Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there , Newbie here , looking for some advice , not sure if i am in the correct category , i have owned my old Blackbird for the last ten years or so , great bike coming up on 50k miles on the clock , Pretty much trouble free riding tbh , recently i have noticed a judder from the front of the bike when i apply the front brakes , i have noticed that my discs have a small amount of forward and back free play ,the discs are in generally good shape and have around 4-5mm of thickness on both discs , i know they are floating discs and a degree of side play is to be expected but is approx 1 mm of forward and back freeplay too much ? do i need need new rotors or is it likely my headstock bearing is on it's way out ? , i have had it up on an Abba stand with the front wheel in the air and couldn't find any play in the headstock bearing ...please advise guys

·
Registered
312 Posts
Get the front wheel off the floor, abba stand is great for it, with the added bars and strap.
Now, make sure your bars are straight, then finger tips lightly to just of centre, going left and right, if your bearings are worn and there oem ball type, usually you will feel or see a slight wiggle as the bars gently goes past centre, its were the inner race usually has a wear notch worn in them.

In your ten years have you ever regressed them?
When you measure discs you need a micromiter so you measure the centre part, other wise you end up measuring the out side lip with vernier calipers instead, giving false readings.
If your discs are moving back and forward on the disc carrier centre, then I would get new ones, bobbins are worn.
Also have you serviced your brakes lately?
What are your pads like?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts