Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang. Yep checked the threads. Just picked up my new, (To me.) 2006 Super bb.
I am to worn out for this bike! Looking to lower the pegs and raise the bars.
However, i have a feeling that the bars have been done. I cannot find a picture of the stock bars to look at.
So can you folks look at my pick and tell me? It is still to low for me and to forward but there seems to be no real freedom of movement for the cables, wire etc, so i think its already done. plus they rattle / move slightly when i touch them.
I last rode on of these in 1997 and wanted one so bad. I now have one and getting my old legs to allow my feet to get on the pegs is awful, 59 y/o and falling apart.
Spider. Sydney Australia.
Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design
Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yes, they have been done. Sounds like you need to tighten them up if they rattle and move. If the previous owner couldn't fit those properly, I would be going over the whole bike checking for correctly tightened and fitted components.

Just had this discussion with another member on here who has just sold his 'bird as he just doesn't fit it anymore. It sounds like you have bought the wrong bike for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, they have been done. Sounds like you need to tighten them up if they rattle and move. If the previous owner couldn't fit those properly, I would be going over the whole bike checking for correctly tightened and fitted components.

Just had this discussion with another member on here who has just sold his 'bird as he just doesn't fit it anymore. It sounds like you have bought the wrong bike for you.
Yeah probably did, but i do love them. Probably end up selling it but i will keep trying. Awesome bike. was a trade in and has owners log book from new and tool kit! Thanks for the reply.
Spider
Sydney Australia.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
JAWS lowering kit. it only drops the pegs 1 inch but may as well be a metre. Such a difference! It changes the hip angle enough to no longer hurt. Search Google or ebay. Its actually the complement to the jaws risers you already have. Just check you don't already have them before you order!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I fitted vario 50mm low peg kit, I know some people mite think there to low, but I have not ground them out yet, I've also got the jaws flat bar kit, and raised my seat by 20mm with a gel pad, makes my bird really easy to ride now.

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,680 Posts
I ended up with apex risers and lowered pegs. That has extended my time on it but there will be a point where weight and ergos and ease of working on it make me call quits. Meanwhile a bikini lower fairings and hel brakeline upgrade keep it workable.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Do these put your feet out wider like the jaws pegs do? The jaws pegs were the most uncomfortable thing I did to the bike! I rode 300 miles with them and the pain they caused in my hips was horrible. I took them off for the way home.
erm never had the jaws pegs my self, the vario ones are about what OEM spacing is sticking out, if you get them you would have to lower the brake pedel as low as it will go, and even then you mite have to actully take your foot of push down on the brake, your gear change pedal should be fine like mine, i will take some pictures tomorrow, so you can decide if its worth you getting them.
putting a gel pad in my seat to higher it another 20mm also helps, i am 6ft4, disabled from RTA in 2004, head on in northwales, had extensive right leg reconstruction, so i know what you mite be feeling lol, another one was to use a leather tank cover, helps cut down on vibs in your knees, and also helps with the cold fresh fuel on winter days killing your knees.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Do these put your feet out wider like the jaws pegs do? The jaws pegs were the most uncomfortable thing I did to the bike! I rode 300 miles with them and the pain they caused in my hips was horrible. I took them off for the way home.
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Hood Bicycle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle part Vehicle brake Rim
Tire Bicycle Wheel Crankset Bicycle frame
Shoe Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Line
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire

·
Registered
94 Posts
My bird never came with the oem pegs, but from what i can figure out, the vario pegs are about normal stick out, the 20mm gel pad i put in the seat did make a differance and gave a little bit more leg room, i have restrictive bend from my RTA and operations, if i can answer any questions, just ask.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,369 Posts
I was 50 when I bought the Bird. I'm 6'3" and have a 34" inseam. I had a hard time getting my legs on the pegs. Members told me to just ride it for a year without any major mods so I learned the bike. I was all ready to go out and buy a peg lowering kit. It had Helibar risers and I like them. 7 yrs later I still haven't gotten the lowering kit for pegs. Somehow my body adapted to the bike! I take off on long trips now too... 4 to 6,000 mile trips. Just did back to back 750 mile days.
It will help if you start stretching... especially your hip flexors.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
The downside is that the 50mm vario pegs are £120! A lot to spend if they don't suit.
yep the ££££ never stops when you need to try and make things fit you. if you already have the jaws ones then the only thing i could surgest is increase your seat hight. its going to be a tough one for you.and like XXGUY surgested the free option is to exercise your hips if you can.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I sold the jaws ones, horrible things. As for exercising the hips, I work in forestry and am constantly up and down steep west country hillsides carrying chainsaws, fuel cans and forestry kit! More exercise is the last thing I need 🤣
I can ride 5 hours plus and don't suffer knee or hip pain. It's just the scrunched up position puts all the pressure on my bum. I have accepted I have the wrong bike for me and will change when funds allow.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Woodwiz,

It's just the scrunched up position puts all the pressure on my bum.
the only thing i could surgest is increase your seat hight
I converted to a Top Sellerie gel seat which raised me by a couple of cm (plus I went jaws pegs too… may now consider Vario option as they look lower).

Top Sellerie also do "raised" versions with/without gel. I don't know how much extra rise that gives (or whether you state what you want) though I've never had a numb bum since using my gel'd one (inc London to Aberdeen weekend round trip approx 1,100 miles).

If I'm ever passing a West Country forestry block you'd be welcome to sit on it if you've not tried gel before (very comfy).

Seems they're currently offering 10% off and free gel in Oct.

Font Gadget Electronic device Audio equipment Screenshot

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
My feet already drag on corners, So lowering the pegs is out for me,
But I do have a very comfy upright sitting position,,

Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive tire
Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive tire
Photograph Vehicle Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
474 Posts
Cheers all,

Another option could be a handlebar conversion kit.... like these on the webike Japan site (there are others). They typically raise the bars 50mm and set them back 40mm toward the rider so it should be quite comfy and not so lean forward as the stock clipon's on what looks like 1" risers.

That mod plus a seat repad (or peg lowering kit..... but your boots might scrape on gentle leans) might be all you need. Some fit taller or double bubble screens, but the airflow from the stock screen is probably quieter.

·
Administrator
9,369 Posts
The advantage to all of the standard bar conversion kits is there is a huge number of bar combinations out there. Offroad bars are so numerous it's not even funny. Here's a small selection just from J&P

1 - 20 of 20 Posts