1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
523 Posts
This looks like a cool idea, never figured they make bulbs with predefined blink function. I was looking into how to do it DIY route, but I think it would make a bit more sense to have the flashing occur if you stay on the brakes for "long", that way it indicates you're doing some major braking :D for example solid red when tapping the lever, but flashing if the brakes are pulled longer than a second, or something like that.

Many new cars have that option, I see it with all the new sportscars on the local track, every time they brake hard for the first turn the tail lights eventually start flashing.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Good idea! The stock BB tail lights (stacked one above the other) aren't the most eye catching design - I rode with a group of BB's for many years and noticed BB's did not have brilliant contrast for brake & tail lights.......so I fitted an extra accessory LED brake lamp to my BB, just to add a bit of extra oomph and the appearance of an extra light coming on above the stock combined brake/tail lamp.

I think you may need to check local laws/regs about flashing lamps..... they may contravene some DOT rules, if that is an issue, and in particular here in Australia, may infuriate following aggro judgemental idiot drivers if they nanny flash too often, or are painfully bright.

I like the idea of attention grabbing tail and brake lumens and a few quick flashes to wake up following drivers can't hurt in heavy traffic...... being careful not to over do it (eg false alerting) and send them back to dream land.

I am reminded of being stuck behind a Mercedes Benz sedan one evening, with brake lights so bright they made me feel sick and I had to shade my eyes while stuck behind them at traffic lights..... that was really awful......... but thankfully I've not had the displeasure of excessively bright non DOT approved brake lights since then..... maybe someone politely told them to turn their fog lights off for fine night driving?

It's a delicate balance for sure (y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you have to wire in a resistor to have the led bulbs work properly or is the resistor built in?

John

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have had these (or equivalent) for a few years in my ST1300. They are plug and play.
The OEM tail/brake lites on the ST are even worse than the BB. These or an improvement for sure.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Sounds like a good idea but I'd probably have to check our UK laws before fitting something like this. I was a little worried about my sequential indicators but they passed the MOT we have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts