Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Accoustic 'cameras' to be trialled in the UK ….. could be a problem for my DR!

Not sure if our government has got the feintest idea, I was talking to my MOT tester yesterday and our annual test takes into account the year of manufacture of the vehicle so my DR will be passed as road legal but will undoubtably fail the G'ments noise test, Ho Hum.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48564995

·
Registered
845 Posts
Big problem here in Thailand

We have many scooters running around with basically no muffler at all - just a straight through pipe and not only are they very noisy but the noise is absolutely horrible

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big problem here in Thailand

We have many scooters running around with basically no muffler at all - just a straight through pipe and not only are they very noisy but the noise is absolutely horrible
Probably not so bad but in France they have similar issues. OK I'm a bit of a petrol head but the sound of a small capacity 2 stroke with no silencer is not nice.
From a UK prospective I have a couple of issues with this, 'noise' and it's impact on humans is not something that can be easily measured. Will Harleys with Screaming Eagle pipes pass (load bass) but a higher pitch 4 cylinder fail?
Instant 'through the post' fines strike me as just another revenue raiser.

Then there is the age of the vehicle. A friend restored a 50's Triumph to perfect OE condition. He was pulled for a 'loud exhaust' the policeman wouldn't hear anything and a fine was issued. This was taken to court where my mate won but he had to spend hours getting original Triumph documentation from owners clubs etc etc just to prove that when built the bike didn't have a baffle fitted. This cost him a lot of money (not refunded by the Court) and several days off work to attend Court. Most people won't 'fight' even if they are in the right.

Then in the UK we have a nasty law of 'joint enterprise', basically if you are in a group and an offence is committed if the perpetrator can't be identified then everybody is charged/convicted. So you are riding in a group where there is one loud exhaust, the 'camera' picks up the sound and takes a photo or several photos of one or more of the bikes ........ how does the camera 'know' it has picked the right bike? To answer my own question it can't.

It will certainly be interesting to see how this works out in the UK.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,865 Posts
Probably not so bad but in France they have similar issues. OK I'm a bit of a petrol head but the sound of a small capacity 2 stroke with no silencer is not nice.
From a UK prospective I have a couple of issues with this, 'noise' and it's impact on humans is not something that can be easily measured. Will Harleys with Screaming Eagle pipes pass (load bass) but a higher pitch 4 cylinder fail?
Instant 'through the post' fines strike me as just another revenue raiser.

Then there is the age of the vehicle. A friend restored a 50's Triumph to perfect OE condition. He was pulled for a 'loud exhaust' the policeman wouldn't hear anything and a fine was issued. This was taken to court where my mate won but he had to spend hours getting original Triumph documentation from owners clubs etc etc just to prove that when built the bike didn't have a baffle fitted. This cost him a lot of money (not refunded by the Court) and several days off work to attend Court. Most people won't 'fight' even if they are in the right.

Then in the UK we have a nasty law of 'joint enterprise', basically if you are in a group and an offence is committed if the perpetrator can't be identified then everybody is charged/convicted. So you are riding in a group where there is one loud exhaust, the 'camera' picks up the sound and takes a photo or several photos of one or more of the bikes ........ how does the camera 'know' it has picked the right bike? To answer my own question it can't.

Wow, I thought the USA was screwed up but the more I read about England and what has been happening over there in the last 10 yrs... well, you guys are just screwed... but we seem hell bent to catch up with you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
This cost him a lot of money (not refunded by the Court) and several days off work to attend Court. Most people won't 'fight' even if they are in the right.

Yeah we get the same crap here in Oz, if cops can't do you for speeding etc they'll give you a yellow sticker (defect notice) and then it costs you money to take it over the pits to get checked and then if there are any repairs needed it's more $ before needing rechecking :mad: I know of 1 guy with a new Ducati that was defected 2 days over picking up a completely stock bike :crap:

Thankfully we don't have that here yet although we do have owner onus laws where if there is an offence it's the vehicles owner who cops the fine and demerits even if they can prove they weren't using the vehicle at the time UNLESS they can prove who was the culprit :thumbd:

Another way to milk the cash cow commonly known as the motorist.
Yeah we've got this quasi state govt group here in WA called the Road Safety Commission recently calling for ALL speed limits to be reduced across the board by 10kmh stating it will cut road deaths by 50% by 2030 :nono:

This constant "speed kills" crap is doing my head in, the yearly death rate from traffic accidents has hardly changed in 10 years despite the fact the numbers of drivers & vehicles has increased markedly in the same time and that they dropped the suburban speed limit from 60kmh to 50kmh in 2001 :huh:

Not surprisingly the RSC gets most of their funding from speed and red light cameras and other traffic offences :hmm:

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/on-the-road/controversial-plan-to-reduce-speed-limits-by-10kmh-in-wa/news-story/4b6753d6390c72bcc99ae3b2d0e22fdb

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
In Lincolnshire uk, they've been dropping speed limits, putting up cameras etc for the last few years. As you enter the county, they have road kill scoreboards comparing this year with the last. For as long as I remember the tally has risen each year as they add more lower limits etc. They don't seem to realise this though? In my mind, if you do something and the figures go up, it proves it may not have been a good idea?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Contrary to some opinions, I quite like having a quieter can. It's a bit louder than original but has a nice burble. Currently running Micron cans on original pipes.
The Remus race pipes and single sided can on my old Bird were so loud I would set off car alarms in the street. It was a drone on long journeys and my wife could hear me coming home from a mile away. Fuel economy was bad too.
Ironically they are adding noise to electric cars to reduce accidents. Go figure?

·
Registered
404 Posts
which is why i left years ago and moved to belgium
almost no road tax for a bike
no mot( annual inspection ) ever
and hardly ever a vehicle control on a bike as the cops dont know what to look for
if fact as long as your bikes are the same makers and colour you can get away with riding several on the same plate...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts