Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode to Belgium from England last week, to buy some things that were cheaper over there. It was approx. a 200 mile round trip done in about 3-4 hours.

20 miles from home, I'm getting a bit tired and my hip starts hurting a bit from too many miles in one go (shattered pelvis/hip/leg if you didn't know!), so I pull over on the motorway. Put the side stand down as I have done for 18 years...but then my boot catches it as I'm leaning it over. Next minute the poor 'bird is on its side :( I pick it up (while ranting of course!) and this is the damage :( Had to fall on the kerbstone didn't it...mind you, it could have fallen flat and lightly scratched the whole panel...a lose / lose situation.

IMG-20130605-00848.jpg IMG-20130605-00849.jpg

I was so gutted....this is the first bike I've EVER bought, that didn't have scratches/cracks/bits missing, and now it does. So far I'm hoping that a colour matched touchup pen followed by T-cut will do the job. Because the bikes I've owned in the past were just heaps, I never really did them up, just rode them instead. If anyone's got better ideas, please let me know!

What makes matters worse is that I got some free R&G crash bungs because my crash was printed in Superbike Magazine (scan below)...and I've been thinking for months to put them on....bollocks!

Cheers!

2010-October-superbike.JPG

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I know fatigue is not our friend when riding longer distances. Especially when older and with old war wounds. I know b/c I have to stop every couple of hours or less. Good Luck.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, at least the moped didn't fall on top of me and I sort of 'leapt' out the way!

I'm thinking it could be the corbin seat...saying that I had an MRI and the results are that I have a cracked bit of bone on the end of my ball joint, and that's causing the occasional pain. There's a few local 'bird owners, I might ask them if I can borrow their standard seat, cos it's higher and might be better for me. Hope that doesn't start another seat related hijack! :rotfl:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear that. I know fatigue is not our friend when riding longer distances. Especially when older and with old war wounds. I know b/c I have to stop every couple of hours or less. Good Luck.
Thanks CB...yeah, getting older is a pain, but at least we get wiser (in theory!)

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Welcome to the 1 kph or less drop group... It has ALOT of members.

Glad your ok.... More pride damaged than anything from the looks

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Don't beat yourself up too bad. I don't know any long term riders that haven't dropped their bike somewhere along the line. Welcome to the club.

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
Ahh, the dreaded side stand drop. I made sure to get that one out of the way early on (first ride, in fact) and in front of dozens of onlookers. I've never been so proud of myself. :(

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the 1 kph or less drop group... It has ALOT of members.

Glad your ok.... More pride damaged than anything from the looks
:thumb: Happy to come aboard, Cheers matey, yeah damaging pride is better than breaking bones...again :eek:

Don't beat yourself up too bad. I don't know any long term riders that haven't dropped their bike somewhere along the line. Welcome to the club.
That's reassuring, cheers rollie :thumb:
Ahh, the dreaded side stand drop. I made sure to get that one out of the way early on (first ride, in fact) and in front of dozens of onlookers. I've never been so proud of myself. :(
Wish I had got it out the way early too, although perhaps not in front of fellow humans....god!

The only time I did a stupid thing was about 16 years ago...forgot the disc lock on a new(er) bike and tried to accelerate away. Didn't quite go to plan!

·
Registered
137 Posts
The zero speed drop, been there done that (twice - don't ask :O). At least you're ok which is more than can be said for you after the scanned accident. Never mind what the copper said, you were very lucky you weren't killed.

I'm interested to know the police' logic;

The car was heading towards you on the wrong side of the road on the approach to, for him, a right-hand bend so restricting his vision around it (this is the UK folks). Yet the police describe it as "just very, very bad luck" and apportion blame 50:50; ie. you were equally to fault.

Am I missing something here?

Apart from " It was a resident pulling into their drive".

·
Super Moderator
12,696 Posts
been there, got the scuffs on daily bird - sidestand against the kerb for me!

There's a few local 'bird owners, I might ask them if I can borrow their standard seat, cos it's higher and might be better for me
if you don't succeed I've got a couple of std seats in my attic. I found these gave me issues (I've blown 3 of the bottom 4 discs in my back) I ended up with a Melboy gel which has given me sterling service (60K +).

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like you and me both mate are in need of touching up the bikes. I found this place I think I may order called RS Motorbike Paints. Quick reply to my query and even rang me back, too.

RS Motorbike Paint Online Store
Poor chap! That seems like an awesome site, and probably the most useful this month, thanks mate :thumb:
The zero speed drop, been there done that (twice - don't ask :O). At least you're ok which is more than can be said for you after the scanned accident. Never mind what the copper said, you were very lucky you weren't killed.

I'm interested to know the police' logic;

The car was heading towards you on the wrong side of the road on the approach to, for him, a right-hand bend so restricting his vision around it (this is the UK folks). Yet the police describe it as "just very, very bad luck" and apportion blame 50:50; ie. you were equally to fault.

Am I missing something here?

Apart from " It was a resident pulling into their drive".
I am tempted to ask how you had your zero speed drops now?!?!?! Yeah, you've got a fair point there, being killed would have been annoying, mainly because I had gained the position of paying off the credit cards and loans at last! :)

Yes indeed, the police don't like to get involved with insurance jobbies these days, so that's their default response (the training is very good isn't it). You could probably be sitting in a parked car and get hit, and they'd still say the same. I'm just glad they didn't ask me for a breath test, I hadn't been drinking at all, but breathing/staying conscious, was becoming a bit of an issue for me!

been there, got the scuffs on daily bird - sidestand against the kerb for me!

if you don't succeed I've got a couple of std seats in my attic. I found these gave me issues (I've blown 3 of the bottom 4 discs in my back) I ended up with a Melboy gel which has given me sterling service (60K +).
You too eh duck, it ain't fair! Cheers for seat offer matey, I'll see how I get on. I do remember you being included in my original thread about it, so glad you found a seat that did the job, and for so long too!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am tempted to ask how you had your zero speed drops now?!?!?!

1. There's a reason I HATE low speed, feet up manouvers.

2. Even with a 34" inside leg, the ground can be so far away you miss it totally.

Yeah, you've got a fair point there, being killed would have been annoying
:rotfl: :clap:

There is something very British about black humour. Not (ex-) military, or similar, are you?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
hey chris,dont feel to bad,ha ha ive been on bikes for 45yrs and and still stuff up,the bike is bruised , but the bike is saying chris, big deal fix me up later bro,just bloody ride me and put my lippy on later,ha ha we all need a kick in the arse now and then,and a bruised ego is the best place that gets us,who cares,your riding bro not in a wheel chair.life is grand ,hey guys sometimes we just stuff up doing what ever it is we are doing.if we f----ck up who cares,cheers kev

·
just do it
5,669 Posts
Mee too Chris,was pushing the xx in to the home garage,and did not fully kick out the stand,while i slowly lent her over a bit, thinking
the stand was fully extracted,wow the dead weight surprised me and pinned me up against the
garage wall,i could have been killed or murdered by my own bike,managed to to get her upright with only a cracked mirror lens.and a sore arse and back.
and dont tell anyone not even Commie Kev.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I rode to Belgium from England last week, to buy some things that were cheaper over there. It was approx. a 200 mile round trip done in about 3-4 hours.

20 miles from home, I'm getting a bit tired and my hip starts hurting a bit from too many miles in one go (shattered pelvis/hip/leg if you didn't know!), so I pull over on the motorway. Put the side stand down as I have done for 18 years...but then my boot catches it as I'm leaning it over. Next minute the poor 'bird is on its side :( I pick it up (while ranting of course!) and this is the damage :( Had to fall on the kerbstone didn't it...mind you, it could have fallen flat and lightly scratched the whole panel...a lose / lose situation.

View attachment 41888 View attachment 41889

I was so gutted....this is the first bike I've EVER bought, that didn't have scratches/cracks/bits missing, and now it does. So far I'm hoping that a colour matched touchup pen followed by T-cut will do the job. Because the bikes I've owned in the past were just heaps, I never really did them up, just rode them instead. If anyone's got better ideas, please let me know!

What makes matters worse is that I got some free R&G crash bungs because my crash was printed in Superbike Magazine (scan below)...and I've been thinking for months to put them on....bollocks!

Cheers!

View attachment 41890
This is the one ooops that you spend the rest of your life regretting.....good luck with the sand and paint job mate!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I don't like the way the side stand engages the stop and would rather something with a more positive engagement. Center stand for me as I know I will stuff up sooner or later

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,572 Posts
one thing i have learnt is every new vehicle you buy, does get a scratch or ding. Now you have it. My new car got a ding in it from me chopping wood 20feet away and a stray log end......well you know...Hate the feeling, but then I knew it had happened, as it was bound to.
sort of fateful isn't it? get bb better soon.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts