Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, not sure whether this thread is in the right spot, but anyway.

I have footpeg feelers on my bird that are quite long, and then Honda went a bit shorter for later models. I am wondering why they are different lengths. I would have thought the bike geometry is the same.

I have a 2000 model with the longer feelers and I can only seem to get the shorter ones from Honda - just change up to the short feelers?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I ground the original long ones down and they bent and snapped off, or I removed them from all 3 of the XXs I've had over the years. I just left them off. You can put in any length that you want.

ominousone

·
Super Moderator
12,590 Posts
As far as I know the 'bank angle indicators' (Honda speak :D) have always been the same length for the Bird. The only difference between the earlier and later ones being that the later ones were solid. The earlier ones had a piece of tube over a stud with a rounded end on it. When you ground the end off the tube fell off and you were left with a piece of studding on the bottom of the peg :rolleyes:

I fitted short items when I fitted peg lowering blocks so I still have gentle indication when I'm close to touching the fairing down. Never seem to get there now that the suspension is sorted and the back end lifted.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Same as Duck, i have sorted rear suspension and she never touches down. The guys who regularly scrape them usually have worn out shockers. So are they 'bank angle indicators' (Honda speak ) as Duck says or worn shock indicators? :D

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Can't say about varying lengths as mine never had them when I bought the bike in 06 :idunno:
Glad it doesn't have them as I'd be touching them down all the time if I did, yes it was more noticeable in the early days before I upgraded my suspension but even now with 1.2kg/mm fork springs and a Wilbers shock sprung for my 140kg's I'll generally wear the sides of my boots down if pushing hard :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
8,133 Posts
Para
Suggest you start hanging off the seat. There's a fine line between lean and off tire patch. I was getting off seat during a track day and had a rider coach inform me i needed to get farther off the seat because I was running over the edge of the tire.
Ohh and I don't have the feelers either

·
Registered
182 Posts
Never knew they had longer ones than my 05 has......they make good anchor points for a bike cover when on a trip and there's no parking cover for the BB........;).

I also get off the seat when pressing on but have had Ohlins on from almost new..... never scraped my bank angle sensors either :rotfl:...... they are not really needed. I think they are just a bit of 1980's inscrutable oriental engineering for riding safety(?)..... might be more of a danger to following riders if one ever broke off. I think most Aussie BB riders took them off for better looks.......

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Para
Suggest you start hanging off the seat. There's a fine line between lean and off tire patch. I was getting off seat during a track day and had a rider coach inform me i needed to get farther off the seat because I was running over the edge of the tire.
Ohh and I don't have the feelers either
Ha ha I do actually get quite a way off the seat, although never close to getting a "knee down" :idunno:
I guess it's partly to do with my size 14>15 2E US boots as I generally only got right to the edge of the rear tyre when pushing real hard on the old shock :huh:

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Mine broke off years ago, My feet touching the ground tell me Im way over,
Exhaust or fairing scraping does the same,

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,523 Posts
I always thought it strange that they would be placed in such a position that when you need that sudden extreme lean to get out of a tight spot, (like going hot into a corner) you are going to have your peg pushing up against you. Never had them on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts