Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All disc bobbins (buttons, rivets or whatever they've called) were stuck on my front discs when I bought my bike. Cleaned them up and got them all to move freely and all was fine. But lately they've started to rattle quite bad. Not sure, but I think the rmovement rotation wise is beyond normal:

https://youtu.be/XpmLDbfDj3E

I tighten the bobbins someusing a bolt, nut and heavy duty socket:

All bobbins still move freely and there is still a small play in them. But the rattle is gone:

https://youtu.be/bemGs4I4Bjk

I took a short test ride afterwards. Did some heavy breakings including a couple from 200 km/h till completely stopped. They seem to work fine, no rattle, no vibrations etc.

But even if they work for now I don't think this much play is normal. What do you think, time for replacements?

/ Stromma

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
A small amount of movement is normal wear. When rattling, its time to consider replacement.

Somewhere on the world wide web are sold replacement bobbins for those do it yourself kind of people. But that link was lost a long time ago?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Somewhere on the world wide web are sold replacement bobbins for those do it yourself kind of people. But that link was lost a long time ago?
Ok. Not sure if it's the bobbins or the carrier that's the problem though. Problem when they get stuck is that it's easy to grind some of the carrier off when you try to free them up. I'm afraid that that's what happened in my case.

/ Stromma

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Race bike discs, like my HRC full floater 310mm disc on my 1982 750F rattle like nobodies business. If they did not i’d think something was wrong. Factory street bikes with floating disc tend to be much quieter as the purchasing public would never like the noise. There are kits to replace the factory bobbins with the the race looser versions.

T.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I think I mouthed off too soon.

If you can rotate the disc on the carrier, you need new ones. If the disc moves in and out on the carrier, no problem unless its a quarter inch of movement.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I had mine rattling like my old Ducatti race bike, it drove me nuts on town on the Bird with stock exhaust........replaced em with low milers, that I found on Ebay.
Never tried the bobbins as my time was more precious at the moment

1 - 7 of 7 Posts