Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day, for some Good Evening, I call myself "The Caveman Engineer" reason being I just believe you can do anything you put your mind to and be anyone you want to be. Now that sound a bit weird I know, what I mean is, I can be a spray painter for a day or a mechanical engineer the next. Now we all know custom parts off-the-shelf is like searching for chicken teeth, and the custom parts that are available is universal. when ever someone tell me I can't get something for my bike or do something to it or I cant find a specific part or it does not exist, my words to them is always "I will build it and I will only use a half brick and a 10" nail. It will look the same, function the same and will look factory OEM, it just wasn't made the same." my other slogan is (and with this I always refer to those weird guys that rides the busses) "I don't Accessorise, I customise", Anyway back to me, I'm from Cape Town, South Africa. my first BB is a 2002 Fi Candy Red. Now I am no Real engineer or have the knowledge, I don't have to go spend years of my life studying these things if I'm only going to use it one day to be able to build something. so I enrolled for short courses at UGC (the University of Google Chrome) and my Facilitator / Instructor / Proffessor is Dr. Y T Ube.

So most of my threads will be about my Fi as I am building a full custom show bike. Now some might like what I do and many Die Heart brand Nazi's will not and I become even more innovative with criticism and welcome it. here is another thing, I know nothing about Blackbirds and info out there is few on "how to".

So when I started this build, it was as a hobby and I wanted to build an Show piece Blackbird but not for shows, for self appreciation but then something happened and lets just say "challenge accepted". That is when a Hobby became an obsession which is now an addiction. This was my vision when I started, I'm going to do to this BB what no one has ever done, will do or have the "BALLS" to do. I was told not to do it cause I'm gonna look like a clown. Ladies & Squires, Pennywise was born....I introduce to you "Pennywise CBR 1100 UNIQUE BLACKBIRD -

·
Registered
364 Posts
Good Day, for some Good Evening, I call myself "The Caveman Engineer" reason being I just believe you can do anything you put your mind to and be anyone you want to be. Now that sound a bit weird I know, what I mean is, I can be a spray painter for a day or a mechanical engineer the next. Now we all know custom parts off-the-shelf is like searching for chicken teeth, and the custom parts that are available is universal. when ever someone tell me I can't get something for my bike or do something to it or I cant find a specific part or it does not exist, my words to them is always "I will build it and I will only use a half brick and a 10" nail. It will look the same, function the same and will look factory OEM, it just wasn't made the same." my other slogan is (and with this I always refer to those weird guys that rides the busses) "I don't Accessorise, I customise", Anyway back to me, I'm from Cape Town, South Africa. my first BB is a 2002 Fi Candy Red. Now I am no Real engineer or have the knowledge, I don't have to go spend years of my life studying these things if I'm only going to use it one day to be able to build something. so I enrolled for short courses at UGC (the University of Google Chrome) and my Facilitator / Instructor / Proffessor is Dr. Y T Ube.

So most of my threads will be about my Fi as I am building a full custom show bike. Now some might like what I do and many Die Heart brand Nazi's will not and I become even more innovative with criticism and welcome it. here is another thing, I know nothing about Blackbirds and info out there is few on "how to".

So when I started this build, it was as a hobby and I wanted to build an Show piece Blackbird but not for shows, for self appreciation but then something happened and lets just say "challenge accepted". That is when a Hobby became an obsession which is now an addiction. This was my vision when I started, I'm going to do to this BB what no one has ever done, will do or have the "BALLS" to do. I was told not to do it cause I'm gonna look like a clown. Ladies & Squires, Pennywise was born....I introduce to you "Pennywise CBR 1100 UNIQUE BLACKBIRD -
Well... Now THAT is customizing! Wow! Lololol VERY VERY NOICE JOB! Bravo!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I have read in this forum to date, that compliment coming from you is received and held with the highest honour, Thank you...I have to say this though, everything you see in that video, is what I was comfortable sharing with the trolls out there searching the inter web for clues as to what my bike look like and I have since done way more and plenty that is not shown on the video cause it never existed until I built it. Most is mods and custom fabrications that I thought of at 4:30 in the morning laying on a cold floor between two bikes in a space of about a half meter trying to install or remove something off one of the bike. And I believe when I build something it must be from parts laying around in my Garage.

·
Registered
364 Posts
From what I have read in this forum to date, that compliment coming from you is received and held with the highest honour, Thank you...I have to say this though, everything you see in that video, is what I was comfortable sharing with the trolls out there searching the inter web for clues as to what my bike look like and I have since done way more and plenty that is not shown on the video cause it never existed until I built it. Most is mods and custom fabrications that I thought of at 4:30 in the morning laying on a cold floor between two bikes in a space of about a half meter trying to install or remove something off one of the bike. And I believe when I build something it must be from parts laying around in my Garage.
👍 If I may ask... Who are these "trolls?" Yur "Safe" here! AND if you really want to tighten things up with your account you can change the "Allow users to..." you will find 9 options. For each one you have the choice to set it at: All visitors/Members only/People you follow and Nobody. However there is a downside depending on yur point of view. Choosing for example "People you follow", you'd have a very very small select group of people you could share with as opposed to going "Members only". Just sayin!

Now... When can ya show us more pics? 🙂

·
Registered
776 Posts
PennyW,

Welcome and there quite some creative juices you got going there!

+1 re Lovin's comments and curiosity re more more more pics :p

Rgds Mallow1

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks guys! We all bring something interesting to the table! And it's great because we can share ideas, experiences, compare notes etc... To better our collective BIrds to our personal liking.

Okay PW! Here's one for ya! Unless of course you already considered it... Remote start! Now I know some die hards don't like the idea of starting yur bike from a distance! Got it! BUT You may already have an actual physical lock on the bike/alrm system or just the fact that yur handle bars are locked . No one is going to "run off" with your bike! So... Say yur 40/30 feet away you remote start your bike and watch it fire up AND RISE up and down as if to say "Hello!" Then settle. Just an idea! Unless like I said, U already thought of it. AND that in my books would NOT be clownish! Or tacky! But stylish! JMHO!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW....just from all the positive feedback from you guys make me feel super excited to share all my ideas. yes @lovinmycbr1000f I think there is very little I have not yet thought about doing that make this bike Unique. regarding the trolls, there is very little custom bikes where I live and there is one that wear the status as the custom king in Cape Town and win all concourses...this was a good friend of mine...when I asked him to paint my bike cause I want to customise it a little, people spoke the idea into his head that I am coming after his crown and mid point he decided he do not want to continue with the painting. they then tried to discredit me on Social Media saying all my ideas was stolen off his bike to which I stayed silent. it was then posted that if I think I can take the Custom King down from his thrown, I am most welcome to try and I will just look like a Clown doing it. so I decided to call my bike Pennywise the Dancing Clown, and this is the theme it is built on. And the name Pennywise is conflictive as i try to build a masterpiece on a low budget with what I have to keep cost low...but if there is something I really want, I don't ask how much, just send, here is my bank account number, left arm and right side testicle. Get where I'm going with this...that is when I took all my progress pics down and went dark on the progress. cause people know of this bike but no one know what I am doing...

However, they never thought I would succeed in getting the bird on air as you do not get airride for bikes in SA. Only on those Harry Davison tractors that is factory...I wanted to claim the title of the First Air ride on a "Street Bike" in SA and that is why I made the video and posted it with a few other things done.

here is some post to look forward to...
see through front sprocket cover with LED and hidden XX logo.
custom fairing
custom tail light to mimic the afterburner of a jet engine
some mods done to the Avatar bike called "The Black Bike"
one of my greatest mods that I never thought I would get right without professional help,
Single Swingarm conversion (which is as easy as making a PB&J sandwich).
Currently settling for a 200 rear tyre but if provoked going with initial plan of 300 rear tyre.
oh, did I mention that it ended up with me needing that professional help after all,
it is with engineers now, having it stretched 4" / 100mm.
I just love the look of a stretched bird. not too much though.

·
Registered
776 Posts
PennyW,

I'm playing with ideas for power folding mirrors (car electric geared motors (current prototyping), hydraulics, pneumatics, manual cables etc) so I'm interested in your air system's potential re ability to action ancillaries too.

If you've considered/ tried single swingarm. Any thought re potential for centrehub steering? ABS?

Rgds Mallow1

·
Super Moderator
8,903 Posts
Sorry to hear about the paint fiasco. I understand the competitive atmosphere. But there is a second edge to that sword. They art and skill gets lost. Used to be that way here in the states. But the mentality has changed some thankfully. The masters are learning that teaching others keeps the craft alive. So yes its competitive but share your knowledge and you'll gain so much more. And you'll find yourself learning as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Power folding mirrors...not a bad idea...not for me though as I must be the only one that own a BB that replace the mirrors, why...? I don't really know...its just different, but I like your concept. Because my previous swingers is extended there was space to mount an air tank, that is if you go with pneumatic. Another spot is where I will be mounting my Auxiliary tanks (still considering if it will be Nitrous tanks). solenoids can be mounted anywhere and the pump under the seat when you mod the tool compartment into a box (which is rather easy).

IMG_20210307_011442-1.jpg IMG_20210307_011919-1.jpg IMG_20210307_011931.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry to hear about the paint fiasco. I understand the competitive atmosphere. But there is a second edge to that sword. They art and skill gets lost. Used to be that way here in the states. But the mentality has changed some thankfully. The masters are learning that teaching others keeps the craft alive. So yes its competitive but share your knowledge and you'll gain so much more. And you'll find yourself learning as well.
I agree, I have been approached or PM'd by a gentleman in Ireland as well as the UK to customise their clock casing the same as mine on the Fi. they will pay shipping to and from SA when done...I declined, but I did offer to shown them exactly what to do and where or what to get.
The thing with me is, I will break something expensive to build something totally unique and exceptional, if I fail, oh well, that was then one way to find out how not to do it and I will replace on my own time. But if that belong to someone else and it was expensive, well its a different story then isn't it.
But I don't mind sharing my knowledge (of what I have done) and that is why I joined here.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Aha… stretch it, gain real estate as a side benefit. 🤞

Longer wheelbase, more stable in fast straight line, poorer in slow tight turn situs.

As riders we change our position as we move from slow to fast (we hunker down to reduce drag which means we'd like to flatted out). How about a bike which does that (lengthens out tge wheelbase at speed, drops the bars… the rider naturally follows suit).

Not a new concept, swept wing variable form airframes. Posdible now at road bike level?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Aha… stretch it, gain real estate as a side benefit. 🤞

Longer wheelbase, more stable in fast straight line, poorer in slow tight turn situs.

As riders we change our position as we move from slow to fast (we hunker down to reduce drag which means we'd like to flatted out). How about a bike which does that (lengthens out tge wheelbase at speed, drops the bars… the rider naturally follows suit).

Not a new concept, swept wing variable form airframes. Posdible now at road bike level?
damn that would be so cool. I do recall seeing something like this before. not too sure if it was a concept bike or on a production bike. However, thinking about it should not be to difficult to do if you have fabrication skills. me personally, I like the twisties so The Black Bike is standard wheel base. Pennywise will be strictly a shown piece so I didn't mind stretching her. but since I went 45t rear sprocket on The Black Bike it tend to be very angry and jumpy. So since I changed the Fi to single sided swinger I'm thinking of experimenting with how much is too much stretch until you start compromising handling.

·
Super Moderator
8,903 Posts
Something you'll need will be a tensioner. The chain drive is going to limit your arm extension because it's going to change chain slack.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Meld two inspirations... the pure theoretical with the pragmatic empirical. Best of both worlds.

I take the stance that if it bugs me… fix it. If it can't do what my dreams imagine… find a way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts