Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, bought this for wifeys Bird

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Bike-Gear-Indicator-For-Honda-CBR929RR-CBR954RR-CBR1100XX-CB900F/202403505982?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Super easy and idiot proof install, works like a charm no pic but can post it up if anyone needs it.
Take off seat, disconnect negative battery terminal, remove 3 side panel screws (either side depending on which side to mount indicator to route wiring) remove both bolts at back of petrol tank and prop it up 4 inches or so.
Unplug connector that is covered up by a big rubber boot on the shift lever side of bike plug both ends of this inline the other wire tap into the YELLOW wire at the back of ECU (tap included) ran everything through a tough plastic loom material, triple check your tie wrap job, your re-mount of the ECU and clearance for wires etc re-attach negative cable install seat and program your indicator, I did mine right here in the driveway on the center stand initially.
Nice, dirt cheap upgrade.

No affiliation etc, but this unit was found in an older thread to which I thank the OP.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Can someone explain this to me, please?

I am not aware of any sensor or electronics on the XX that indicate to the ECU what gear the transmission is in.
As I look through the list of applicable motorcycles this device fits, I see bikes that should not, in my experience, have any electronics that indicate the gear position. Indeed, some of them don't have an ECU.

Yet this device hooks into the speedometer sensor, like a speedo healer, taps into the ECU, something I guess on non-ECU bikes, and reads the gear. Its like that old joke about a Thermos bottle...."it keeps things hot and keeps things cold, but how do it know???!!"

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I have one too. Works a treat. That connector it taps into has both the speedo and tacho signals. It correlates speed vs revs to determine the gear its in. That's why it needs to be "trained" by flicking through the gears.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Hey Leighb, thanks for spelling that out for me. That makes a lot more sense.

So what happens when you miss a shift, catch a neutral, or do something that mucks up its silicon mini-brain? Is there a quick "reset" to previous, or do you have to go all through it again, and is that an ordeal?

·
Registered
1 Posts
csn you put some fotos of the conector and where the yellow cable is of the ecu?
i ve bought a gear indicstor and i do not know where i have to plug in the conector? maybe you can post some fotos of installation

1 - 6 of 6 Posts