Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'98SBB,'07GS500,1969HARLEY SPRINT350SS,'07 CBR600RR
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay this may sound a little ridiculous but Serious inquiry here... be gentle. I have a 98 Blackbird everything's original except for the rear fender I just need to know is it possible to swap a 07 CBR 600RR front end with the black bird that I have? I'm really mostly concerned with the main shaft like are they the same width could I just take the one off to the CBR 600 and put it right on the Blackbird without having to disassemble the Blackbird first to see if they're the same? And since this is my first post let me just say I really appreciate this forum and all the info and invaluable knowledge you guys give me thank you so much

·
Super Moderator
12,854 Posts
As an engineer my answer is that 'yes the swap is possible' but again as an engineer the question I would ask myself is 'is this swap sensible' and my answer would be 'no'.

To get the RR forks to work well they would need considerable inside work, the RR is a far lighter bike so springs and valving would need to be changed before you dealt with the stroke length.
Then the forks themselves, I don't know their exact length but I do know they are a fair bit shorter than the Birds. If they are fitted at that length you will destroy the handling / ground clearance. Yes there are ways around this but generally they are messy.

So my summary is that the conversion is possible but personally I wouldn't go that way. If you really want to do a front end conversion the Busa front end conversion is a better option, yes there are still some issues to be overcome but far less than you will see with the RR forks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx Duck exactly what i was asking. Much appreciated . For the record the reason why I was planning on trying to use that's for that is because I'm on a very strict budget like I have no money and I have a 600rr sitting on my porch perfectly good parts on it that I can use to possibly upgrade the the Blackbird but if it's not really a feasible option that's why I'm asking so thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And the reason why I wanted to upgrade was because I change the fork seals on my 1100 and fucked something up probably because I didn't use the proper tool to put the seal in I said I used a metal pipe and I think I may have possibly damaged to seal a little bit because now it's leaking fluid a lot more than it was before I did the change and it took me two days to do it cuz I didn't really know what I was doing

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually just checked the length of the forks from the 600 and they are literally less than 1/2inch shorter do you think it would really make that much of a difference

·
Super Moderator
12,854 Posts
I actually just checked the length of the forks from the 600 and they are literally less than 1/2inch shorter do you think it would really make that much of a difference
That would make the difference, when Bird forks (in good condition) are dropped in the yokes more than 4mm you can start grounding the fairing out quite easily. This is why lifting the rear (to increase turn in speed) is more popular than dropping the front.
If you are short of cash a front end conversion really isn't the way to go, you need to change things like brake master cylinders, new brake lines etc.

Why not realise some cash from the RR and use that to upgrade the Bird forks? Several companies supply cartridges and they really make the difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya kind of the direction I'm thinking of going I actually don't have fairings on the bike. I like a naked bike generally and this is no different but when I got the bike it did not have fairings on it so I have not pursued them yet but if I don't get Plastics it's just as well for me the only thing that made me decide to try and use the bike is a donator bike is because the bird is my daily driver as it is right now and I just feel that it's not really safe bending corners and leaving the bike with fork oil on the tire that could cause a really ugly situation

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well duck... I did it... I succesfully swapped the front end with the one from my 07 cbr 600rr definately a PIMA! only problem is what to do with the two extra brake lines obnviously i cant just leave them hanging in there I know I seen something on your somewhere about bypassing the lines but I can't seem to find it the reason why I decided to go ahead with it is because as it was downshifting not even having to hit the brakes my front end was dropping considerably almost 6 inches basically taking a dive every time I slow down at all so putting the other friend in on their in my personal opinion had to be safer than what I was riding with even if it is 3 in lower and not to mention the constant oil mean splatter on my exhaust and my front wheel every time I stop was definitely dangerous around corners

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Well duck... I did it... I succesfully swapped the front end with the one from my 07 cbr 600rr definately a PIMA! only problem is what to do with the two extra brake lines obnviously i cant just leave them hanging in there I know I seen something on your somewhere about bypassing the lines but I can't seem to find it the reason why I decided to go ahead with it is because as it was downshifting not even having to hit the brakes my front end was dropping considerably almost 6 inches basically taking a dive every time I slow down at all so putting the other friend in on their in my personal opinion had to be safer than what I was riding with even if it is 3 in lower and not to mention the constant oil mean splatter on my exhaust and my front wheel every time I stop was definitely dangerous around corners
Hi, I see this post is a couple of months old now and was wondering how you were getting on with your swop?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's exactly as I preconceived it to be nothing too spectacular to report only that I like the adjustability of the 600 forks

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
It's exactly as I preconceived it to be nothing too spectacular to report only that I like the adjustability of the 600 forks
Your Bird doesn't wallow in the twisty's or bottom out on the bumpy bits?

I ask as I've got a CBR929 and I like the idea of swopping the front and back, like you did for the adjustability.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts