Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well last Saturday night (4th Feb '17) I was invited by BadBirdXX and Epoc to go out to Willowbank Raceway just west of Brisbane here for a "Race ya mates" night just for a bit of fun. It's been stinking hot here this year and I wasn't going to go but changed my mind at the last minute, geared up and traveled out there. I've never drag raced before and of course all the usual nerves etc applied to me. Was I going to lose it? Would I make a clown out of myself and do a 19 second pass or something?

All I can say is if you get a chance, give it a go.

Everyone out at the track was fantastic. My first run was against a guy who worked at the track and both he and BadBirdXX gave me lots of useful tips. I did two passes (there were 70 bikes out there) and although it looks like nothing on the video I have to tell you for a newbie it's harder than it looks. There is a lot to think about to get everything right. My own personal goal immediately was to do less than 13 seconds that would be enough for me. My bike is completely stock.

I'm pleased to report that my first pass was 11.98secs @ 119.93mph and second pass was 11.67secs at 122.11mph. The second pass was despite my reaction time blowing out to 0.404 :mad: funny I don't remember the nap! Whilst less than the machine is capable of, I'm thinking I didn't completely disgrace myself.

Thanks BadBirdXX and Epoc for the information and moral support.

Thanks also to Partsguy and the others who have posted drag tips, you never know when the posts you make will help and inspire someone else

Side View:

On Board View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF4Ih1-ZFno

Time slips in the PDF attached:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Good job on your first time out. Watch it, it can get addictive for sure. You'll have to get a vid on your next time out. haha You came out of the hole way to low. Bring the rpms up to start then more as you launch as you let the clutch out with some slippage to keep the front down and rear from spinning. The clutch can take it. Get some "No-Doze" for the starting line.............................lol

Reactions: teef.au

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well done for taking the plunge teef, 'they' say it is addictive, how do you feel today?
well mate at 53 years old racing in Leathers in summer heat I feel more like I've been run over by a truck than excited. For my generally conservative nature I'm still pleased to start with high 11s.

I wouldn't mind bringing that down down to low 11s and there's obviously scope to do that. See how we go when the weather cools down. I see clearly you make or break your pass in the first 30'

As Partsguy suggests it was as much as social thing for me as anything else.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fair play teef. One thing i've always fancied having a go at. Just gotta practice dumping the clutch at high revs without pointing the front wheel at the sky. :O
clutch control off the line to me seems to be everything. I had read posts that the Blackbird clutch is very "bitey" under stress and if you look at the video you can see that this put me off. I thought I was feeding it in but it just seemed to bite in a split second and I knew I would lose even more time if it hooked up.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
clutch control off the line to me seems to be everything. I had read posts that the Blackbird clutch is very "bitey" under stress and if you look at the video you can see that this put me off. I thought I was feeding it in but it just seemed to bite in a split second and I knew I would lose even more time if it hooked up.
It does bite,it's miserable for drag racing.I put up with inconsistent 60 ft times for 3 years before I did something about it which I don't recommend for street use.Eventually with the front strapped down,launching at around 7000 and -1/+1 gearing I could do low 1.7's and 10.5 10.6 all day best was 10.43 and that was with stock exhaust.But my first day was horrible,I'd had 3 years on a set up CBR600 and figured on 10.5 first day.HA! I think my first pass ever on the Bird was 11.1 or something,I did finish the day with a 10.78 but I wasn't happy at all.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
This helped me launch my 1000rr a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaOOLXTxewg
Just don't launch at 3000 rpm,lol,do that on a Blackbird and a 3 yr old on a tricycle will beat you to the 60' light.

Smooth is fast, gotta be one of the oldest lines in racing.Every one of my best passes was always smooth,people think it's all in the 60' time but there is a big difference in how quick you can shift and your ability to keep the bike in peak power range compared to shifting too soon or even too late,cutting too much throttle.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
1 race to go as fast as I can, not to make my clutch last.Btw I get about 100 miles or so to a set.
The point is a ZX14 makes tons of low down torque,about 80-85 around 3500 rpm from the dyno charts I remember seeing in 2012.The XX makes about 80 at around 8000 rpm (I'm at 85),they are two VERY DIFFERENT animals.I'm not arguing with anything Ricky has to say,never would.
I'm willing to bet I've done more runs on an XX than he has tho'.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The best thing he described was the working of the clutch and throttle at the exact same time. You will slip the clutch a tad but it's hardly noticeable when your doing it because it only lasts about 1-2 seconds. That's the loading of the clutch he talks about. You are not trying to slip the clutch as much as getting a smooth engagement by having a little slippage. After that the clutch is all out and now it's throttle control.

As Partsguy points out each bike is different. Sounds like the Z14 has a ton or tongue so you don't need rpms like you do with a smaller motor. You're just chasing the torque for a solid launch. Same as car racing, just different lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts