Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
They used to be known as "hero blobs". Wear them down and look a right hero down the pub. I imagine many a hero blob was attacked with an angle grinder for looks, just after the chicken strips had been sanded off the tyres 🤣

·
Administrator
9,369 Posts
Actually you really don't want to touch those. If you do start to you need to start getting your butt off the seat in the corners.
Depending on the age if your bird and your weight you can also touch down on the large lower fairing bolts on the lower fairings as well.

·
Administrator
9,369 Posts
Uh well mine are gone so I can neither confirm nor deny I've leaned it over that far.😁

Reactions: Nato

·
Administrator
12,928 Posts
The early hero blobs on Birds were not solid items but a tube over a threaded bar held on by the rounded section on the end.
Grind the end down and the tube fell off and you were left with a sharp ended threaded bar sticking out of the bottom of the peg.

I regularly saw this until I lifted my Bird (8mm at the shock) to give me more ground clearance.
20 years on I am a little lot more restrained but both my Birds remain higher than standard.

·
Administrator
9,369 Posts
Once I rebuilt my forks and adjusted my sag it stopped touching mine and my fairings.

·
Administrator
9,369 Posts
Wow. Impressed. I’m not game enough to get her down that far Bees. I will be trying to after I get Jamie’s kit and a new shock. The bird is too unsettled in corners with the (worn out) stock suspension.
I don't get it that far anymore. Sid a track day and made a point to get off the seat. Then after a chase round I had a rider coach who was following me tell me to get my butt farther off the seat lol.
But I do understand what he meant. Chicken strips are actually a misnomer. If your that far over on the tire your in a dangerous zone. You stand a very high possibility of actually riding off the edge of the tire (been there done that got the rashed fairings to show for it). So when negotiating a tight fast corner get your body mass off the seat and tucked towards the inner bar and tank. There's a reason GP riders can do crazy corner speeds.

Reactions: Nato
1 - 20 of 22 Posts