Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all the Black Bird Riders,

My name is Alex and I am a proud owner of a second Super Black Bird, Blue Color 2002 with ~60.000 km on the ODD

Unfortunately i really want to ask for some advice / help to properly align the front counter balancer.
Long story short, i wanted to adjust all 3 balancers starting with the front one, the sad surprise was that the balancer pinch bolt assembly was so rusted that the nut broke off when i unscrewed it, lucky me i still have the 1st black bird that's for spare parts only (involved in a accident and frame snaped with engine cover), when i attempted to remove the pinch bolt assembly i also removed the axle that goes through the balancer and got it out of alignment (the front balancer), but after a few tries i concluded that i do not understand how to align it, here is what i did:

Read the manual and set the engine at TDC via the cover where the ignition is
Set to 2PM where the marks align (with a 14mm nut)
Got the oil pan off and saw the mark on the Counter Balancer Weigh
Aligned the balancer mark with the one near the lower crank case mark (while looking from beneath, sitting left side, near the balancer weigh, right side, there is a mark) as per manual if i understand correctly
Adjusted the axle that goes through the balancer, to match the manual, the small punch mark facing down, then after warm up, adjusted within the whining specs

After reassembly, the bike vibrates like crazy, the mirrors unfold just sitting idle, i am pretty sure i did not align it correctly and i also read a some forums about this but did not find what i was looking for, if there is someone who understands this better than i do, please share your knowledge with me 🍻

Thank you in advance for everyone who will aid me !

·
Registered
361 Posts
It sounds like your balance weight timing could be a tooth out.
When you did the TDC timing you need to rotate the engine clockwise, if you went passed the timing mark, you need to either keep rotating clockwise till your timing marks line up again, or perhaps go anti-clockwise about half a turn before coming up to the mark clockwise again. This will take up any slack/play in the gears and timing chain.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts