Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

Just wanted to let anyone know who has faded LCD gauges that I recently had a good experience with Gaugesavers.com. My gauges were badly faded and I was having a lot of trouble reading them. I put together an electrical schematic for the 16 pin connector (which was a pita by the way) which helped them tremendously since they'd never repaired a Blackbird gauge cluster before. Anyone is welcome to the electrical schematic I did. Just message me and I'll send a pdf to you. My schematic with a stacked 8-over-8 pin/connector configuration does not match the schematic in the Shop Manual which shows a flat 16 pin/connector configuration so take advantage of my work and save yourself a lot of grief trying to figure it out.

A couple of things to keep in mind when sending them your gauges. The LCD's are soldered to the board which makes this a labor-intensive repair. The LCD's have to be removed from the board to be repaired and then soldered back in place. Thankfully, only the back film on my gauges needed to be repaired. Repairing the front film would require the sacrificial removal on the decals on the faces of the LCD's. I'm not sure if you can find OEM replacements or not. The only options are to have Gaugesavers make some up, do it yourself, or go without. I got lucky.

You can expect to pay a base of $250 for the LCD repair. Now that Gaugesavers has experience with the Blackbird gauges they can probably estimate the cost fairly well for you. Send my electrical schematic with the gauges or you'll be dead in the water as I don't know if they made a copy.

Gaugesavers' communication with me was excellent throughout the process and I had no trouble getting ahold of the owners themselves. They impressed me with their professionalism and, best of all, they fixed my gauge cluster problem.

The speedometer in the "after" photo looks like it's still faded and a different color from the others. It isn't.

BTW, you can see my schematic on the pegboard behind the gauges in the "before" photo.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Thanks for posting Sunnybird. Maybe attach the pinout diagram to a post in this thread and one of the admins can file into the resource centre?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thanks for the pinout @Sunnybird - I'm curious is this something you find in service documents, manuals, or did you test it on your own and made the pinout? I only have official manual diagram and there's no detail on the cluster pinout whatsoever.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts