Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

I'm in the process of changing my fork oil.
I've drained them both and had them hanging upside down for about 3 hours so far to drain the last drops out.

My question is this:
When fully drained should the plunger offer any resistance to movement in either direction?

The reason I ask is that at the moment neither of the pair offer any resistance to compression but one resists rebound while the other doesn't.

Could I have inadvertantly done something to one that I haven't the other or could there be something wrong with one of them?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
There is probably some oil still trapped in the cartridge.
Try pumping the damper rod while the forks are inverted and see if that helps.
Hank

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hank - absolutely right - I pumped it some more both ways up and got some more oil out. Now both forks are moving freely in both directions. I will leave them hanging up to drain overnight then refill and reassemble in the morning.

Thanks again

Chris

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'd suggest putting some kerosene in each leg and pumping the hell out of the damper rod, then draining and inverting. The kerosene is a good interim step between an oil change and a proper tear down and inspection. It (the kerosene) will go a ways to breaking down and flushing the crap in the shim stack and the valving...
Glad that first bit of advice helped you out.
Hank

·
Super Moderator
12,696 Posts
Agree with Hank 100% about flushing the forks.
An obvious tip for re-assembly, when refilling comprehensively pump the damper rod and fork tube (independently) to ensure that the forks are fully oiled before taking the levels.
I do at least 10 slow pumps for both items (I think the manual says just 5 for the fork tube) and then finally sort the level.

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
Hi Chris!
I see you live in Pompey mate! I lived there for a good 6 years man!
How is Pompey doing then? Where abouts you live then man?:thumb:

Re the forks oil change, imho, that you have done the hardest part, which is to remove them off the bike. I would suggest you give them a dissasemble too, as you will never be able to properly clean them just by removing the old oil. Unless you have done it lately allready and you just want tochange the oil spec.
It really is not difficult to do man!:thumb:

Anyways good luck with it man and keep up posted.
You are very welcome to post an intro in the introductions section and tell us a bit more about yourself. Then we can all welcome you aboard too!

:welcome:

Cheers,
Chris from Greece

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Sorry new to the forum thing... but could anyone tell me how much oil goes into each fork on 2007 CBR 600RR... i know its SS47 or 10W but what is the specific amount sopose to be... the OEM amount i guess.?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts