Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I'm excited to see that there is a community dedicated to these bikes. I recently acquired a '99 that doesn't run so I'll be spending a lot of time reviewing the Tech section. I currently have multiple machines from a bunch of different manufacturers. Just Japanese and German though. Again, I look forward to bending ears and helping however I can too. Cheers. Mark.

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
Welcome Mark

·
Registered
326 Posts
Welcome from the UK :thumb: - where are you based?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome. I'm based in Victoria B.C. Canada. I have come to realize why my "new to me" Bird doesn't run. After looking through the "Loom fix" threads, that someone has cut the connector off without marking them. Awesome!! That only means there are many millions of possible combinations! Hahahaha!

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
Mark
Do a thread search I know there is one in there that calls out the groupings. It should help you sort them out.

Reactions: 1999Mark1

·
Registered
434 Posts
so its an injection
so besides the loom error that you have found out from the earlier other message how to sort out there may be other issues linked to the efi system its its been sitting around for a while
even if mine is a carb version im interested to get a efi one as well and so i have been reading up on the efi system
if you look at my posts i had enough issues getting the carb one to run right due to earlier owner mishaps and bodges
there is a rather good article on the warning light flashing code
this is a good start for efi computer logged errors and can speed things up
but there are plenty of other errors that can happen with no code being logged
off the top of my head i remember reading about
- failed pumps replace motor
- failed filters as too full
-failed pressure regulator that lets fuel dribble into the cylinders and dry out the bores and thins out the oil ( check for petrol smell in the oil )
- stuck injectors due to varnish ( ultrasound cleaning )
- a myriad of harness issues due to the wires corroding and copper core becoming black
- generator/ stator and rectifier issues
- battery issues
- there are plenty of others but so far ive lost track
so if you dont want to tear out all your hair you need to take a pretty step by step investigative procedure and check and fix one thing at a time of you will loose the plot and get very frustrated
my guess would be to start off to
make sure that all the electrics cabling works and has continuity
make sure the electrical components work
make sure the injectors can open and close freely and deliver fuel
make sure you are getting a decent spark
then you might just get lucky
have fun and keep us posted

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Paul.

Thankfully, all the lights work properly and it turns over well but, there is no spark and the fuel pump isn't being activated. (no power at the plug for pump) It will certainly be a step by step thing. I'm going to test the fuel pump tonight.

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
Betting pump is good. Where is the bike located. Look on the gauge cluster for a small key symbol you my have HISS which will immobilize the bike as you describe.

·
Registered
434 Posts
indeed as below if an immobilizer is fitted it may be that
they are known to cause a lot of grief and are often disconnected by the new owner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts