Honda CBR XX Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Well TM, looks like you raised a real shitstorm with this thread - way to go!:clap:

But...to summarize if I've understood the thread correctly:

- The older one gets..errr pardon me...the more "experienced" a rider is, the more they say don't get it; they're afraid you might drop the bike, hurt yourself, or someone else.:nono:

- Lot's of this:
:blahblah:
- And then of course - it's a little bit weighted up top :boobs: - nothing wrong there, most can figure out what to do with that.

So in the end - where does it all lead :shades:?

Well, - at least everyone agrees on one thing: take the appropriate bike training!
Do that and in the end, I hope you get bike you want and feel comfortable learning to get to know it.

Let us know what you decide - and post some pics when you get it!
:ttiwwp:
Cheers and good luck! :cheers:
:plus1: Bravo!
STex

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The 650cc thumper is a better choice for my first bike, I know. It's probably way more agile and I'll like it better getting acquainted with that kind of thing rather than having a Blackbird under my ass. We'll see.
Actually the thumper will be a better bike to learn on. It should be way more agile and light. You can make mistakes on those type of bikes and recover easier compared to the heavy BB (580lbs). You'll have less power but that will make you learn how to carry your speed into and out of corners better. You'll learn all the basics easier/faster because the bike is more flickable . It's a way more fun time learning handling,braking and throttle control, IMO.

The only bad thing about the BB is it's a tank to push around or ride slow and never get near gravel. It's a real ball buster trying to pick up off the ground. I had to do it saturday in my driveway. Damn near dropped a nut..................Wish I had that thumper instead.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
It's a real ball buster trying to pick up off the ground. I had to do it saturday in my driveway. Damn near dropped a nut..................Wish I had that thumper instead.
Some how I feel Joy in reading this.
STex

·
Registered
148 Posts
But Blackbird being heavy as you said, seems like it might be problematic to me, although I do work out and with all respect, I think I'm in better shape than some BB riders I saw online, guys in their 50s and so, not trying to be mean just rational.
LOL nicely put whippersnapper HeHe
Guys I think we need to consider photoshop :)
What I think you have to remember as well is that at the 50 mark some have lost friends or relatives to bike accidents so tend to side with caution,here in the UK the roads are not very forgiving.
But I do wish you you happy trails on whatever you decide to buy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would really suggest a test ride of one BB, there should be one near you (friend, a friend of a friend and so on). In my opinion the bike isn't at all that important - first or fourth (like in my case for example). I made the mistake to underestimate myself a couple of times and bought some smaller bikes as a precaution but believe me - you can get yourself hurt on a vstrom 650 just as easy if you are the kind of guy who goes full throttle.
Our bikes are really calm and easy going if you can restrain yourself from risking it all on a couple of turns. It forgives many mistakes (speaking of experience) when you misjudge the correct speed to enter a curve but it is a heavy bike and not made for track records. When on the highway can't imagine a better bike to be on, really!
I have a friend that bought gsxr 1000 k9 for a first bike and he's alright (4 years later) but that's again personality of the rider. He's really calm and in control of his emotions when on his bike.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Something no one here has suggested is the possibility of going with an experienced rider as pillion. And asking the rider to "put it through its paces" so to speak.
If I were living nearer I'd happily oblige.
Having said that. You've stated that you're into photography. Why don't you look into getting an adventure type bike that has the potential to go off road, or "green laneing" as we call it in the UK. Something like a Triumph Tiger 800 or similar will gain you plenty of experience riding all manor of terrain. And get you to places to photograph that only hours of hiking would normally get you.

There. My sensible head has spoken.

"The Lunatics have Taken over the Asylum"

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'd rather share my experience then answer your question point blank. The BB is my 5th bike and I had been riding for 5yrs when I bought it. I learnt on a CBR250R and I've owned and enjoyed naked, cruiser and other sports bikes in the meantime.

Test riding the BB, I felt like my riding skills had evolved to the BB level. I appreciate what it takes to ride, be safe and have fun on the BB through experience on other, differing & all smaller bikes.

It is up to you, but aiming for a BB in a year or two after laying down some kilometers on a tight 600 or maybe 900 would go a long way.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am currently trying to figure out what will be my first real motorbike. I've ridden children mopeds every now and then but like everyone here, I don't consider that anything crucial to this dilemma that I have.

So, why do I want a Blackbird? The reason is stupid and has nothing to do with Blackbirds engine/drive specs. It was just the bike one guy had, in my neighborhood, I admired his lifestyle, he always went traveling with that bike and seeing a dirty black BB always reminds me of him and of me fantasizing to travel around this world like he did.

Now that I'm in position to buy that bike, I'm wondering, is this a good move? Of course everyone on every forum would vote "no". Or would they? I just want to have a reliable, robust, travel-ready (and one day, 2up ready) bike that won't lose value (I really think it will become more appreciated as the time goes by), bike that has a big fan base and long history of admirable reputation for being reliable and driveable in both sport or touring driving styles.

I'm 6'3 220 so I know that I'll have to get some VFR handles and Buell pegs and sort the rear shock, eventually, if I decide on riding 2up frequently.

I know a lot of people say that BB's power delivery can deceive and get you in the risky situation really fast, but it makes me wonder...if I can't control myself, the throttle, will it really be easier if I drive something like V Strom 650? How much of a difference does it make if we're talking accidents?

I had a pretty fast car when I was 21 and the only time I crashed it is when I was going 25 mph, on a intersection, my fault, got my passenger doors caved it. Other than that, 50 000 miles of cruising in a car that most guys that age would drive full throttle. But that was of no interest to me. Some friends were asking me "if you don't like driving fast, why didn't you buy a slower car" which is really a stupid question, in line with "if you drive over the road legal speed limit, why don't you go to the track or become a professional race car driver".

Am I making any sense here or am I just fooling myself into thinking I could have a BB as my first bike without repercussions? Is anyone here in that category, first bike BB?

Thanks guys :)
As an experienced MSF instructor, I'd say that the commentary about the weight of the bike is correct, but ANY bike can hurt you if you don't respect it! I'd advise practicing in a parking lot at LOW speed to get a feel for the weight of the bike, and get frame sliders or take take the fairings off when you practice. Take some advanced courses on a closed course on your bike as soon as you can as well, so you will know what YOU can do with your bike.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Well Tom did buy a Bird as his first bike (an 02 Bird back in 15-16 I think) and hasn't killed himself yet! He's still active in the forum.

@-Tom-, with hindesight, what would you now say in answering your own original question?

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
Well Tom did buy a Bird as hus first-round bike (an 02 Bird back in 15-16 I think) and hasn't killed himself yet!
... and so did Foeux who is still an occasional visitor here and I am still in contact with. Those of us who have met and ridden with Foeux will agree that his lack of age (compared to a lot of us) and riding experience meant nothing, mindset plays a big part. There again Foeux does have the advantage of being big and strong and can easily flat foot both feet with a shock shim in, something I can only dream about. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Why am I getting replies on a thread from 2015? :D

I still haven't made my mind up regarding the bike purchase, I'll give it some more time and MSF practice, and make my decision some time later. Will keep you posted! :D

61 - 73 of 73 Posts