stem you could rock it backwards and forwards, Hahahaha
Some didnt have brakes that worked, My Bonnie, I used to put it into second gear and drop the clutch to stop, Hahaha
Nothing beat riding down the road in a big mob of about 100 bike loads, Mostly two up, We took our women with us,
We rode in a big mob, None of this single file crap, 5 abreast, thats all the road would fit,
And yes, We could all ride, Learners stayed at the back, With the Occasional WLA Harley,
We didnt have Harleys back then, We still Dont,

I started out riding a 500 CC AJS Speedway Solo Racing machine at 15,
It was flat stick or go home, I could ride my BIL A Grade Racing machine better than he could, Hahahaha It pissed him off as well, Hahahaha
There was only one rule, Dont hit the fence, That meant broken bones or fatal, Ouch, big time,
He and his mates were all A Grade racers,
A clutch made it go, and it had no brakes, Two wheels and a Motor, That was Extreme FUN, I Loved it,
I didnt continue as a new JAP motor was 500 quid, Bit much for an Apprentice, But it taught me how to fall off a Bike,
So now you know why gravel rash dont bother me,

My first road bike was a Honda 305 Super Sport, Second hand,
I put 600 miles on it the first night and never went out of the suburbs,
It caught fire and that was the end of that one, It was a great bike to learn on, It was very flicky, I could chuck it all over the place, Easily,
Then I bought my Brand New 1968 650 Bonnieville which I rode for 17 years, Ending up fully chopped except for the rear, Bobbers dont handle the roads, I do like good handling,
My knowledge of building racing motors, Came from my BIL who was a Mechanic building racing motors,
Mainly JAPs and JAWA Speedway motors, 3 years learning and watching him put racing motors together, I put into my Bonnie, It could blow off the 750 Honda Fours when they first came out, Honda 750 Fours suspension was a rubber band back then, Hahahaha, Early 70's, I could ride them too,
Another mate had one, He said some thing was wrong with it, Get Brian to take it for a ride, Snicker Snicker, So I got him on the back of his 750 Four and off we went, I had him screaming in fear, Hahahaha Idiot just couldnt ride it, Every one was rolling around the floor laughing, Then he scorched off all upset and near stacked it, That was Hilarious,

108,000 Kays on my 05 Blue Bird, I put new seals and slides in the forks, Other than that, Its still stock,
68,000 kays are mine, I bought it with 40,000 kays on the clock,
My suspension does every thing I want it too at all the speeds I get too, It doesnt bottom out or do strange things,
It handles the Twistys with solid footing, A few ride faster than me, But who cares, I dont,
These are a few of the roads I ride on, Mostly Tite Mountain Twistys,
My Friend with the very bad Breath, Hahahaha
And the Orange one is my Bonnie in action, 1973, Yep, Im an Old Fart, Hahahaha
Plant Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Plant Tree Natural landscape Asphalt Terrestrial plant
Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Plant
Vehicle Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire

Reactions: rollie

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
There is a saying, All the Gear and No Bloody Idea, hahahaha
But they do look Pretty in all their matching gear, Hahahahaha

·
Registered
276 Posts
Honda 305 Super Sport
That's the bike that made me know that I had to ride a motorcycle.

I must have been around 7 years old and my Dad's friend's son rode in on it when we were visiting.

So now you know why gravel rash dont bother me,
Where I grew up if you didn't always have a scab or two on your knees or elbows you were a wimp!
We were always playing outdoors unlike kids today.

Another mate had one, He said some thing was wrong with it, Get Brian to take it for a ride, Snicker Snicker, So I got him on the back of his 750 Four and off we went, I had him screaming in fear, Hahahaha Idiot just couldnt ride it,
A mate of mine bought a brand new 1981 CB900. A couple of months later he is cursing the bike, saying it doesn't run well. I take it away and Yep, it is misfiring and no power. Took it to a long road where we knew we could ride fast safely at certain times and gave it the 'Italian Tune up' . Pinned it at 240kph for a while. She was running like a baby when I gave it back to him. He probably never revved it past 3 or 4 thousand so it was chock full of carbon with barely 5 thousand Km on the clock.

Avons and Metzeler were good back then, but not available where I lived so I had to make do with whatever the dealer had.

Now there is too much choice with everything!

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
You know your Old when the memories your talking about are nearly 60 years ago, Hahahaha, Im Old, Not Slow, Hahahaha
That 305 Super Sport could actually crack the Ton, Just, It was a great little machine, I loved it,

But I was Addicted with my AJS, Crank it open and keep it there, I hated the 1/4 mile track tho, Round in circles, Duhhhhh,
Same as road Racing, round and round a stupid track,

Tite Mountain roads in the high country, Hundreds of miles of tank slapping Extreme Fun, Hahahahaha, Going like a cut cat, Whats around the next corner, Sand or gravel across the road, Tree across the road, Bark and branches every where, Timber Jinker all over the road,, Thank God Im only two feet wide, Animals every where, Torrential Rain, Cant see jack shit, Go over the edge, its 200 feet straight down, They will never find you down there unless they actually see you go over,
One bloke, Hikers found him 3 years later, Another one took 2 days to find him and they knew where he went over, Dead,

45 + Celcius heat, Minus 8 celcius in a snow Blizzard, That was fun, Hahahaha, NOT, I near froze to death, And every thing in between, Many a time I slid my hands off the bars as they would not open, Frozen shut,
Most of my old mates were cripples, Broken bones and bodies, They still rode if they could, We were Misfits, OMCG,
But we were staunch, Family, Stuck together like Glue, We Rode in big mobs to keep the man off our backs,
Rode many a bike home that was buckled and bent, They rode mine, Cant leave it on the side of the road, It would get stolen,
Get injured, If you didnt get carted off in the meat wagon to hospital or dead, Suck it up Princess, Put a band aid on it and stop whinging, You wont feel it with a few more beers in ya, Hahaha

These days, They are bloody whooses, ATGATT, Hahahaha,
My Early days for years, Open face Helmet, No glasses, No gloves, Leather Jacket for the cold and T shirt and jeans and Flying Boots, The ones with the wool inside, Pilots had them,
What is this wet weather gear, It wasnt invented,
I know have an open face with a drop down Visa, and a set of plastic wet weather gear, Glued seams, Hahahaha and Minus 30 Celcius Ski Gloves, Yep, Im getting Old and need a bit of comfort,

My Bird is the only Bike I have ever ridden that can keep up with me, If you know what I mean,
It brings out the Crazy in me, I wouldnt be dead for quids, Hahahahaha

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Im bloody old and proud of it, Hahahahaha
I still dont know how I got to this age, As I was going to be dead before the end of the day when I was 18,
Lots of people didnt make it this far, Ive buried heaps, Excellent riders as well,

·
Registered
276 Posts
My Bird is the only Bike I have ever ridden that can keep up with me, If you know what I mean,
It brings out the Crazy in me, I wouldnt be dead for quids, Hahahahaha
Life ain't worth living if you don't do the things that make you feel alive! Keep on Boppin, Brian! A few grey hairs, but you sure don't look old.

To OP. Sorry that we kinda hijacked your thread. Hope you don't mind. That's the nature of a social forum

1 - 15 of 15 Posts