Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas

So I’m new to all this Honda HISS stuff I’ve previously only worked on Yamaha’s and Gixxers, I’ve recently picked up a 2004 Cbr1000rr for a banging deal knowing it was a project bike with no keys, So I’ve picked up r1s and gixxers that had no keys but still has the barrel and Ecu and had them sent away to get a key cut and coded through a locksmith for a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a whole set through a dealer.
With this CBR1000 though it has the Ecu and hiss ring but the actual key barrel is missing I’m just wondering if it would be possible to buy a used lockset off ebay from the uk for around the $150 mark and have a key cut and coded to the Ecu. Just wondering if anyone has done this and knows that it works and the hiss will cut off and allow the bike to start.

Thank you for any help regarding this.

·
Registered
861 Posts
The chip is in the key of a Honda with HISS.

You can get a key cut anywhere but unless you have the correctly coded chip for the HISS ring to read it won't start the bike.

Unfortunately - I believe that if you don't have at least one coded chip/key - the ECU is not useable.

·
Registered
1999 CBR1100XX
9 Posts
A locksmith broke my key in the ignition a couple of weeks ago and couldn't get it out. I bought a used set (key, gas cap, ignition, seat lock) on E-Bay. A honda shop installed it for me and made an extra key. The set works fine except the recently cut key is a bit sticky when I use it. I think it'll get better once the sharp edges from recent cutting wear off.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The chip is in the key of a Honda with HISS.

You can get a key cut anywhere but unless you have the correctly coded chip for the HISS ring to read it won't start the bike.

Unfortunately - I believe that if you don't have at least one coded chip/key - the ECU is not useable.
If im not mistaken if you have the serial nr of the bike that the ecu came off hobda can supply you with a correct key but its not cheap

1 - 4 of 4 Posts