Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, it's good to be back. I don't post here much but I'm still riding year round and loving my bird! I commute to work almost daily and the bird is just as smooth as silk and running as good as new (she's rolled over to 113k miles, woohoo!)

I'm getting a bit of fork fluid from on of my forks and it has been increasing. I've added a 'bit' just to ensure I don't completely run dry (It started as a slow leak months ago, and has increased) It doesn't seem to be the seals as there are no drip marks coming down. It's coming out of the axle and dripping off the left side (obviously as the bike leans that way) where the hole in the axle is. Could it be leaking from the allen bolt in the bottom of the fork? Would one of those have randomly backed out? I've ordered new seals anyway and will have a closer look soon, but it's a sneaky leak. Got to watch a sneaky leak!

Also, anyone try these:
http://amzn.com/B009Z1KQ2M

I definitely don't need them now that it's warmed up in Middle TN, but will consider them for next winter. They have good reviews and good price.

IMG_20150417_HDR.jpg

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
That little Allen bolt has a crush washer under it if I recall correctly. Is it possible it wasn't replaced the last time the forks were worked on?

Reactions: elvetost

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That little Allen bolt has a crush washer under it if I recall correctly. Is it possible it wasn't replaced the last time the forks were worked on?
hmmm.. very well could be. I'll be doing the brakes in a week or so and will probably go ahead and do the forks at the same time. I wanted to avoid taking them off if possible, but it may be time to do the seals and fluid anyway... I have no idea when they would have last been done. Although, the fluid is coming out nice and red (not all black and gunky)

·
Super Moderator
12,782 Posts
I would guess the crush washer as well (no Loctite on the bolt?) ..... if it is 'dripping' doesn't it come perilously close to the front tyre?

Reactions: elvetost

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... if it is 'dripping' doesn't it come perilously close to the front tyre?
Indeed it does. The wheel itself had some dribbles here and there but it had sprayed back on the caliper and plastic below radiator. It's not A LOT.. but it has increased, no doubt.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
The only way to get oil out of the bottom of the fork is past the crush washer. So if the leak is increasing in amount, the bolt is loosening. Take care of it soon. And I'd suggest making sure its taken care of before installing new brake pads...no sense in oiling down a brand new set of pads.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Update: it appears to be the fork allen/bolt. I put the bike up on the stand, took the front axle out and checked both fork bolts. One, I was able to turn easily by hand so I cranked that sucker tight. Hope that's all it was. Also, what's up with my axle? See the file marks? uploadfromtaptalk1429591204917.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1429591225421.jpg

It doesn't seem to be a problem but I thought it strange. I'm guessing that the PO maybe had trouble getting it back in and filed it? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me yet.

·
Super Moderator
12,782 Posts
There is no 'logic' as to what has been done to the spindle ...... apart from the PO should not be left close to files!

Since there is no set position for the spindle (just push in and torque up) I can't even imagine what was going on in the guys mind ...... there should be one on Ebay, not something that gets snapped up too quickly.

Good news about the allen bolt, keep an eye on it though if it has shaken loose once ..... generally crush washers don't like being tightened more than once so I would have a mental note to sort it when I had a few hours free and to get the oil level set correctly at the same time.

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
My guess is that some dummie had trouble removing the axle, stuck a pair of Vise grips on it instead of driving it out with a long drift, scabbed it up where the Vise Grip jaws slipped and slid around and had to file all the burrs off to put it back in.

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
Is that fork fluid or tire shine on your front tire. I think I see something shiny.

·
Throttle MODulator
2,735 Posts
Reckon it's the slightly overcooked HDR photo CB :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was happy to find that it only took me about 10-15 minutes to do the whole job and find the problem. So far so good. No more leak. The crush washer was there but has probably been crushed beyond it's normal crushable limitations :) Duck- Yeah, I couldn't find any logic behind it either, lol. It really is ok and doesn't have ill effect on anything.. just kind of ridiculously unnecessary. The axle can get jammed up, but I had a scissor jack under the front and would lightly adjust while aligning the wheel/tire. The axle came out as easy as it went it. Alignment is key.

CB, Epoc- I had just washed the bike in that photo, but the fluid had in fact dripped down on the rim. I'm not even sure why I posted that (?), but yes, it is a slightly overcooked HDR photo :)

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
You really should not be riding on that spindle man... Filing marks (let alone butchered axles) do make for stress risers and its the last thing you want on critical things like axles etc..
Imho, with that pic of the axle and the fact the allen bolts have backed out, I would definitely take the forks off, HAVE A VERY GOOD LOOK AT THE PARTS, throw some new seals, fluids and a couple of new washers in the bolts, just for the peace of mind. Pretty sure you may find other things you dont like when in there..
Good luck man!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^ wisdom you speak

Yeah, I think that's what I'll do. When I first got the bike, I had been riding it with a loose rear caliper (one of the bolts had loosened or some nutcase got caught up in his cigarette break)..I mean, wtfreak. I didn't notice until I did the breaks and was able to wiggle the caliper. The pads were eaten straight through and offset at a crazy angle. I think it's a good idea to give everything a good check as often as possible.

I am a DIY through and through. I really, really, really don't give people the benefit of the doubt anymore. Not for anything.

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
I hear you man. There's so many either home or "professional" "mechanics" out there that I only trust what I either do myself, or my childhood friend that is also the Honda mechanic in my hometown. Everybody else gets a question mark over their work and I always double check. Heck I double and triple check my own work all the time too!
:)

·
Super Moderator
12,782 Posts
elvetost said:
Heck I double and triple check my own work all the time too!
so do I, then I note it down that I have checked! I hate waking up thinking 'did I...?'
Not certain what part of the spectrum that places me on but you meet the best people there :smilebig:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts