Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently trying to figure out what will be my first real motorbike. I've ridden children mopeds every now and then but like everyone here, I don't consider that anything crucial to this dilemma that I have.

So, why do I want a Blackbird? The reason is stupid and has nothing to do with Blackbirds engine/drive specs. It was just the bike one guy had, in my neighborhood, I admired his lifestyle, he always went traveling with that bike and seeing a dirty black BB always reminds me of him and of me fantasizing to travel around this world like he did.

Now that I'm in position to buy that bike, I'm wondering, is this a good move? Of course everyone on every forum would vote "no". Or would they? I just want to have a reliable, robust, travel-ready (and one day, 2up ready) bike that won't lose value (I really think it will become more appreciated as the time goes by), bike that has a big fan base and long history of admirable reputation for being reliable and driveable in both sport or touring driving styles.

I'm 6'3 220 so I know that I'll have to get some VFR handles and Buell pegs and sort the rear shock, eventually, if I decide on riding 2up frequently.

I know a lot of people say that BB's power delivery can deceive and get you in the risky situation really fast, but it makes me wonder...if I can't control myself, the throttle, will it really be easier if I drive something like V Strom 650? How much of a difference does it make if we're talking accidents?

I had a pretty fast car when I was 21 and the only time I crashed it is when I was going 25 mph, on a intersection, my fault, got my passenger doors caved it. Other than that, 50 000 miles of cruising in a car that most guys that age would drive full throttle. But that was of no interest to me. Some friends were asking me "if you don't like driving fast, why didn't you buy a slower car" which is really a stupid question, in line with "if you drive over the road legal speed limit, why don't you go to the track or become a professional race car driver".

Am I making any sense here or am I just fooling myself into thinking I could have a BB as my first bike without repercussions? Is anyone here in that category, first bike BB?

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
Do you have a class 6 through taking a motorcycle safety course? Have you taken any advanced riding courses? If you want one, buy one but be prepared to live with the consequences of ownership of this bike. Anyone can drive a car, but safely riding a moto, is another issue, imo. At 6foot 3 and 220 lbs I think you are less likely to need risers than shorter and lighter riders. Try not to become a rip post. I am sure you will drop it and reappear as wanted to buy post, lol

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did take msf course and will take up more of those in the near future, before I buy the bike.

What are the consequences of ownership of BB?

About becoming a rip post, c'mon...that is a bit harsh.

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
http://www.cbrxx.com/general-motorcycle-discussion/26451-what-what-great-beginners-bike.html It's reality when unskilled and untrained riders get on big powerful bikes. Plus it is a mind field on the roads these days, not like 10 years ago, or so. Where is CR. Most new rider drop their bikes, so do experienced riders. Why not buy a 600 ride it, drop it, practice on it. Are you a patient man. Go for it, it is your money and your goals. A 2nd hand 600 is fairly cheap and a good learner bike. Read the tread above for more opinions. One of the best places to hone your riding skills is on the track and taking advanced riding courses. Plus putting on lots of mileage.

Reactions: BinosXX

·
Registered
81 Posts
Blackbird was my first bike, buying one about 5 months after passing my test. I had jumped straight onto Victory and Indian cruisers after passing, so wasn't completely green. Is it a suitable first bike? Well it's docile and maneuverable at low speeds, but as fast as you need when you want it to be. The difference is up to you and your restraint, I took me a long time building up to extending it more comfortably, plus I've read the Motorcycle Roadcraft book and done a Bikesafe course.
It can get you into trouble very quickly (more so than most bikes), but other bikes may be more suitable straight from the off....

·
Registered
109 Posts
One word... No... Bird is not a great first bike. You will surely regret your decision.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Depends on who you are. Some can never handle a powerful bike, others know the risk and respect their bikes.
I bought a Ninja 600 when I was 19 only having limited 3 wheeler atv experience.
I was bored and wanted a more powerful bike within a few months.
You could "learn" on a less powerful bike. You may think 600 cc's is more than enough, or you may get bored quick.
My theory is " you can always ride a fast bike slow"

I'm a power junky and always end up wanting the biggest and most powerful anything. Funny thing is the bigger and faster bike or car I own the slower I ride/drive. Common sense will tell you that it doesn't take much to let your bike run off and hurt you.
Ride the bike, don't let it ride you!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Take the appropriate safety/riding courses to learn how to ride a bike properly, wear the right gear and you can ride anything. I don't buy the "don't ride a big-boy bike" theory. You ride the bike, you control the bike - that's what a good riding course will teach you.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Greetings TM45,

Listen to ReefDiver and 2000 Blubird,,,much common sense there.
Don't listen to CanidianBird today as he is spouting to much negativity, although has some good points.

Just go buy the machine! Your a big guy so U should be able to handle it's top heavy weight.
Just because it has power doesn't mean U have to use it.

This will be a dream machine for you, I just know it from reading your post.
Take a riding course and most of all when U ride,,,, ATGATT (all the gear all the time)

Most of my drops were in the drive way.:huh: it's one heavy sucker when it's off it's balance point.
STex, out

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
When new into biking there is a lot of new 'stuff' going on and a different mindset to car driving is needed.

The Bird riding position is not 'natural' for most so when getting used to it that is another thing to think about (don't lock arms, keep weight off wrists etc).
Get that sorted along with the low speed 'top heavy' nature of the Bird and then life gets far easier.
A good trainer should be able to get those issues solved and then it onto the riding.

That said I came 'late' to the Bird (well they had been around for nearly 2 years!) and I instantly found what I had been missing in so many other bikes, something I'm glad about since I appreciate my Birds even more .....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Most motorbikes will be capable of acceleration that can make you lose control, and speeds that can kill you. Top speed of 80, 100 or 200 mph doesn't really matter; how you actually ride does. As a beginner's bike, I think the XX has two drawbacks. It's heavy which makes it harder to maneuver at low speeds, compared to smaller bikes (and bikes with more upright seating position). And it's so damn well balanced that it may tempt you to go very fast, unlike smaller, less steady bikes where you get a more correct feel for how fast you're going. My previous bike was a FZ6; at 70 mph it was about as exciting as the XX is at 90.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I had a CBR600F and it was a great first bike. It was an older one with about 88bhp but it looked fine and went fast. I don't think I'd have handled a Bird at first. It was a shock enough coming from the 600's, but only because of the bulk and weight. I dropped my 600's a few times, so I'd recommend something cheap and expect to repair plastics!

·
Registered
702 Posts
You can do it. Would I recommend it to a friend? No, I'd try to talk them out of it. It's not that you can't control the speed, the power band is pretty friendly at low rpms. It's the weight and getting used to maneuvering the bike.

If you decide to go for it, just take the plastics off and do a lot of parking lot practice. Don't forget to put the kickstand down, even vets do that every once in a while.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Doesn't matter what bike you ride, always ride within your own capabilities .
Never play follow the leader.
Stick to the highway code.
Keep to those rules and any bike will be fine for your first bike ( well perhaps not if your a 8 stone puny then a Road King is probably not a good choice )but you get my drift .

·
Registered
83 Posts
You didn't state your age. Most young men suffer from testosterone poisoning several times a day. When this happens guys get just plain stupid. When you are riding a bike as explosively fast as a Bird you can get way over your head in just a few short seconds. The other point is defensive riding. This is what keeps us alive. When I am riding, I am constantly accessing my situation...where am I going to go if that guy runs that stop sign? You all know the mental drill. Why I love bikes, and I've had many over 50 yrs of riding, is that when I'm riding it is all I'm thinking about. Any worries about my business or personal life vanish like magic. If I was concentrating on the bike I would be less of a defensive rider, and for me that would be dangerous. I'm an old fart here and probably a more conservative rider than most, but the last street bike I crashed was an R50 BMW in 1966. I had a badly damaged ego and a destroyed Avon full fairing. I wish each of you an equally long and safe riding career......Chris

·
Registered
723 Posts
Like Chris, S.I.P.D.E. Is always going thru my head when I'm riding.
Scan, Identify, predict, Determine, Execute.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Forget about the Bird as a first bike. Get some experience on a lighter and less intoxicating bike first. Build it up gradually. If you don't, you either get into trouble or you get scared. And if you do get a Bird, please get yourself a decent course on defensive riding. They don't produce Birds anymore, so every bike wrecked is a loss for humanity ;-)

P.S. : Read the book: Keith Code-A Twist Of The Wrist Volume II. If you feel you master the technique on a 600, then switch to a 1000+ class.

Reactions: Effem

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The Bird has 2 main drawbacks as a first bike:

1. Its top heavy and challenging to manoeuvre at low speed, so its very likely you will drop it in a driveway or doing a U-turn. I have 40 years of riding experience, and I did.
2. Its deceptively fast. You can be doing 80mph before you know it, and not feel like 80mph. Hitting things at 80mph is bad.

My first bike, many years ago, was a Honda 500-4, and it was plenty powerful enough for me to get into trouble and learn how to ride defensively. Looking back on my own experience, which is the only gauge I have, I might not be here now had my first bike been a Bird.

So my advice to you is get a 600, learn to ride it to a point that you can challenge litre bikes, then get a Bird

Think of it this way - you will live much longer if your ability to ride outstrips the capability of the bike. The other way around is fraught with danger.
(Having said that, I'm not claiming my ability to ride outstrips the capability of the Bird! But at least Ive closed the gap somewhat ...)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I whole heartedly agree with the two points raised by a couple previous posters. Being heavy with all the weight up top makes it pretty unforgiving if you make a mistake balancing it at low speed it will go down. And it has so much power it will tempt anyone to see what it can do, and it'll quickly put you in situations that you may not be able to handle. At speed it is forgiving, and does what you are looking for extremely well. But as a first bike I think something like a vfr800 makes a little more sense, can always step up to a blackbird when you've got some miles under your belt. I know I would have benefited from having additional miles under my belt before getting my bird as its so heavy it's hard to play with and learn to be a better rider, at least when compared to a lighter bike. Something like a vfr or vstrom can do what your looking for without being as unforgiving allowing you to learn at a more comfortable pace without the fear of wrecking your dream.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 73 Posts