Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone... I'm new here, first post, be gentle... :)

I have a 99 Blackbird and I am looking to install some high-beam lights to assist the main headlight on dark roads..

Has anyone installed such lights? Where on the bike would you install them? (as the fairing covers pretty much everything..)

Which lights would you recommend? I'd definitely want to go LED, yet there is so much worthless crap out there on eBay. And specific recommendations?\

Thanks!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Good lights are not cheap, they're going to cost you a couple of hundred dollars or more to a set that will last through all the beatings the environment will dish out at the light assembly.

You have options as to where to mount, not a lot but you do have a few. You can mount on the mirrors using the existing bolts and a bracket. Or you can mount on the front fender or the pinch bolts on the forks. Then you have the fairing bolts you can remove and mount with yet another bracket there. You can also buy mounting bars to try to fit the lights in another unconventional spot. I've seem people mount lights using the windscreen bolts too.

Don't forget to use a good quality switch and a relay when you do the installation.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Ade& Deano,I take it they don't have any issues come MOT time?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
No issues whatsoever. Projectors have their own lenses. Bikes that run HID do not come under the new MOT issues either.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,947 Posts
I have seen people change from HID to LED bulbs. They all seemed like they liked the LEDs better. Deadman is coming to mind and I believe he has a thread on the forum with sources. For aftermarket lights to mount in addition I like PIAA and Denali lights. Not cheap but if you have a problem with their products they replace them. On #2 daughter's NC700X after about a year I saw moisture on the inside of one light's lenses. Contacted twisted throttle or RevZilla and sent pics of the light. They sent me out a new set and they paid to have old set shipped back. All I did was replace the bad light. Put old one in the new set and sent it back.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Put LED's in a few months back and love them. Dont even need to use High beams any more.
Also added some spotlights before i went to LED...not cheap but again well worth it. IMG-d9df874694402dda67520cc40fe8d4d8-V.jpg

·
Gobi One
7 Posts
G'day Team,

I too fitted good quality HID into the Low Beam and it makes a huge difference.... better than the whiter Halogens available at the time. Although no such thing as LED in 2009.

Not only much better at night but I notice cars on cross roads definitely see the brightness of the Xenon and actually STOP at their stop signs. I get a reassuring "flash" from on-coming cars in the daylight once in a while which I take as a very good sign I'm being seen.

Para045, I fitted HID in the Low Beam light but was reluctant to fit it in the High Beam due to warm up considerations. Did you fit to both and if so, any concerns about time lag for the High Beam to come up to temperature?

Cheers,

Gobi One

·
Registered
810 Posts
No issues whatsoever. Projectors have their own lenses. Bikes that run HID do not come under the new MOT issues either.
Agreed that projectors running HID is good for the MOT.

You had better tell the MOT stations that HID bulbs in normal headlights is ok for bikes because I know quite a few that have now failed.

The new regs basically say that if a reflector headlight in anything has the wrong light source - it is a fail.

·
BirdDog
542 Posts
I installed these over the winter, the real deal with the latest Philips LumiLEDS ZWS emitters which far exceeds anything by Cree. The beam pattern is perfect and the true white light is amazing. This improved my night vision and of course daytime visibility to other drivers. With these, you will never even consider auxiliary lighting. Top Technology! Ask for the "sealing grommets" when ordering...no extra charge. Gives a nice tight fit...simple install guys! Don't forget to study the "tech specs"

http://www.xenondepot.com/H7-Xtreme-LED-motorcycle-kit-p/xt-led-h7-pro-mc.htm

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Agreed that projectors running HID is good for the MOT.

You had better tell the MOT stations that HID bulbs in normal headlights is ok for bikes because I know quite a few that have now failed.

The new regs basically say that if a reflector headlight in anything has the wrong light source - it is a fail.
Unfortunately this IS stated in the regs from what I can see, but could the Britfodmt be that a H7 HID is designed to go in a H7 reflector?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts