Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help......should a 2016 fjr owner get a BB as a second bike? Im
Keeping the FJR.

So I’ve had a few bikes, loved my vfr800, in anniversary colours, but in the end found it was a bit small, hard to two up, and I felt a bit cramped. But very fun to ride. Sold it with a small tear.
Have a 94 fj1200, pretty to look at but really rides poorly. One of those bikes you could not afford as a teen ...etc.... now 50 so had to get one. Restored it and it’s a bit disappointing. Guess 30 years of technology matters. Lol
Have had a 2016 fjr since new. Driven all over western Canada and USA. Not much I can say about the fjr that has not been said everywhere else on the net. It’s all true, it’s a solid comfortable fast bike.

But something is missing for me... I want something like my VFR but a bit bigger, I don’t want a VFR1200 just don’t like the look. I don’t want to buy a leather suit and a $20k liter bike either. there are a few BB out there for about 5k. ...sooooooo

So considering I have a FjR will I notice the difference with a BB or is the FJR to close to it to make the difference worth owning 2 bikes I doubt I will notice that it goes 275km an hour that not my idea here. ... ( oh... no way I can sell the FJR just FYI the wife would leave me, she thinks it’s her bike and I’m just her driver she like two upping on it so much. ..lol)

Ive never driven a BB so whats the scoop.... so should I get a BB? I do like the look, the size, it’s a bit more forward leaning that’s the FJR. And in Vancouver BC twisty roads are a few min away in the mountains. But will it be a big enough difference from the FJR to make 2 bike worth while.

(Yeah I know..buying another bike is always worth it)

Thank for your input.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
When I first saw the thread title, my instinctive reaction was going to be to talk about how the FJR is probably the more relaxed long distance cruiser but your post is obviously way more well informed and nuanced.

While Honda made the Blackbird in 1996/8, it was probably way ahead of its time in terms of performance and refinement. Today's motorcycles though are starting to make the Bird feel its age. From that perspective, the Bird is probably not the upgrade that one would look for.

But to your point - the Bird is likely to be that little bit more fun given its relative lean forward riding position and flickability vs the FJR.

I wouldn't suggest replacing the FJR with the XX, but it's definitely worth a shot considering it as a stablemate. And at current prices, it wouldn't be an expensive mistake to make, if one could ever call a Bird a mistake. In case it helps, a lot of us already have or wouldn't mind having more than one XX in our garage.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Well a mate of mine just bought a 2016 FJR and I really like it, as I said in a different thread on here ,if I were to change my Blackbird it would definitely be for a newer FJR so I am opposite to you, so my answer would be have both if you can but I personally wouldnt trade a 2016 FJR for a Blackbird as much as I love it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW why dont you sell the FJ1200 ? And get a Blackbird ?
Yes, that’s the plan. The fj1200 will go, just what to get? The other option is a k1300s but way more money, reliability issues! Etc....Then of course the whole Africa Twin problem...arg....

·
Registered
293 Posts
:D....... I kept my 05BB when I bought my KTM 1290SDGT........ glad I did. It's so nice to have 4cyl sophistication under me even though I love the KTM for it's character and extreme performance....... but........ I have owned mine since new and know what has gone into it maintenance and riding wise....... BB has been discontinued for a looong time (I think the US stopped in 2003 but Aus had them till 2007)...... though examples surface with minimal kms/miles on their clocks, sadly at bugger all prices for the seller...... so age is the big factor here not mileages as the Bird will go 200k+ kms/miles with regular mtce .....

However, the stock BB is a very sporty ride position..... though it can be made quite comfy with slightly higher bars from a VFR800. When I had a permanent pillion passenger (ppp) she was very comfortable with just a top case behind her back, and she could 'see' using my mirrors, so I had an extra pair of eyes in traffic (we were hooked up with CB radio & intercom) and of course she was able to look easily over my fat helmet so she could enjoy the view ahead (unlike some sit upright bikes where the passenger can only gaze out to the side because the rider is in the way......). There is plenty of room on a BB for a PPP....... unlike my euro styled KTM...... awkward cross over style sporty sit up part adventure DNA bike with no center stand (no ppp these days so not really an issue :LOL:).

So BB is an excellent two up tourer...... on the sporty side, but can be equipped with suspension and side cases+top case. It has a long range fuel tank (23ltrs) and smooth motor........ however it can feel a bit heavy when pushing it around at a fuel station with a full tank and tank bag + luggage. The clip-ons are down low compared to higher handle bars on a tourer so this makes it feel top heavy in a car park. BB is 260kg wet (add luggage) FJR I think was 290kg wet including luggage, so there wouldn't be much saved weight wise once the BB was up to touring specs.

(y)

Would I replace a 2016 mode FJR with a ?2003? model BB.......... for PPP duties...........:unsure:

PS Hers's a pic of the 02 model I had with ppp...... sadly I have no pic of my blue BB with side cases etc.....

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi Aussie Dave.

To be clear, I’m not replacing the FJR with a BB, I’m keeping the FJR. What I am wondering is if the BB is that much different than the FJR to make it worth having. All my 2 upping will be on the FJR, got all that sorted, back rest, foot pegs, etc...

Looking for the BB to be my sport solo ride bike. Will the BB be enough change from the FJR to fit that bill?

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,579 Posts
With already having the fjr i reckon you might want something with more difference to suit the solo sports theme.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The prices of BB's has kind of bottomed out so if you buy one and decide it is not for you, you won't be out a lot of money. However, I doubt you will get rid of it. The smoothness, combined with the performance and looks make the FJR seem like a coal truck:)

I have had mine for more than 10 years and it will be part of my estate. I have 3 other bikes that I ride more, but the BB will be with me forever. Never fails to put a smile on my face.

Living in BC the biggest problem you will have is the frustration of not being able to exercise it appropriately.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I see the OP has changed the title and the wording of the thread it was originally swapping out the FJR for a Blackbird, so hence maybe a little confusion for those just tuning in .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[QUOTE="Bigmc, post: 645835, member:
I see the OP has changed the title and the wording of the thread it was originally swapping out the FJR for a Blackbird, so hence maybe a little confusion for those just tuning in .
[/QUOTE]
the original title I thought was clear, i was always keeping the FJR, never meant to imply I was swapping it out, perhaps it was confusing so I changed it so it was clearer. Sorry if it’s caused a bit of confusion.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,956 Posts
I had an ST1300 and by BB plus a Goldwing. Really liked the ST but gave it to my son as a wedding present. That's close to an FJR. ST was great and all. Wish I had it still but for pure grins and fun I rode the BB and two up the Goldwing. If your roads are all smooth with not a lot of cracks going across the road then stock suspension will be ok... but as you own it you should plan on suspension upgrades and then it is really a comfortable long distance Sport Tourer. I put Jamie Daugherty's full suspension upgrade on it and it made the forks adjustable. So good out of the box I never bother adjusting it. I'm 6'3" and I put Helibars on it it get me more upright. MRA Vario windshield and I ride with the adjustable lip down most of the time... until I get in rain or cold for a while. Put custom seat on it too. Then a major upgrade... I put Beestoy's Electronic Cruise Control on it. Wow, a huge difference on a 7,000 mile trip. Put DanMoto slip on mufflers on it as they are 1.5 pounds each instead of 15 like the stock cans. All this was done over 4 years. Haven't lowered the pegs and don't plan to. Next I'll be installing my LED headlight bulbs and I might put stainless steel brake lines on it and some clear switchback DRL turn signals. I'd be about done then
You can find a nice one for approximately $4,000 USD. Play with it for a while and if you don't like it then sell it for what you bought it for. It's not like the bottom is going to fall out on a 20 something yr old bike and another 3000 miles isn'tgoing to drop the price either. All the depreciation has already happened. I love the lines and never get tired of looking at the bike. I could go on and sing the praises of this bike and what it does for my soul when I am out swooped around the mountains or even humming across the great plains. Constant power and torque and hang on once over 7,000 rpm because you're going to go places in a hurry! Heck, next summer I'll even ride out to Vancouver to let you try mine... and I am starting near Chicago.
Go ahead and jump, you won't be sorry.

CHEERS,
XXGUY

Some light reading as I started my BB journey...

Reactions: ravi

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I had an ST1300 and by BB plus a Goldwing. Really liked the ST but gave it to my son as a wedding present. That's close to an FJR. ST was great and all. Wish I had it still but for pure grins and fun I rode the BB and two up the Goldwing. If your roads are all smooth with not a lot of cracks going across the road then stock suspension will be ok... but as you own it you should plan on suspension upgrades and then it is really a comfortable long distance Sport Tourer. I put Jamie Daugherty's full suspension upgrade on it and it made the forks adjustable. So good out of the box I never bother adjusting it. I'm 6'3" and I put Helibars on it it get me more upright. MRA Vario windshield and I ride with the adjustable lip down most of the time... until I get in rain or cold for a while. Put custom seat on it too. Then a major upgrade... I put Beestoy's Electronic Cruise Control on it. Wow, a huge difference on a 7,000 mile trip. Put DanMoto slip on mufflers on it as they are 1.5 pounds each instead of 15 like the stock cans. All this was done over 4 years. Haven't lowered the pegs and don't plan to. Next I'll be installing my LED headlight bulbs and I might put stainless steel brake lines on it and some clear switchback DRL turn signals. I'd be about done then
You can find a nice one for approximately $4,000 USD. Play with it for a while and if you don't like it then sell it for what you bought it for. It's not like the bottom is going to fall out on a 20 something yr old bike and another 3000 miles isn'tgoing to drop the price either. All the depreciation has already happened. I love the lines and never get tired of looking at the bike. I could go on and sing the praises of this bike and what it does for my soul when I am out swooped around the mountains or even humming across the great plains. Constant power and torque and hang on once over 7,000 rpm because you're going to go places in a hurry! Heck, next summer I'll even ride out to Vancouver to let you try mine... and I am starting near Chicago.
Go ahead and jump, you won't be sorry.

CHEERS,
XXGUY

Some light reading as I started my BB journey...

Yes, I think that's the plan, they are pretty low in price so I can just flip it if does not work out.
If your coming up here there are so many places to go. drive to Pemberton for sure. then the Duffy lake.., from there its endless. there are so many great rides around this part of the world, Washington state, the Oregon coast, and all of BC.. go to Calgary.. its endless.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Blackbirds are great bikes, loved mine over the 10 years I had it and sold it 3ish yrs ago. Was a solid well built and super reliable bike to own. Once it came time to sell it I stripped off all the aftermarket goodies outside of the Gen 2 Busa front end and returned it to as close to stock as able and a happy local guy purchased it. I then bought a ZX14 which I really liked but honestly it threw off too much heat so I sold it and bought a 96 ZX1100D.

The ZX1100D is pretty similar to the XX but it has more in the higher gears imho equal mods to each. I still have it and plan to keep it and then bought a ZX-9R which is a real blast and super solid bike. However now I purchased a 20 H2 SX SE, amazing but it should be for the cost, lol. So either the 9R must go or the 1100D BUT the 1100D is just so good for 2 up w Corbin backrest as one is not available for the H2 and doubt one will be but thats okay. Its my first and last new bike but it is awesome, no complaints at all

I still enjoy popping into this forum it is the best motorcycle forum as all the others seem to have migrated to facebook :( you can't go wrong with an XX or a ZX11, both are very good

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yes, that’s the plan. The fj1200 will go, just what to get? The other option is a k1300s but way more money, reliability issues! Etc....Then of course the whole Africa Twin problem...arg....
Sorry..... I see where I got defused, FJR and FJ1200 :LOL:...... should have known as I owned one and had a ride on the other........ So the BB will be a fine alternative to the FJ as a second bike and a big change from the super tourer FJR... (have a look at this errr.. gentle cruise :devilish:.... posted up by XXguy).... not sayin BB will want you to ride it like that all the time, or even some of the time, but..... it's nice to know the BB can do it with stability and class.... BB is happy doing both legal and not so legal riding duty (y) - just be sure to sit in one to decide if you can be comfy.

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
You can't go wrong with an XX or a ZX11, both are very good
Like to add a bit to this statement. Look for the later 96 and up ZX11's D6 or better they fixed the transmission issues. If you do happen to find an earlier version check to see if they have swapped in the newer gearbox. The problem lies with 2nd gear it will pop out. Taking out either gear beside it and itself. 2 of the 3 gears were still a year ago. But one is no longer available new at the time I did get lucky and found 1 of only 3 still left worldwide. Also you'll need to check the shift drum and fork. the kick out has been known to bend the fork and notch the drum track.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Like to add a bit to this statement. Look for the later 96 and up ZX11's D6 or better they fixed the transmission issues. If you do happen to find an earlier version check to see if they have swapped in the newer gearbox. The problem lies with 2nd gear it will pop out. Taking out either gear beside it and itself. 2 of the 3 gears were still a year ago. But one is no longer available new at the time I did get lucky and found 1 of only 3 still left worldwide. Also you'll need to check the shift drum and fork. the kick out has been known to bend the fork and notch the drum track.

I agree with you, mine is a 96 1100D:)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just my experience:

After many years on my Goldwing (still loving it), I was walking through Budapest one day and fell in love with a Blackbird. I fell hard. I can close my eyes now and still see the sun shining on her.
Came home and lived in lust for a few years, and bought an FJR as a second bike. Yes, it’s all true. Can’t think of one thing about the FJR that I don‘t like.
Finally the lust won.
A guy in town was selling his ‘02 Bird and I couldn’t resist.
OMG, it was worth waiting, and then some.
I won’t repeat the usual glowing stories and spoil the surprise.

About three years ago I gave the FJR to one of our sons - a great excuse for a 1200 mile road trip to deliver it. Still miss it at times, but glad that I kept these two.

You won’t be sorry.
I promise.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts